Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing Afghanistan

Poster: A snowHead
On BBC 2 tonight Afghanistan:The Unknown Country included a report from their ski resort. They had had 2 tourists, the skiing looked a bit iffy but the enthusiasm of the children skiing was inspiring, one said it was like flying, one was skiing in his mums shoes. The uplift was a donkey.
Check it out on iplayer, the skiing is about 30 mins in.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jbob, great prog I thought. One of those skiing tourists was a Brit, so who was it?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bode Swiller,
Quote:

One of those skiing tourists was a Brit, so who was it?

Dare we whsiper his name..... Toofy Grin wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
One of the boarding mags rode the Afgan peaks about 5 years ago, I was obsessed with it (re-read it loads of times). Definitely travel inspiring stuff!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Afghanistan has the best scenery on Earth.

If they can make it safe, it's a great place to go.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Whitegold, it is a big place (A level geography there) and many parts of it are indeed safe, probably safer than most inner cities in the UK on a saturday night. Taking a donkey up the hill does rather suggest that the lift systems are somewhat limited though.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bode Swiller wrote:
Whitegold, it is a big place (A level geography there) and many parts of it are indeed safe, probably safer than most inner cities in the UK on a saturday night. Taking a donkey up the hill does rather suggest that the lift systems are somewhat limited though.

Yes of course it is. rolling eyes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ricklovesthepowder, I'd rather go to Herat or downtown Kabul than Moss Side after dark. Provinces like Helamand and Kandahar are for sure very dangerous, and I wasn't referring to them.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bode Swiller, i would rather walk through Moss Side dressed in KKK outfit than through the capital of one of the most dangerous countries in the world. And for the record, Moss Side isnt anywhere near as bad as it used to be!!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ricklovesthepowder, here, book a trip, the locals look really scary...
http://youtube.com/v/5ky_Qxm62rA&feature=player_embedded
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I saw it and thought it would be nice to send the kids and the chap who was trying to make a go of it as a tourist destination some kit. I am sure we all have bits of kit lying about that we don't use and can't be bothered to sell on ebay or friends aren't interested in. If someone organises something i'll make a contribution.

Anyone game?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mt, I'm game but getting it there will be a challenge. A cool idea though, I have a loft full of ski stuff that's just very slowly coming back into fashion. Hopefully, someone with some experience in transport to such places will advise.

Ricklovesthepowder, murder rate of Afghanistan is below that of USA (the country you are considering for your next ski trip!), South Africa, most of central and south America, most of Africa... http://chartsbin.com/view/1454
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mt wrote:
I saw it and thought it would be nice to send the kids and the chap who was trying to make a go of it as a tourist destination some kit. I am sure we all have bits of kit lying about that we don't use and can't be bothered to sell on ebay or friends aren't interested in. If someone organises something i'll make a contribution.

Anyone game?

I had the same thought and am well up for it, could probably get a container full scrounging round cham. I would be happy to contribute and even do a bit of organizing, I suspect the kit bit is easy compared to getting it to him. I might send Lyse Doucet an email.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 13-07-11 19:11; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I found a contact and have sent Lyse Doucet a message, will keep you posted. If it all falls down we could always try and get some stuff to the kids in the program.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The place looks about 80 miles from kabul. I guess if it could be got to Kabul the guy might do the rest. One issue could be getting it through customs.
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder, a work colleague just got back today from a (work) trip of about 10 days. He's been quite a few times before, including a holiday trekking in the mountains, loves the country, hasn't had any problems.
snow report
Afghanistan is very dangerous, all of it, and the TB are currently expanding operations back into the north. I would not recommend that anyone not able to afford a western security detail should go. As for murder rates haha how on earth do you report a murder in Afghanistan.....the police are part of the problem!!!!!
snow conditions
Bode Swiller wrote:

Ricklovesthepowder, murder rate of Afghanistan is below that of USA (the country you are considering for your next ski trip!), South Africa, most of central and south America, most of Africa... http://chartsbin.com/view/1454

I wonder the murder rate includes all the soldiers (and Afgan civilians) died in bombing?
snow conditions
JimSearle, According to some it's going to be in next years holiday brochures!!! I know afghan is a stunning country, but there is currently a war going on between our country and theirs. Anyone who goes there is with stupid or insane. Let's hope one day the issues are resolved as it does look stunning.
ski holidays
Quote:

there is currently a war going on between our country and theirs.

well, that's one way of putting it. Our government and the government of Afghanistan are actually on the same side in that war, you know.... theoretically, at any rate.

I think a container of ski gear is a terrific idea. There may be a way of organising it through one of the NGOs working there - if the contact efforts above don't come to anything, I might be able to dig up something through my previous incarnation working for the Department for International Development.

Transport is expensive - might be possible to get the Ministry of Defence Press Office interested - good PR.
snow report
jbob, pam w, Brilliant I will email a friend in the forces and see if he has a contact as well.
snow conditions
Ricklovesthepowder, just like when Top Gear were in Iraq, not ALL of Afghanistan is a war zone/dangerous - it is a big place.
ski holidays
JimSearle wrote:
Afghanistan is very dangerous, all of it

Quote:
I would not recommend that anyone not able to afford a western security detail should go.

Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
Anyone who goes there is with stupid or insane

Have you been there or spoken to anyone who has? As I said, my work colleague came back from Afghanistan yesterday - skivving public sector worker that he is, he came off his flight early in the morning, straight into work and did more than a full day in the office. He and another colleague were there for work purposes. I can assure you they did not have any western security guarding them. They were also there last year, in April as they just about managed to get out there and back, despite the volcanic ash cloud disruptions. They were there about 4 years ago on holiday in the mountains, but far far from where the troubles are.

Anyway, good luck with those trying to organise a container of ski gear. I have a contact who worked in an NGO in Kabul - not sure if he's still there but I could also try him.
snow report
I should be able to rustle up some unwanted gear for donation. Great idea!

Does anyone have good links with the pre-season ski show organisers? Just an idea but maybe they could run gear collection points this year. The collection/donation project may just be considered bizarre enough (to the non-snow sport world) to provide a fresh PR angle on the annual ski shows for the mainstream media. I reckon the Telegraph would be a good possibility.

If either one of two major UK snow sports retailers (who shall remain nameless) were to put some thinking into this, there could possibly be some helpful PR in it for them, I would think. Or a big ski manufacturer?
snow report
Big Paua wrote:

Does anyone have good links with the pre-season ski show organisers? ?

sH's very own Phil Keith?

If this gets sorted I'll happily kick in some skis with bindings (still in decent nick and relatively modern shape).
snow report
I could probably find some of my old jackets and salopettes too.
ski holidays
BTW, the link to the programme is here http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b012g0dl/Afghanistan_The_Unknown_Country/ and the skiing segment is at about 46 mins in
snow conditions
Quote:

skivving public sector worker that he is, he came off his flight early in the morning, straight into work and did more than a full day in the office.

Yep, been there - overnight flight from New York (having set off to New York on Sunday, supposedly a day off), early morning pick up at Heathrow, shower, back to the office, left at normal time, around 1830 pm, home around 2030, back in the office at 0930 next morning. It's shocking, isn't it?

If I'd ever taken my theoretical "time off after long journeys" entitlement I'd have had a very easy time. Nobody ever took it.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Foreign Office says:

We advise against all travel to specific areas of Afghanistan and advise only essential travel to all other parts of Afghanistan.

Doesn't sound to safe to me!
snow conditions
Having also watched the program I would also love to send some skis and boots etc over from Canada. There is always tons of 2nd hadn gear just dumped in the streets of Banff. Usually left by affluent seasonaires \ gap students.

If you do get hold of an postal address please let me know. I've also been considering going out there with a friend to take some stuff. Perhaps teach some how to 180's Smile

Roberto
snow report
Hi JBOB and MT,

Did you have any luck getting in touch with Lyse Doucet?

Roberto
snow report
JBOB and MT,

I spend all my weekend in Banff. I know I can get hold of so much unwanted gear it's silly to let them go to waste.

Do you know if it's possible to mail the stuff there?

Roberto
ski holidays
pricer, Mt, jbob, There use to be ski mountaineering out there back in the days before the Russians came. Travelling around the Pamirs and Hindu Kosh mountains is amazing, but is quite dangerous in some areas although others places are slowly getting better. If you guys or anyone else really wants to send stuff out there send me a PM.
snow conditions
Mt wrote:

Anyone game?

I'm sure I saw that someone in the Forces was organising something some years ago, but I've never been able to find any further information. Would be nice to get some old kit to them.
snow report
Untamed Borders (http://www.untamedborders.com/) a UK based adventure company already arranged a first ever ski trip to Afghanistan. Have a look into their website for further details about skiing in Afghanistan. They have a page on their website "Alpine Afghanistan". Apart from that I also read that they arrange adventure and culture tours into Afghanistan too.

I was surprised to see this link
http://beyondlimitsmagazine.com/skiing-in-afghanistan-not-apres-ski-more-apres-tea
snow report
pricer wrote:
Hi JBOB and MT,

Did you have any luck getting in touch with Lyse Doucet?

Roberto

No reply yet from Lyse Doucet.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy