Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Total Commitment Bond

Poster: A snowHead
A friend of mine is being interviewed soon for a job for next season with Ski Total. It appears that if they offer you a job you have to pay them 'A Commitment Bond'. Anyone have any idea how much this is ? Anyone have any experience of working for them?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RUGBY PETER, You have to pay them ? Wow.

I'd turn up with a set of their accounts downloaded from companies house and start asking questions about movements in the profit and loss a/c Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RUGBY PETER, try Natives, lots of people asking similar things. I know it exists in the industry but i wouldnt be prepared to do that!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Standard practice for almost all companies for Winter job, it's £100 for HotelPlan (Total/Esprit/Inghams). As for experience working for them, what do you want to know, I worked for them last Winter and am currently working for them now.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RUGBY PETER,
Hi

It's normal in the industry as the nature of the work means that some people decide, sometime at very short notice, not to take up positions they may have accepted, or they decide to leave before the end of the season. This leads to extra cost’s to the TO – extra flights for new staff, new lift passes, etc.

We ask people for a £250 bond after they have been interviewed and been offered a job (sent it in with the signed T&C's)
Why?
That's what it costs us for the full season lift pass and we have to buy these in Nov. If people change their mind we can't get a refund on the pass.

Note - the £250 is held by a firm of accountants and they guarantee to refund it within 48 hours of the staff member returning to the UK direct into the bank account.

Full details here
Mind you I'm not sure I'd get a job with this requirement "ottima conoscenza orale della lingua inglese", well after some grappa anyway Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
RUGBY PETER, You have to pay them ? Wow.

I'd turn up with a set of their accounts downloaded from companies house and start asking questions about movements in the profit and loss a/c Toofy Grin

Its a bond, ultimately you get it back, when is up to them I guess,
Doesnt exactly exude trust, or say much about the conditions, I wonder what other measures they take to keep you in the job once you arrive and you work out what you let yourself in for. Do they say anything about when you get your bond back?

Ultimately you need to be assured that if you turn up and dont like it, you can leave without penalty or debt.

Nix.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wayne, finding it hard to believe they won't refund an unused pass.

Quote:

Its a bond, ultimately you get it back

Erm. Not necessarily. If you leave during the season they'll usually keep it (I've seen this applied even when staff member in question was injured and the company refused to keep them on). And there's a fair chance that at the end of the season they'll claim your accommodation wasn't clean or you broke something and pocket it anyway.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Standard stuff.

A lot of chancers will accept a TO job, take the provided flights and transfers to resort then do a runner. Sneaky bugs.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ski Total staff were very happy place I stayed (Tignes) last year. Seemed like a good show to work for.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Standard stuff. Although Crystal have absolutely failed so far to return my £100 deposit from my last season despite numerous requests for it and fully completing my season with no issues.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yep, standard stuff in the travel TO business.

As said above, there are simply too many chancers/bums/people with no integrity out there, who will happily accept jobs from 3 or 4 different employers, then drop most of them in the s*** a few days before they are due to start work, or simply won't turn up in resort.

This denies genuine candidates an opportunity.

In addition, in the 'olden days' 80's there were no low fare airlines, so p***ing off back home half-way through the season was not an option. You just got stuck in and did your season and honoured your committment to your employer.

Nowadays, people just stuff their employer and hop on an easyjet flight home taking company property/uniforms etc. with them.

So, a committment bond, simply focuses the mind of the intended employee and gets them to consider 'do i really want THIS job' before accepting and sending off their cheque.

And if you p*** off home in the middle of the season, you loose it.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

And if you p*** off home in the middle of the season, you loose it.

Even if you push off home because you've broken your leg and your employer decides to fire you as a result. Which seems a tad unreasonable really.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cause and effect here:

If you have a job that requires the use of your legs, then you have a responsiblity to make sure that you can do that job. I.e. not break them and take precautions. i.e. not board on the rails, not ski that particular couloir etc. etc. Not stumble home so p***ed from the pub that you slip over.

In the example you give above, it's not about the employer deciding to fire you. You would have put yourself in that position. The employer is not going to carry dead weight or people that cannot add value to their business, and frankly, why should they?

IMHO
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chamexpress, What if the person broke their leg slipping on some ice outside say a bakery picking up fresh bread for the punters ? In that case it could well be argued that the injury was received at work and if the employer then fires the person it could well be construed as unfair dismissal, I'm not saying this is what occurred above but so far as I can tell it is no more or less likely than your supposition.

In any case the employer should still have returned the bond as it is a commitment to turn up and work not to be invulnerable.

Yes there are chancers out there, but unfortunately there are also unscrupulous tour operators, moral of the stories above is to check on exactly when the bond will be refunded and under what if any circumstances the operator can hang onto the bond. Oh and get the details in writing wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chamexpress, so if you were working as a bus driver in Brighton and broke a leg in a road accident on your day off, you'd expect your employer to fire you and effectively fine you £100? I really don't think so.
snow report
Lizzard, If in the 1st six months of a contract then probably yes..... thing is the season is typically only 5 months long.

OK perhaps not fine you the £100 but sacked yes.
snow conditions
Depends on the wording of your contract, some will give you part of the commitment bond back. I broke my ankle first night in resort this Winter and ended up on a flight home before training week was even half way through and would have got half my commitment bond back. I ended up getting all of it back as once I was walking and out of cast I was on a plane back out to Austria to work the second half of the season, replacing somebody who had quit.

Took me fooking ages to get my P45 and commitment bond back from Crystal when I worked for them a couple of seasons ago, was almost 5 months before they came through.
snow report
Sitter, sadly some companies seem to have a strange idea as to how long "As soon as possible" actually is, this is what the tax office currently say about sending out P45s, they used to give a set period nut for some reason no longer do so.

This is a damn good reason to get stuff like this in writing, if the company concerned writes that you will receive your refund within say 28 days and you haven't you then have a claim against them, if they just say when we get around to it it's much harder to get your money back in a reasonable time
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy