Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

NZ South Island - not Queenstown

Poster: A snowHead
Our late starting season is getting better, I rode at Mt Hutt (mid Canterbury, 5 hr drive north of Queenstown) today, decent coverage, some nice stashes, not much else in the area open, but looking like some serious weather is on the way for a few days, so the rest of the local hills should be open soon.

I'm looking forward to getting back to the club fields, having moved out of Queenstown last year. They're special places, so hopefully next weekend I can post some photos from some of those.

Anyway, these are from today

Minihang11 - aged 8.........she scares me....

The Canterbury Plains, and the Pacific in the distance - I live just down there

Mrs hang11's back bottom. Might be swapping her for a Russian though.

The Southern Alps

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hang11, Excellent pics - I can feel the fresh air
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hang11, Great pictures snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sweet. Wish I was there Happy

How do the club fields work ? Do you have to join or pay a fee on the day ?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:

How do the club fields work ? Do you have to join or pay a fee on the day ?

You can join a club, then you have to do maintenance work in summer for the club, and get reduced lift fees and a cheap place to stay, otherwise you can pay full day rates.

The fields themselves are very different though. Generally no or little grooming, high speed rope tow lifts, and minimal facilities. Some of them have lodges on the mountain, which are very basic, and you usually have to help out with the chores if you stay there. Also a few have walk in access only, or sketchy roads.

Bloody great places to hang out though, a mellow vibe, amazing terrain, no crowds, but not beginner friendly. The rope tows take a bit of practice.

Lots of info here www.chillout.co.nz
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hang11, I could cope with that Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks lovely weather, hope the season takes a good turn from now

The 2nd picture looks pretty monged, maybe because of the abrupt ending of the mountains and the snow. If you covered the snow with your hand the plains beyond could pass for a summer's day looking over Norfolk or something!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Had a pretty decent day up at Mt Hutt today, in between weather fronts - about 30cm of new snow this morning, the weather packed in at lunchtime, and a lot more on the way over the next few days.

Here's some pics. The Towers......A couple of those tracks are mine Very Happy

The Summit 6 lift at Hutt

The last bit of the access road

A Kea - a mountain parrot unique to NZ. B4st4rd things that eat the car, and we're not allowed to shoot them

The mighty Rakaia River, some of the best salmon fishing in the world. They're like tasty dolphins Very Happy

The Canterbury Plains, looking towards Banks Peninsula and Christchurch, which is a metre higher than it was last year

A decent norwester brewing...

This will probably be the last report from me for a week, stink weather on the way, so I'll be hiding inside sat in front of the log burner for a few days
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
hang11, Great pictures, thanks for sharing. Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cool
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This looks great, can't wait to get over there at the end of August.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hang11 wrote:
A Kea - a mountain parrot unique to NZ. B4st4rd things that eat the car, and we're not allowed to shoot them

At least you're allowed to ASBO tag them.

Brilliant pictures & reports BTW, keep 'em coming please. Little Angel
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We've had between 1 and 3 metres around here this week, just trying to figure out what day is best to pull a sickie Very Happy And where to go. Massively high avy risk everywhere, and probably very interesting access roads.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hang11,

You probably know this already but if you catch a kea (relatively easily done although a mate who tried has a nice big beak-size chunk missing from his hand to this day) hold it by its legs and swing it around in circles a few times, it will go to sleep. This is not a DOC-approved practice by the way but it does help pass a snowbound winter's night!

Supposedly works with chickens too but somehow I can't see them providing the same sort of vibe.

PS. Reading about the dumps - worth the wait by the looks of it??
snow conditions
I went up to Hutt this morning, a lot of new snow, but the ridges were stripped by the wind. It was just a quick before work trip, but I'm off to either Dobson, Ohau or Roundhill tomorrow, and thinking that those hills got more snow/less wind, and will have less crowds.

Pics to follow.

I'll have to try that with a Kea, I owe them a bit of pain. I took out a kahu this morning at 120 kmh, bits of bird guts everywhere all over the front of my truck Very Happy Also had some feathers stuck in my bindings when I got my gear off the roof.
latest report
hang11, bugg3r...Kahu's are beautiful eh. Must have been a slow one if it got in your way.
snow report
It was eating a dead possum, and didn't want to give up the goods, minus 8, icy, I wasn't about to hit the brakes for it. It was a pretty impressive explosion of feathers and bird guts, and put a bloody great dent in the front of my new truck, which is two days old.......
snow report
hang11, bugg3r
snow report
hang11,
Kinda goes against all the instincts to hurt Kahu but when the choice is that or a multiple roll...

Bad luck on the truck front. If that's it in the pic, it's a nice wee unit.
snow conditions
That's the old one in the pic. The new one is bigger, gruntier and shinier
snow report
Mid Canterbury today.

snow conditions
Nice. What's the altitude of the snow line ?
ski holidays
probably about 400 metres
ski holidays
hang11 wrote:
That's the old one in the pic. The new one is bigger, gruntier and shinier

And has a nice hawk size go faster dimple Toofy Grin
snow report
Quality, pretty much my favourite thread year on year Cool
snow conditions
Mt Dobson today. Wind stripped on the ridges, and bony, but some nice stashes in places. First weekend of NZ school holidays, so it was fairly busy - I counted 23 cars in the car park at one point, but didn't have to queue for any of the lifts. Highlight of the day was a posh tourist kicking off because the cafe only had instant coffee and no trim milk Very Happy There's something special about the smaller hills here, not everybody's thing, but I like no facilities and no crowds.

The car park, at about 3pm, on the first Sunday of school holidays. Really busy Very Happy

A 3 shot pano of the access road, Lake Tekapo is over the back

ski holidays
hang11, Your pictures are stunning! I have mixed memories of club fields in NZ. We experienced Craigieburn with a foot of fresh powde and only a handful of people about. It was fantastic. On the other hand I must have fallen off that nutcracker tow about 3 times to my wifes great delight!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Highlight of the day was a posh tourist kicking off because the cafe only had instant coffee and no trim milk

Should have been kicked off the mountain for being such a tosser Toofy Grin Some people have no idea how wonderful these places are and how blessed they are to have only instant coffee and no trim milk. Did you have a word or did you bite your tongue?
I am heading up to Coronet in a few minutes will post an update in a few hours.
snow report
She walked past me a couple of minutes later, sitting in a deck chair, behind my truck, with a pot of espresso going on a camping stove, and bacon and eggs cooking on a portable barbie Very Happy .

I didn't offer to make her a coffee.
snow conditions
Quote:

it was fairly busy - I counted 23 cars in the car park at one point

snowHead snowHead snowHead
sounds - and looks - great. Very other-worldly scenery, from a Euro point of view.
snow report
pam w, dunno, reminds me of Scottish skiing a little bit.
latest report
Damn! I knew it was just a matter of time before those fields got crowded out:lol:
Instant coffee??? Corr... luxury! in my day...walk up from coast in bare feet; carve skis with our teeth out of dead frozen possums, collect discarded kea feathers, sheep wool tufts for salopettes and jackets, crush rocks by slamming foreheads together to make gritty energy drink (etc etc)...and the locals STILL called us pampered townies...
latest report
I find something very unScottish about some of them photos. Not the ones with the snowy bits and lifts - the more landscapy ones. Really good to see something so different. I did visit Ruapehu once, unable to resist the temptation driving across the island with an "important" rendezvous in Wellington that evening (which I missed...). Rolling green landscape full of sheep and pick up trucks, then suddenly there's a massive great volcano covered in snow. V exciting. (Not as exciting as when it erupted the following year, though).

I've not been to S Island but it's on the list, for one day.
snow conditions
I'm going to Scotland at the end of Septmber, so it will be interesting to see if it looks like NZ. Staying in a castle with 40 mates for a wedding - really excited!! And looking forward to having a go at some Scottish trout.
ski holidays
I was just talking about the skiing ones. hang11, where in Scotland?
latest report
hang11, There are parts of the Highlands (in even my limited experience of Scotland) where you'd absolutely swear you were up Central somwhere or in the McKenzie Country... or is it the other way around?

They look so alike that I often think those early Scottish settlers must've got off the boat in Canterbury or Otago and promptly demanded their money back, thinking they'd been sailed around in circles for six months by unscrupulous skippers and then landed somewhere back in Scottie.
snow report
Happy face time Very Happy

Looks like we're about to get SMASHED Very Happy by what met service is calling a "perfect snowstorm"

Forecast looks like about 1 to 1.5 metres of snow and blizzard conditions between Sunday and Tuesday.

Also 8 metre swells Very Happy Not sure if I could handle a surf in the predicted temperatures though.
snow report
hang11, enjoy mate.
ski holidays
Some from today, from Mt Hutt. Going to Dobson tomorrow, Roundhill on Sunday

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy