Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best-value accommodation at Swiss ski resort

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
I am looking a single room at a Swiss ski resort for early December 20111 and would love to hear from anyone who has stayed at a Swiss ski resort at that time of year, especially if you found it great value.
Look forward to your comments.
Thanks
Peter
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
plv01, I stayed in Saas Fee around that time a couple of years ago. If you look at www.saasfee.ch there is an accommodation search on the home page.

I stayed at the Hotel Europa in a single room, which was very nice and at the time only cost about £40 per night B&B. I've done a search and it's now coming up at around CHF85 per night (~ £65), that's the exchange rate for you. It's a bit of a trek to the lifts from there, but they had heated ski storage facilities at a hotel near to the lifts.

Saas Fee is high with summer skiing on the glacier, but when I was there, you could ski back to the resort.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
plv01, don't know if it's early enough for you but the Hotel Bernerhof in Wengen Switzerland is pretty cheap however the resort only opens from about the 17th of December this year Link http://www.wengen.com/ho_bres_fl.html Just a 2 minute walk down the high street to the cable car or less than 5 to the station, if there is snow in the village it's possible to ski back as far as the cablecar station.

I've not stayed in that hotel myself but know those who have and all say it was good value for the money CHF 90 per night B&B even as low as 70 CHF per night if you have a tourist room with no on suite, however the supplement for the four course dinner is only an extra 24 CHF per night which is very good value.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Le Stop in Le Chable, one lift away from Verbier town centre, and faster slope access than 90% of Verbier accommodation.

28chf B&B
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rungsp, price has gone up according to their page B&B now about 45 CHF per night, still good value though if you don't mind being in an old bomb shelter
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for all your comments guys - very helpful. Please keep them coming.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
geepee, Thanks so much for your comment. I have tentatively booked a room at the Minotel Ambiente Saas Fee which apparently is quite good and closer to the lifts. Can you give me any advice/tips on hiring gear and getting lift tickets - did you organise that before you arrived and is it easy to do?
Appreciated. Peter
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
plv01, I didn't hire any gear, so can't help on that but I just bought a lift ticket at the office near the first lift.

I can give you a couple of tips though, which should make your trip easier.

Going up on the Metro Alpin funicular to the glacier, get to the top of the carriages at the bottom station, as you won't appreciate the walk up the stairs at the top at 3600m. Shocked

Best lunch stop is the Gletschergrotte restaurant on the blue run back to the resort. It's sign-posted off the run but you need a bit of a run up to it to negotiate the path up to the restaurant, you'll soon get the hang of it. Be aware though that the restaurant gets in shade at that time of the year by about 13:00, so if you want to eat outside, get there early.

The revolving restaurant at the top is worth a lunch just for the views, it take about an hour to revolve. Just right for a leisurely lunch.

It's a lovely village and fairly compact, so everything is within walking distance.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
To hardto predict prices in 20111
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
plv01, http://www.solaria.ch/

Cheap & clean & spacious and so much variety and interest in Davos.

It's like a uni halls of residence, although was prolly built as a nut house or death camp or whatever
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
red 27, suspect it was once one of the several allergy type clinics in the area, very popular decades ago with people who suffered allergies, TB and victims of the WW1 Gas attacks. The area in and around Davos has very good ratings for clean air, ideal for those with respiratory complaints, indeed I seem to recall a small cemetery and monument to WW1 gas victims up near a similar hospital at Davos Wolfgang.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have skied many times in Switzerland from 2001 through to 2009 - Andermatt, Engelberg, Disentis, Saas Fee, Grimentz, St Luc and Zermatt. At the time my trips were based on exchange rates of between 2.2 to around 2.35 and more recently just short of 2.00. The exchange rate is now around 1.2 and that makes a big difference in affordability when doing around 4 trips per season. Sadly I have pulled out and have skied my last two seasons in Austria and Italy.
If you can tolerate the abysmal exchange rate Switzerland is a great place to ski and I have many happy memories - I just need a footballers salary to afford it now Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy