Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crystal Ski Report 2011

Poster: A snowHead
http://mag.digitalpc.co.uk/fvx/crystal/sir2011/

It's all Easters fault - at least it won't be so late in the year until 2038!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Isn't this the same?

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=77748
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
altis, Nah, the link above is to the actual report the link you have made is to a thread about a planet ski report about the Crystal report.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 5-07-11 17:14; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pretty amateurish report considering for public consumption. Poor presentation , content a bit light, limited references to where stats drawn from. Not really very enlightening, pretty obvious late Easter would cause a long low period, economy is down and a little fanfare about independents being down. Would be interesting to see the effect is low cost airlines slashed ski carriage fees. France has a "high perceived cost position with resort" - the word perceived probably needs dropping, the big french resorts that most UK skiers go to are high cost. Would have been useful if there was a skier numbers breakdown by resort, skier v snowboard numbers, demographic breakdown, UK regional breakdown, summary of other nationals / resort figures, etc.Maybe too much info would be commercially sensitive, but then don't call it a ski industry report.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
waynos wrote:
Pretty amateurish report considering for public consumption. Poor presentation , content a bit light, limited references to where stats drawn from. Not really very enlightening, pretty obvious late Easter would cause a long low period, economy is down and a little fanfare about independents being down. Would be interesting to see the effect is low cost airlines slashed ski carriage fees. France has a "high perceived cost position with resort" - the word perceived probably needs dropping, the big french resorts that most UK skiers go to are high cost. Would have been useful if there was a skier numbers breakdown by resort, skier v snowboard numbers, demographic breakdown, UK regional breakdown, summary of other nationals / resort figures, etc.Maybe too much info would be commercially sensitive, but then don't call it a ski industry report.

Thanks for the constructive criticism!

Crystal actually does have most of the above data but we choose not to give away all of our secrets...
It is called an industry report as we try to give an overview of the whole industry from a UK perspective to press and people interested in hearing about it. It is not aimed at a European audience.

To address some of your points though:
> Perceived cost - we believe the actual cost of your holiday is influenced as much by your tastes and what you like to do on holiday as it is prices in resort. France doesn't have to be expensive at all!
> Skiers vs Snowboarders - generally, this tends to be approximately 85:15 in favour of skiers
> Demographic breakdown - it will come as no surprise that skiing is associated more with comfortably-off professionals, and there is more of a southern bias overall.

Hope that's useful.

Cheers
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Page 15 is the look as us "we are great" pat on the back, I also have a few issues with that page and others. I think waynos, does sum it up well.

Simon Cross,
Quote:

Perceived cost - we believe the actual cost of your holiday is influenced as much by your tastes and what you like to do on holiday as it is prices in resort. France doesn't have to be expensive at all!

I worked all last season in France, no matter how much you try to down play it, France is expensive. simply put 5€ a pint is getting on to be twice as much as back home and that's what holiday makes look at.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dwarf Vader wrote:
Page 15 is the look as us "we are great" pat on the back, I also have a few issues with that page and others. I think waynos, does sum it up well.

Simon Cross,
Quote:

Perceived cost - we believe the actual cost of your holiday is influenced as much by your tastes and what you like to do on holiday as it is prices in resort. France doesn't have to be expensive at all!

I worked all last season in France, no matter how much you try to down play it, France is expensive. simply put 5€ a pint is getting on to be twice as much as back home and that's what holiday makes look at.

Where in France are you getting beer at €5 a pint last time I went to Alpe D'huez it was getting on for being double that.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kel, that was seasoniare rates, not much of a saving at .50c and that was the cheapest the good stuff was euros more. It was not just the beer I thought the food was up there as well, some restaurants on and off the mountain was taking the wee wee. We could ski over to Italy and instantly make a 20% saving.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Because of the constant wee wee take by resorts over the years, people imho, are going to start doing their Skiing Holidays differently.

More and more people i know, are doing last minute Chalet Holidays and staying in at night, with booze they've brought with them.

Driving, self catering hols with a bunch of mates is getting more popular too.

You will always get the young en's doing an Ibiza in the Snow, and spending a fortune in the Clubs, but people who've grown out of that are now moving on.

Tbh, it's the same in this Country too. More people are entertaining at home with friends. It's cheaper and more fun, unless you're on the pull.

Having to fight through a scrum at the bar, get shafted for 8 Euro's a pint and then have to look like you're having fun is getting boring these day's. Time's have moved on.

The only place in recent years where i've experienced good quality at a reasonable price is Italy. Forza Italia... Cool
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I agree with most of what Simon Cross says - but though France may be cheaper than Switzerland, it's still expensive. Austria and (if the snow is good) Scotland are starting to beckon.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spud, I agree

10 pack of cheap 'Biere Blonde' stubbies for 3 or 4 euros (and I'm sure you couldn't get 4.4 pints' worth of cheap lager for £3 over here) and a USB drive full of comedy plugged in the back of the TV, that's evening entertainment for the credit crunch skier!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
if you are interested there's an updated report (on the report!) here, including a video interview with Mathew Prior from TUI.

http://www.planetski.eu/news/2925
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
waynos wrote:

For a free-of-charge, publicly available report, it is very good.

Concise and reader-friendly with a good mix of stats and analysis.

If you want the deeper drilldowns, you're gonna have to pony up thousands.

Collecting that much detail ain't cheap.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JAMES COVE wrote:
if you are interested there's an updated report (on the report!) here, including a video interview with Mathew Prior from TUI.

http://www.planetski.eu/news/2925

Good article and interview.

Imv, what seems clear is that a large number of UK vacationers were almost certainly paying for their 3rd, 2nd and sometimes 1st holidays every season on credit back in the golden age of 2007.

Mortgage loans, unsecured loans, overdrafts, credit cards etc.

Now the supply of debt has dried up in 2010 / 2011, so too has a good chunk of UK recreational skiers.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JAMES COVE, welcome back to snowheads - remember that you don't have to pimp your site to post here wink That said I agree that it is a good article and interview.
snow conditions
snebbit,
Quote:

(and I'm sure you couldn't get 4.4 pints' worth of cheap lager for £3 over here)

Tesco do the French beer in 250ml 8 bottle for about £2.50 Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

Tesco do the French beer in 250ml 8 bottle for about £2.50

I read somewhere that Poundland are about to licence all their shops to sell beer, presumably at £1.00 a can.
snow report
boredsurfin, I'd be looking to get "8-ace" for that £1.
snow conditions
Dwarf Vader wrote:
Kel, that was seasoniare rates, not much of a saving at .50c and that was the cheapest the good stuff was euros more. It was not just the beer I thought the food was up there as well, some restaurants on and off the mountain was taking the wee wee. We could ski over to Italy and instantly make a 20% saving.

You went to the wrong resort; 3 euros a pint for seasonaires in Les Arcs.
snow conditions
Dav wrote:
Dwarf Vader wrote:

My colleagues were getting it for €2.60 in the company bar but my resort did not have one Sad

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 6-07-11 18:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Dwarf Vader wrote:
Dav wrote:
Dwarf Vader wrote:

My collogues were getting it for €2.60 in the company bar but my resort did not have one Sad

I didn't include La Grotte de Yeti; 1.50 at happy hour. And happy hour kind of seemed to be most of the time.....!
latest report
Oh happy hours are different again, was not including them.
snow report
Won't the poor fall / timing of Christmas changeover mean that the Christmas week and more importantly the New Year week mean that these won't be able to sell for high prices?

Regarding Easter it is earlier this year but the school hopl (at least where I live) are not significantly earlier.

Filling in the gaps for the rest of the season is a bit of a lottery dependent on conditions at home and abroad.
snow report
PeteMan, there was a similar situation last season whereby Xmas and New Year fell on a Saturday; the TO's changed holidays around over this period to accommodate the change. Crystal started the season with Monday to Monday holidays, this ran through Xmas and then after New Year there was one Monday to Saturday offer to get back into check with Saturday arrivals for the rest of the season. Neilson and some other TOs did Sunday to Sunday until after New Year. I don't think it had an adverse effect on sales (in fact the 5 day week straight after New Year was one of the busier periods of the season).
snow report
Well they don't appear to have changed their changeover dates this year so it's 24/12 or 31/12, both bad IMHO.
ski holidays
In the latest Inghams brochure I got last week, their Xmas and New year departures are both on the friday rather than Saturday
ski holidays
jimmybog wrote:
In the latest Inghams brochure I got last week, their Xmas and New year departures are both on the friday rather than Saturday

That's an improvement for Christmas but no good for new year for anyone with kids.
snow report
achilles wrote:
Austria and (if the snow is good) Scotland are starting to beckon.

Go wash out your mouth with gin & juice !!! You should know not to associate the S-word with good skiing on this forum. Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dwarf Vader wrote:

Page 15 had me choking on my tea. Tour operators beating DIY on anything, let alone value for money, is laughable.
snow report
ajrduff wrote:
Dwarf Vader wrote:

Page 15 had me choking on my tea. Tour operators beating DIY on anything, let alone value for money, is laughable.

I reckon I had a good laugh when booking last January's holiday for a single bed at the Falken at Wengen last January - I had been DIYing apart from sH bashes in recent years, but the Crystal deal was unbeatable. And the bus transfer from Geneva was faster and less hassle than the train, which is how I normally DIY the transfer part. I don't think that will always be the case - but it is worth doing a cross check before opting one way or another.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 12-07-11 17:02; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

Tour operators beating DIY on anything, let alone value for money, is laughable.

ajrduff, quite often not the case - new year, half term, easter, they clearly load the pricing but outside that there are genuine bargains to be had. You won't find anyone more keen on going indy than me but last two Christmas weeks I've gone TO because I simply couldn't get close to the price for same hotel by going direct.
snow report
achilles wrote:
...the Crystal deal was uneatable.

Sad sorry to hear that. Perhaps try self-catering next time? wink
latest report
cathy, I think he meant inedible but an appropriate pedant will be along soon to help.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, probably what happens when you dope a cross check... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, spot on about TO's. Naturally, daytrips and weekenders mean the Scottish skier DIY's most of their skiing but for the week or two I do in the Alps, I relish the fact that all I have to think about is turning up at the airport.

I'd even say that peak week bargains can almost be relied upon to be at the same price or better if you're prepared to book late too. Easter 2011 served our group of five a 6.75 day ski week in Ischgl with short transfers, good breakfasts and evening meals, good sized rooms with balconies, heated kit room, boot driers and sauna etc and snow almost to the doorstep. I'm pretty sure that Ischgl wouldn't have been doable for under £600 a head DIY, even in an off-peak week.
latest report
cathy, hmm. Shows what happens when I am using IE and not running spell check (not that spell check would have got that, come to think on it). Embarassed Laughing I will edit - the Falken's food was very good.
latest report
"That's an improvement for Christmas but no good for new year for anyone with kids." Why?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy