Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lech or Selva next Feb ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We have never been to Austria or Italy , and are looking at Chalet Marta in Selva or Chalet Sonneck in Lech - Ski Esprit and Ski Total respectively.

Me and Mrs Alltnaha are competent red run skiers and our daughters - 10 and 16 - are better and much faster. They like off piste - me not very competent and Mrs A after 2 off piste ACLs will not do it again unfortunately.

We all like doing lots of distance and some ski guiding which both companies offer. Also good mountain restaurants important - and the kids are vegetarian. None of us like T bars !

We would much appreciate any views/advice .

Thanks all.

John
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd say Italy has the edge over Austria for food and particularly vegetarians (as there's so much variety of pasta Laughing). But it's torment around the Sella Ronda as there are just too many attractive little refugios to try them all and still get a decent day's skiing in!

That said, Lech is a really nice place and the Goulash Soup is always best in Austria (IMHO) although that wont help the girls out Wink

I can't think off-hand of any T-bars in either domain.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
alltnaha, Selva is the best of the two for piste mileage - lots and lots of options for full days out (not jus tthe sella ronda) and v good restaraunts on piste. eg You can easily reach the Hidden Valley at Lagazoi which is a great adverture with the excellent Rif Scotoni 1/2 way down, or a trip to the glacier at the Marmolada - all easily done in a day at red run standard covering miles in incredible scenery. It has excellent snow making too (i think it needs it though)!

There is a bit of a thing about not sking between the pistes in Selva - lots of signs saying dont do it and not many doing it! There are off piste options if you hire a guide (eg Val di Mezdi),

but nowhere near as much as Lech - which has loads of long marked itineraries / ski routes in Lech / Zurs (eg Madlochjoch is excellent) and St Anton is in easy reach with more of the same. I would say though you might get bored of the red/blue runs if you just stay on them. It has a great snow record for off piste and good restaurants (more expensive I think).

Both are really excllent places to ski - Selva for pists, Lech for off-piste - but if (?) you are really/primarily looking for somewhere for the Mrs to ski on piste whilst everyone else plays on the sides I really wouldnt go for either!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
alltnaha, we stayed at the Chalethotel Sonneck a few years back and it's fine - I'd certainly consider staying there again. Although it's a ski bus ride to central Lech and the lifts, the chalet is located at the end of the line so you're guaranteed a seat going skiing and we never had a problem coming back. There's stacks of 'just off-piste' and itineraries to ski and it's easy to get to St Anton for further skiing.

Lunch is pretty expensive in the Lech area although we did finally manage to find a decently priced self-service restaurant in Oberlech.

I haven't been to Selva so can't compare but from your criteria Lech certainly sounds suitable.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Having never been to selva I can't comment on it. Have stayed in oberlech twice and really is one of my favourite places on this planet. Great fun toboggan run down to lech from Oberlech which is open till 10pm - the kids and you will absolutely love it. Loads of cruisy skiing around lech with lots of heated seats. Lots of other resorts on same pass which makes it more interesting than others. Think the off piste and snow record speaks for itself in the arlberg. It really is a special region.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
alltnaha, stopped at Marta last season and really enjoyed it, a little old fashioned and some bits tired but very serviceable nonetheless. Closer to slopes than most places accessed through 2 / 3 drags. Lots of on-piste stuff and really pretty. Would definitely go again, felt in one week had only scratched the surface.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I know its not on your list but Saalbach would fit the bill. Food would be fine as its hardly a small Austrian village with only meat dominated local specialities. (Lech is pretty large as well) and to be honest food would not be a real issue. Eldest is a vegetarian and whilst we've had the obligatory "you said no meat? ah but that's only ham" conversation with waiters their is a lot of international restaurants on offer.

Sella Ronda is great but what about Corvara rather than Selva, knocks its socks off and has huge local cruising to be done (blue rather than red but take it easy your on holiday) Very easy access to the Sella Ronda circuit as well.

Ski resorts good for Cruising long red suggests Cervinia top of the Italian list? could be a good call
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all, I much appreciate your comments. We will have to go to both , so looks like price will determine which one first.

John
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Skied Lech several times, stayed in St. Anton (same skipass, linked by buses), excellent snow record, expensive for lunch, easy piste skiing but access to good ski routes and off piste above Zurs (linked). Lech is good for a mixed skill group of skiers, Zurs and St. Anton for the more experienced.
Selva (only one holiday), good snow fall that year, but I think it can be a bit iffy, thus there is plenty of artificial for the pistes. Sella Ronda circuit is good to do in a day and time for a nice Italian lunch on the way round, but how times do you want to do it in a week? Men's downhill run at nearby (linked) St. Christina, the Saslong piste, is a blast. Off-piste seemed to be quite limited in the area, but stand to be corrected on that.
Hope that helps.
David Thornton
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The region Lech, S Anton is really not cheap and there are many many people in high season.. I love the region ski amade http://www.skiamade.com/en/winter
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy