Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

skiing in Austria - Obergurgl? Kuhtai? (1/2 term)

Poster: A snowHead
I've never been to Austria and a few friends have recommended Obergurgl so quite fancy that for Feb half-term but just looked at Gatwick flights to Innsbruck (EJ/BA)and the cost is prohibitive for a family of 4.

Any suggestions/recommendations for flights, accommodation (wouldn't necessarily rule out packages, but don't fancy the likes of Crystal/Nielsson) much appreciated snowHead

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 2-07-11 14:04; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
actually just been reading about the resort and the slopes sound a little timid? We're not extreme skiers by any means but like tough reds a few blacks and a bit of off-piste playing around near the pistes - perhaps another Austrian resort might be more appropriate? Not interested in nightlife, there for the skiing, like convenient access to slopes.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
simonx,
Inghams are the biggest UK tour op in Obergurgl. However the words "half term" and "prohibitively expensive" probably go together like eggs and bacon and you've missed any of the early booking deals. Added to that Obergurgl is not cheap, but that's the price you pay for quality.

Don't believe everything you read about the skiing there. It's not La Grave or St Anton but there's plenty of variety to keep you going for a week. If you have fresh snow there's loads of slopeside off piste which rarely gets tracked. You can also pay an extra 10€ when you buy your pass and that gives you a day in Solden.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Steve - it is such a pain thinking of somewere new to go - that you can afford too! Any thoughts on Kuhtai ?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
simonx, although I have never skied in Kuhtai, I have some friends who live in Axams/Innsbruck who's preference is to go to Kuhtai rather than the couple of meters up the road to their own resort in Axams. It's said to be pretty decent skiing and snow sure. Not many Brits go there. Deffo worth a try.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I know size isn't everything but Kubtai has 44km piste whereas Obergurgl has 110km piste. Obergurgl the base stations start at about 2000m above sea level and is at the end of a valley that is closed in Winter just a little bit further up the valley. Thus Obergurgl, with 3 summits two of which are above 3000m, is very white much like Lech of St Anton. It is very snow sure.

Obergurgl is in the same valley as Solden which is bigger (148km piste) with a sunny side at the top of the glaciers. The two resorts are 11 miles apart. Either resort has plenty to explore in a week. Solden is cheaper and has more young skiers whereas more mature skiers seem to prefer Obergurgl, avoid the crowd and prepare to pay for more for its accommodation. That was my impression and the view by a few skiers I talked to.

For challenging Austria resort try Ischgl, Mayrhofen, Kitzbehul and Stubai.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Having second thoughts unofrtunately since I can;t find affordable flights to Austria.
Thanks for all the info, would still like to go to Austria if I can find a great 1/2 term deal!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Family at half term - rather you than me! although fyi I got an Inghams new brochure this week which has various early booking offers and free kids places available until Oct/Nov.... although Feb half term prob not counted? Have you considered Easter instead? much cheaper...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have you checked the ryanair airports graz and klagenfurt? There are direct flights from stansted to graz and to klagenfurt. From graz there should be a direct train connection to schladming (2,5 hours) or by car (1.5 hours) and to other salzburg ski areas (obertauern etc).
From klagenfurt it is 1,5 hours by car to nassfeld and kals-matrei both with 80 or more kilometres of slopes
and to obertauern 1,5 h
m.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
mfa, you seem to know a lot about Austrian resorts and Austrian school holidays. Would you by any chance be Austrian?

I've skied the Amadé resorts amongst others in the school holidays and yes there are a lot of people but they very quickly spread out and you rarely have to queue for very long at any of the so-called bottle-necks. Timing is everything and planning.

Ryanair fly from London Stansted and are not as cheap as many people think when you add on all their "extras", most of which other airlines and most passengers would call essentials, e.g. luggage and a seat. Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kuhtai is a brilliant place to go as long as you don't need extensive skiing. Having said that I believe there is some great guided skiing available. In my opinion The Astoria is one of the great proper ski in / out hotels. You have to go past its ice bar to get to the adjacent boot room and sometimes you don't make it!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kuhtai is a brilliant place to go as long as you don't need extensive skiing. Having said that I believe there is some great guided skiing available. In my opinion The Astoria is one of the great proper ski in / out hotels. You have to go past its ice bar to get to the adjacent boot room and sometimes you don't make it!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Samerberg Sue
yes I live in vienna and occasionally working in bham
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks for the advice, still not sure where to begin mind.
Does anyone know if it is the Austrian school hols Feb 11th-18th 'cos that might rule it out.
All we need is a quiet, cheap-to-get-to resort for half-term with plenty of great ski-ing Shock
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Other Austrian or Geman residents may offer better information but from my observations so far are

(1) Austrian has over 300 resorts. They can ski every week end near their home and have no necessity like the us to travel long distance to spend the whole week in an anual skiing holiday.
(2) It is much cheaper for the Austrian kids to learn skiing in nearby small resorts. These resorts are not visited by international skiers.
(3) For half term holidays crowd is mainly a French problem as the French kids prefer skiing in their own country. If they go to Switzerland, Austria and Italy they are not in large number.

I do find skiing in countries like Austria, Norway, Sweden and Switzerland is like recreational activities they do regularly in weekends and spare time. For France a lot of visitors go there for a once-a-year pilgrimage.
snow conditions
simonx, We've been ti kappl for the past 2 years with the family. Great value family resort with a nice wee ski area. Fantastic skiing just up the road in ischgl. We stayed at a great gasthof beside the piste for just over €1000 for a week (family of 4). Gasthof alpenfrieden. About an hour from Innsbruck. Highly recommended.
ski holidays
simonx, Think about Italy it is cheaper as price seems an issue. I like Pila but maybe a little small for you. You do get a day out at another resort in the Aosta valley inclusive in the lift pass. Checkout www.pilaski.co.uk and check what deals they have available. They will do everything but the flights.

We fly to Geneva and hire car to drive there - 2.5 hrs. Turin is nearer, if you have local flights, but harder for us to get there.
snow report
simonx wrote:
I've never been to Austria and a few friends have recommended Obergurgl so quite fancy that for Feb half-term but just looked at Gatwick flights to Innsbruck (EJ/BA)and the cost is prohibitive for a family of 4.

Any suggestions/recommendations for flights, accommodation (wouldn't necessarily rule out packages, but don't fancy the likes of Crystal/Nielsson) much appreciated snowHead

Obergurgl is a great place for skiing. All resorts in Austria are very professional and offer all you need for your vacations including child care. http://www.hotel-obergurgl.at/en-family_holiday_tyrol-family_room.shtml Take a look at this link, here you find some more useful information for your stay.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy