Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What can you tell me about Kranjska Gora?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi fellow snowheads!

I'm trying to organise a trip for Jan 2012 for a mixed bag of friends from beginner to advanced, skiers and boarders. We're looking at Kranjska Gora in Slovenia, looks like a nice little resort on paper so I'm just wondering if anyone has been out there recently and can tell me what it's like in terms of pistes, apres, price of beer . . . you know, the important stuff!

Cheers javascript:emoticon('snowHead')
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
broph, Kranjska Gora is very limited skiing, I see it like this, KG can be very OK for the family with smaller kids, but with a mixed group of adult,, no,,
I have say this before and I say it again, check up the pyrenees,, cheaper than the french alps, many resorts with very good skiing, in france and spain
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good mountain biking, stunning scenery, friendly place, cheap beer. As for skiing, dunno; never been in the winter. If conditions are good I'd imagine there's some nice off-piste in the trees. If conditions aren't good, I'd imagine there isn't. Pistes look limited. No doubt someone will be along shortly with some more meaningful advice or a good rant.....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Stayed at Bled for a long weekend a few years ago. Tried out 3 places in Slovenia including KG. It was a pleasant enough village with great scenery but we'd pretty well skied out the resort in 4 hours. I think it's close to the (small) resort of Arnoldstein in Austria which would give you some variety. And not too far from other ski stations in Slovenia - a beautiful country with friendly people.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Only ever been in summer. Basically confirming what harrisontherabbit says.

Bovec could be another option? Don't know if the 52 hairpin pass between KG and Bovec is navigable in winter? If it is then there's an option to do a split vacation (although Bohinj/Bled are easier from KG, and possibly something on the Italian side of the border?)

Fantastic place in summer! Can't wait to go back (again), but I suspect it might be a bit limited in winter.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Very low resort prone to melt / freeze, nothing really that would make me go back again. slopes are pretty mundane, village is nice but not very much going on. You can ski every piste in a mornings hard skiing and walk the whole resort in the afternoon. We was there a couple of years ago in late January the week before the World cup and they closed the slope while they injected the slope with water for the race. Not much else to say about it really, wasn't impressed with the place, but nothing was really bad, just very average.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you're interested to see the country and the area go in summer, lovely region, good hut network, great walking. I've looked at the piste maps but never been that tempted to go in winter as each area does look really quite small, you'll probably end up wanting to do a day or two in each.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
andy wrote:
Bovec could be another option? Don't know if the 52 hairpin pass between KG and Bovec is navigable in winter?
Mrs A and I have cycled over that - complete with full touring kit including tent. It was grey weather most of the way and drizzle and clag at the top (~1700m). Just typical! As others have said: an excellent place in summer but the ski resorts seem small and too far apart to be convenient.

If you're looking for small, cheaper resorts then I'd pick some that are closer together so that driving between them is much easier - eg. Maurienne Valley or, prehaps, Zillertal. There must be many more.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
altis, wow! it was 37C (in the valley) last year when we drove over that (transferring from Bovec to Maribor the scenic way), and we saw many people riding up the KG side (with the cobbled corners). Credit to anyone who puts themselves thru that agony. My car temperature was on the verge of making me stop, just as we reached the summit. On the way down, we had to contend with following an inexperienced driver who dragged the brakes the whole way down - boy that was not a pleasant smell.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I went for my reintroduction (with family) back to skiing after a long break. The snow was very good (2008), and I had a great time.....as said, the skiing is limited but I still enjoyed it.

Skiing seemed better over towards the World Cup slope (Podkoran?).

The hotels were of pretty good quality, and it was cheap.....and most of all it convinced us that we all wanted to ski again, although spend more.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy