Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pyeongchang 2018

Poster: A snowHead
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/06072011/2/olympics-pyeongchang-wins-vote-stage-2018-games.html

South Korea - Winter Olympics....

Interesting.

Do they have a run long enough and steep enough to really challenge the downhillers?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How can they hold the Winter Olympics there?

Have you seen it?

http://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/alpensia-pyeongchangs-winter-olympic-park/
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
spud, well, that's what i have been thinking, especially when it comes to the big mountain races like downhill and SG.

Maybe this gives them time to develop more runs, facilities etc.

The trail names are hardly names that the stuff of legend are made from!

http://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/alpensia-pyeongchangs-winter-olympic-park/library-trail-map/
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I can only presume they are going to expand the area like you say. The vertical drop is only 116 metres though... Puzzled
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spud, The downhill isn't at this venue, it's at Jungbong which has a much bigger vertical drop and is already used for WC events.

http://youtube.com/v/FF1zm2tAgEg

This PDF also gives information on all the venues but be warned it's quite a big file.

http://www.korea.net/news/issues/attach/pyeongchang/2010PyeongChange.pdf
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well that makes more sense...thanks for the link.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And the country who successfully bribed the officials most is..... South Korea!

What a f'in disaster!

I really hope this one blows up in their faces - literally - courtesy of their commie cousins up north! Mad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You have to give them marks for persistence - thay applied for the 2010 and 2014 games too, so third time lucky.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Congratulations to South Korea.
They did a great job of the football world cup in 2002.
Have no doubt they will also do the winter olympics justice.

Apparently the rival Munich and Annecy bids were both handicapped by local politics /infighting (some elements in both cities, including general public, didnt want the associated cost & hassle). Plus the venues were geographically spread out. So its no real surprise that Pyeonchang won.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Winter_Olympics

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 6-07-11 21:23; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Has any snowHead (or westerner!) actually skied in South Korea? Or are the dissenters a bit like those who slate Scottish skiing but haven't actually been? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I really hope this one blows up in their faces - literally - courtesy of their commie cousins up north!

Shocked
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
They also did a great job with the Seoul summer Olympics. They will have everything ready for use a couple of years prior to 2018. The snow record is very good. They already hold World cup races.
Remember there is more than just alpine skiing at the winter Olympics - 98 events in 15 different sports I think.
There has always been some contoversy at the choosing of where the Olympics are held, but probably without exception all have delivered. Can't see why the South Koreans can't do it just as well as the rest.
Pity it's so far away. Gonna have to start saving for my flight out there to watch TJ in the skiing.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Props to the IOC for finding a venue called Jongbong combining two of the funnest words associated with skiing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno, Laughing

robboj, Shocked are you mental?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
good luck to them, and to the doubters about the suitability, this would be as opposed to Sochi which didnt basically exist when they were awarded the olympics!! seems a whole lot more suitable than a footbal world cup in Qatar! Razz
snow conditions
I don't see anything wrong with this. Germany had their share of Olympics (3 all together), same goes for France (5 all together). So why not Korea this time. As far as places for competition go, I don't think there will be problem. First, Olympics are much more then just alpine skiing. In fact, alpine skiing is nowhere near most important events Wink Second, they had few major ski events there already (few alpine skiing WC races, biathlon WCH, winter university games...) and they always did at least ok, so I don't think there should be much of problems with Olympics either.
ski holidays
Will be fun to see the Korean hockey team looking to dominate on home ice.

...and the Seoul riot police bussed in to deal with them being sore losers wink
ski holidays
Good luck to them, why should they not have the chance for the Olympics?
ski holidays
looking forward to the jack russell fondue Laughing

would love to go actually, fascinating part of the world IMO
snow report
Total disaster. Plenty of better places to hold it. The place only has 150m vertical!!!
snow report
Read before post?Wink
snow conditions
pam w, shoogly,

No, I just like to rant a bit sometimes! wink

Speaking more calmly I do think it is a bad choice, mainly because of the real security problems in the region. Sadly the North Koreans could genuinely see the winter Olympics as the best opportunity for years to seriously p*ss off the South. Hopefully that does not mean any kind of act of war, either during the games or before. However, in a culture where loss of face is everything, it would surely appeal to them to try anything to get it cancelled anytime from between now and (even better from the Norths point of view) at the last minute?

Im sure they will organise it well, don't doubt that. From a purely personal point of view the 2002 World Cup was one of the more forgettable ones, almost as bad as last years. Does anyone believe that South Korea themselves got to the semi-final that year solely due to their footballing ability.......rolling eyes

Yes they had the Olympics in 1988. Ask most people what they remember of that and they will tell you about Ben Johnson cheating and being stripped of his title.

Any one else notice a common theme here, I wonder? Shock

Form a purely personal point of view it will be a disappointment to watch the skiing in particular, as presuming the races are all run at the normal time of day they will be live in the early hours of the morning here.

When Sochi beat Salzburg for 2014 I thought to myself it was a debatable choice - but at least its not Korea!

So full marks for persistency for Pyeongchang. At least 2022 must be a stick on for the Alps? Provided we can find a big enough brown envelope?
snow conditions
Boooooooooooooooooooooo.
ski holidays
paulio wrote:
Boooooooooooooooooooooo.
I guess that's your chance to rent out your flat gone then?
ski holidays
Very Happy

기가막혀 우리가 올림픽
snow report
Quote:

Yes they had the Olympics in 1988. Ask most people what they remember of that and they will tell you about Ben Johnson cheating and being stripped of his title.

That's just your view.

If you ask mine, I don't remember ANY of the previous Olympics! So the 1988 ones are equally unremarkable but no less so.

Quote:

Speaking more calmly I do think it is a bad choice, mainly because of the real security problems in the region. Sadly the North Koreans could genuinely see the winter Olympics as the best opportunity for years to seriously p*ss off the South.

But nothing happened during 1988 in the summer Olympics, which has a much higher profile worldwide than the winter one. So your insecurity is groundless.

Quote:

When Sochi beat Salzburg for 2014 I thought to myself it was a debatable choice - but at least its not Korea!

So you have something against Korea, period!
snow report
abc,

Thats the beauty of a forum, you can state your opinion and others are free to disagree! Very Happy

P.S. Re your second point, which is basically says 'it never happened before so it won't happen now' you must be a stick on for a job in Obama's administration! Laughing Laughing Laughing

I am also not insecure about it. I certainly wont be going!

No nothing against Korea at all. I am sure that there must be some winter sports they are good at and good luck to them.

I'm just fed up with the developing trend of major world sporting events going to the highest bidder.

I suppose we should just be glad that FIFA don't run our sport or the skiing would probably be in the Dubai snow-dome! rolling eyes
ski holidays
robboj wrote:
abc, I suppose we should just be glad that FIFA don't run our sport or the skiing would probably be in the Dubai snow-dome! rolling eyes

Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
robboj wrote:
P.S. Re your second point, which is basically says 'it never happened before so it won't happen now' you must be a stick on for a job in Obama's administration! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Really, then perhaps ANY Olympics shouldn't be in London or New York or Munich. These cities had all been hit by terrorists. And I'm sure they would love to hit it again during the Olympics no less eager than the N. Korean!

So name a city or country that has no enemies and you can have your Olympics there! rolling eyes
latest report
abc,

Erm ... let me think.. i've got it - Switzerland! Very Happy snowHead
latest report
Quote:

I am sure that there must be some winter sports they are good at and good luck to them.

Well in 2010 they managed to finish 5th in the medal table above, amongst others, Switzerland, France, Sweden, Russia and Austria. So, yes, they must be good at some... Good luck to them I say and I fully expect them to do a great job hosting in 2018.
latest report
The NotW editor should look at this, he needs a new Korea. Toofy Grin
snow report
taxi for geepee

gutted not at munich/Garmish as its only a short drive away...

they had the biathalon WC in korea the other year, and it had a rain storm the day before and all the snow went..so over night they got volunteers to shovel trucked in snow over the course an dby morning it was race ready if slushy..so fair play..but then again the money in the sport and fans base is europe and thats now going to be 3 iin a row not in europe..
snow conditions
Swirly, Interesting, point taken.

I remember that great Korean skier though.... hmmm... what was his name.. Hu Eight Rover???

I'll get my coat...............
latest report
robboj wrote:

So full marks for persistency for Pyeongchang. At least 2022 must be a stick on for the Alps? Provided we can find a big enough brown envelope?

South Korea is richer than Italy.

It will soon be richer than Scotland.

The European Alps are drying up and snowfall is shrinking.

Old Europe is fading fast.

Asia is the future.

Times have changed, dude.
snow conditions
robboj wrote:
I remember that great Korean skier though.... hmmm... what was his name.. Hu Eight Rover???

Once again... Olympics are much more then alpine skiing. There are 10 skiing disciplines out of 90 or so all together. There are sports which matter much more then some alpine skiing. So just to burst your bubble... World is not spinning around alpine skiing. And even if it would be, I really don't know why you with all those "great" skiers you guys have, would have anything to say about it.
As far as your arguments about danger, and I don't know what else, go... But you can look this from someone else point of view too. Sure North Korea is just over the border. But so was also USA last year in Vancouver too. And even though they terrorize half of the world they didn't attack Canada and Olympics went by just fine, so I don't see reason, why these ones wouldn't go either.
snow report
Whitegold, Can't disagree with any of that. Although maybe we should try and keep some things whilst we still have the power to do so, and, probably or even hopefully, the snow?

primoz, I'm sure there are, Alpine Skiing is my thing though. Although I will happily watch any other events that are exciting too. Maybe I just like to look at snow? Whereas, Curling, something Scotland is relatively good at, is very good for insomnia. Very Happy

The main problem for me is that neither I, nor many people in Europe will be watching much live Winter Olympics at all in 2018. Unless they don't need sleep or don't have a job. Sad

As I said earlier its a forum for putting ones opinion, others are free to disagree?

Interesting comments re the relative dangers. Obviously you don't like the evil capitalist dogs, or maybe its the great satan, or whatever you call them? I do hope the CIA aren't watching, or you won't be chasing the WC in the USA for a while Shocked Laughing

If you would really rather have the likes of Kim Jong-il across the border than Uncle Sam, then I'm sure you'll have a great time! snowHead
snow report
Considering whole Europe has what, 500 millions? of people, while USA with Canada, Mexico and few others, have probably something like this, and China itself has around 1.5 billion, I don't think those few people watching it in Europe are main concern Wink Besides... Olympics in Vancouver were some 8 or 9 hours away too Wink Besides, if say alpine skiing is only important thing in Olympics, alpine skiing events in GAP or Annecy would be held sometime between 9 and 13... time when most of (normal) people are at work... or skiing Laughing So you wouldn't get much of those either.
robboj wrote:
I do hope the CIA aren't watching, or you won't be chasing the WC in the USA for a while Shocked Laughing
If you would really rather have the likes of Kim Jong-il across the border than Uncle Sam, then I'm sure you'll have a great time! snowHead

Well if CIA is watching or not, and my next travel to USA will be influenced by these comments, then I don't think Uncle Sam is any better then Kim Jong-Il. Wink Besides if we look a bit more realistically... how many countries North Korea invaded until now? How many Uncle Sam did? So my comment about last years Olympics and danger is not so out of line as you might think Wink
snow report
robboj wrote:
Whereas, Curling, something Scotland is relatively good at, is very good for insomnia.

nonsense, have you seen the Scottish lades captain? Shocked

http://vancouver2010.teamgb.com/teamgb/athletes/eve-muirhead
snow report
barry, True, exhaustion old chap, not boredom wink

primoz, Yeah, whatever............ away and polish your picture of Stalin! Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy