Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Gardena

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I fancy doing a week in Val Gardena during the Mens Downhill week 14-17 Dec 2011. Bit of skiing and watching.

I've never been their before.

It seems Innsbruck is the nearest Airport. Has anyone done it independantly before?

I was hoping to fly from Bristol, but it seems flights aren't available for that week.

Is it worth trying to book it up now. Flight, transfer, Accomodation etc. Or try getting a last minute deal with a large TO for that week?

Any thoughts or advise would be appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Innsbruck is great for getting to the Sella Ronda area. Mountainsun will probably sell you a transfer to their place at San Cassiano. It is not all that much further to Selva from there. Come to that, It mightbe worth trying their availability for that week. They have a few single rooms if you are solo and the food was good last year. It is also well placed for the Hidden Valley and the Cinque Torri.

snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bristol to verona is what we normally did or Bolzano
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
That early in the season you may struggle for transfers so I think that you should investigate that first before deciding on flights. Maybe better to get a cheap flight with Ryanair to Venice or anywhere in northern italy and then hire a car: last time I did that basic car hire (Fiat Panda) was cheaper than a transfer.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers for the replys everyone. I'm still investigating options. Like has been said, it's the time of year that seems to be causing the problems.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
spud, I flew to Innsbruck earlier this year with a private transfer to Selva. It was very convenient but eye-wateringly expensive.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Aaaaarrrghhhh.... Nightmare. The whole point of this planned trip, was to experience the Mens WC and have a bit of Skiing in a beautiful area, that i've not been to before...

Then i go and read this...

Saslong and Gran Risa Controversy and More!

First, in some big news that might be going unnoticed in the summer ski world over here in the USA, the FISI (Italian Ski Federation) is in a battle with the organizers of the FIS World Cup venues in the Dolomiti. The races in Alta Badia/La Ila/La Villa/Stern and in Val Gardena/Groeden/Selva Gherdina/Wolkenstein, the most beautiful and dramatic hills on the World Cup, are in jeopardy over a money-grab for TV revenues. In this group are also included the Women’s stop in Cortina and the occasional men’s slalom in Madonna. The organizers of races at these classic venues are claiming that FISI is requiring about 10% more of the TV revenue from those venues in order to host the races. The organizers also claim that this will reduce their profit margin to a point where it is not worth hosting the race and the FISI will have to look elsewhere. The outcome of this could be a horrible turn for the World Cup. I know that Cortina is viewed as the favorite stop on the women’s tour and there is no doubt that Groeden and Alta Badia are among the most favorite on the men’s tour. The natural beauty and great feeling of the venues is one that all of us looked forward to every year. And the kindness, generosity and hospitality of the people in the area are legendary. To top all of that off, the tour would also miss out on Europa Cup participation that is clustered around those world cups. The fan will lose classic races on excellent hills. So when I look at this kind of battle, I think that there must be something deeper and more political? All of these venues are part of the Dolomiti Superski and are in the northern area closest to Austria. But what could be going on to cause the problem? Are the officers at FISI trying to move the races to other areas of the country to meet some kind of political or financial agenda? To be honest, Italian sport does not have the cleanest of track records when it comes to this type of activity. It would be a shame to lose these venues and it might be time for the FIS to flex some muscle on the Italian federation to get it figured out. If you would like to read more about this, click here:

http://skiweltcup.tv/index.php/gibt-es-eine-skiweltcup-saison-ohne-saslong-und-gran-risa/

Think i'm going to hang on for a while... Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Getting from Innsbruck to Selva is easily done via public transport. Just get a train from Innsbruck to Ponte Gardena (Waidbruck) and then from outside the station get a bus to Selva. Total journey time will be just under 3 hours if you include the time waiting for the next bus. See following link for timetable details.

http://www.sii.bz.it/en

We done a very similar journey last January from Innsbruck to Bressanone and then got a bus to Siusi which is in the next valley from Val gardena. I think the train was 36 Euros for two of us and the bus was 6 Euros for two of us. We shared a taxi back to the airport so didn't need to get a return train ticket. Not sure if a return train ticket will be cheaper than two single tickets

You can also get a train from Verona to Bolzano and then a bus to Selva. Dependant on the train you get, the total journey time will be similar or maybe 10 to 15 minutes longer than the journey from Innsbruck.

However I wouldn't consider the above options if I had an early morning flight back or a late afternoon/evening flight out. The trains don't start running that early or late on a Saturday.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy