Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Shall I ski half term next year - if so where? Suggestions requested please?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm probably going to do the FBash next year, but was wondering if I should fit in another week maybe with the kids as well (just half an idea at the moment). If I went Sans kids I would probably jump a SH bash, but if I went with kids the only option is Feb half term. Suggestions please - remit is:

Plenty of blues/reds (a lack of blacks is NOT a problem!!)
Not keen on T Bars
Fairly snow sure in February
Would be driving there
Probably the alps, though doesn't necessarily have to be France
Cheap and cheerful and still likely to have spaces for Self Catering 1/2 term week next year
Picturesque is not necessarily required
Doesn't have to be a huge area, just enough to keep me out of trouble for the week (the kids will just have to make do!)
Ski in/out is def. nice to have, but not a necessity if it's close enough to get to the slopes with me and two kids and gear.
On piste area is important - I don't do off piste

It's only half an idea at the moment, but if I could find the right place I'd start thinking about it in more detail.

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How many of you are there? I am looking to rent out my Chalet in Les Gets for half term week.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, I reckon La Thuile would be a good bet for half term and there's self catering apartments at the foot of the bubble lift.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum, you could try here http://www.peakretreats.co.uk/saint-gervais2/apartments/le-grand-panorama.htm although cheap and cheerful, ski in/out and half term rarely go together in the same sentence wink I can highly recommend the resort for the things you are looking for and - although I haven't stayed in these apartments - know people who have (they were impressed) and the location is fab right next to the main lift up, but still within easy reach of town for shopping/eating etc. If you like the idea/look of things, but this building is full, there are other s/c buildings in St Gervais, but not this close to the lifts. Let me know if you need more details.

Another plus for the resort is the easy drive - just 50 mins or so past Geneva and all but the last 15 minutes on motorway.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Glenshee Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum,
If you are taking a car and trying to do it on the cheap I would not worry too mcuh about ski in ski out/close to lifts in a lot of places as there are loads of resorts with plenty of car parking close to the lifts and you can save a lot by getting accommodation away from the lifts, but check out on the car parking as it is not true for all resorts and some you have to pay for.
Feb in all honesty is pretty snow sure for just about any significant alpine resort, though the quality can vary a bit.

France will be busy, not sure when Fasching is (I know it is during my kids half term but not sure if same for England.)
This puts up prices and crowds for Austria but it is still generally cheaper than France booking direct in my experience at this time.

Would agree that La Thuile is a decent shout Courmayeur sounds interesting as well for what you want though I have not been.

Many places in Austira would suit Zauchensee and Obertauern are ultra snow sure have ski in ski out and plenty of good blue and red runs. I love Ischgl where I am returning to and getting cheaper accommodation down in Kappl which is a ry pleasant ski area in itself though it has a couple of T bars. Ischgl is not cheap by Austrian standards but cheaper than a lot of French places in my experience. If you want decent value in France many of the Maurienne valley resorts are far better priced than the Tarentaise and offer great skiing.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chattonmill, You have a PM

Cheers folks I will look up the other places later Toofy Grin.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, I like Pila but it would be a longer drive for you (2hrs more than Les Gets for example - and a tunnel toll). Look at pilaski.co.uk and speak to carol who has always been helpful to us.

Stayed in Morzine a couple of times and it was great so Les Gets should be good as it is linked. You can always go higher easily if you have a car although there are busses
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Val d'Isere
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
In the days that we had to do half-term, the best bet was to rent a flat from a private owner who wanted to avoid the half-term crowds themselves. Add that to a scheduled airline flight (though I guess you are driving) and you can minimise the "double prices for school holidays" problem. We never found crowds to be much of a problem, to be honest.

A place you might like is Chatel. A delightful town with access to the whole Portes de Soleil area and, as far as I know, off the UK TO map. Plenty of gentle runs as well as some red challenges.

snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

a private owner who wanted to avoid the half-term crowds themselves

I'm one of those but my place is already spoken for. I might have another friend in the same position, though they'd not know for sure for a while. This is not the same apartment (they don't rent commercially) but same development. http://www.locapart-lessaisies.com/

ski in/out (well, actually you do have to walk about 50 yards)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chattonmills place looked very nice, Les gets should suit your needs.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes, Les Gets would be a good place, though being fairly Brit-dominated it might be busier at half term than some of the alternatives (though most French places will be pretty busy).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
One of the good things about LG is that you can sit at a café and watch the kids going round and round on their own - obviously Les Gets is not the only place you can do that but I remember that with my nephew he felt a great sense of being grown up, skiing on his own. We also took my mother up there (in the car, as she wasn't too steady for a gondola) and she loved sitting there and watching the action.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So why doesn't each resort have one single website that lists all accommodation and availability in one place without having to go off and look up very single company and private rental separately - it's a wonder anyone ever gets booked up!
latest report
La Thuile is a bit flat. Courmayeur would be class and you've got Pila close by. No idea what it's like at half term though. Nice village and you're right under Mont Blanc! Not too bad to drive to either.
snow conditions
Megamum, Take a look for Pyrenees,, snowsure in february, cheaper than french alps, only busy when Toulouse area have halfterm
snow conditions
freeheelskier, +1 Smile long drive though.
latest report
meandrew, Porthmouth-Ouistreham (Caen) Distance Caen-western Pyrenees about 800km, and alot cheaper peage than to the alps Very Happy
snow conditions
Take a look at Westendorf - I don"t ski there that much anymore, but it's one of my absolute favourite ski areas, such a good vibe about the place, and I've had loads of ace family hols there.
latest report
Courmayeur is a great resort but from what I recall the accommodation is mainly 2 or 3 star hotels and you have to carry your skis to the cable car in order to get to the slopes. Once you have stepped out of the cable car there are some lovely reds and blues and great mountain restaurants.
latest report
snowymum, yeh, not all and if you're hotel is even reasonable (ours was utterly gash) they'll have a bus to the cable car. And there are a few hotels closeby.

Agree with you on the runs + the restaurants. Tartiflette at 6 euros and a coffee for 1 euro is great.
ski holidays
Soldeu, apart from the main gondola 1st thing monday am there are rarely any bad queues 1/2 term
Good english speaking ski school
We save our Tesco vouchers for a free tunnel crossing, Its a long drive but not too bad if you have a co-driver
snow report
Is half term in Scotland a viable proposition?
latest report
Megamum, only if you can wait til the very last minute to decide whether you should go or not.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy