Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trip advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi. We are a family of four ( 2 teenagers) we had a weeks instruction in Slovenia last winter and can all parallel turn.....just about. Anyway, we would like to go somewhere next winter where we can get some reasonably cheap lessons and some not so challenging long runs. Ideally we would like to go somewhere that is quite picturesque ( I think the kids favour Austria) and not too expensive, self catering would be ok but we don't want to crammed into one of those huge apartment blocks. We will be travelling towards the end of january. Any advice would be much appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try Gites de France, they have a couple of self catering apts in Araches, adjacent to Les Carroz on the Grand Massif , France. We very nearly booked but decided to stick with our usual place not too far away. Expect you will find all ski resorts/mountain ranges will meet with your picturesque requirements. SC just down the mountain on a ski drive holiday could be right up your street, and the ski area is vast as others here will testify. I'll try and seek out the link.

Unless others can advise differently ski lessons are generally of a similar price but you may find a family group like yours could benefit from a "private" group lesson for a day or two which may give you better value. Again I am sure others may be able to advise.

Hope this helps.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
saul67, if your kids are wanting Austria, with those dates you probably can take your pick of anywhere. There are lots of self-catering apartments, including a few snowHeads who have apartments in Austria. Not all apartments in France are rabbit hutches - if you look carefully you may find a bigger one at a bargain price in January as it is outside all the school holiday periods, however you may have to pay a surplus for under occupancy.

You probably need to indicate what the budget is. Doing DIY to Austria is the easiest way to to organise a self-catering trip. Book flights to Salzburg or Innsbruck and use the public transport links to the resorts (way cheaper than paying for private transfers). Many of the bigger resorts have public links either from the airport or from the main bus terminals during the winter season, especially at the weekends. for example in the winter season there is a regular bus transfer from Salzburg to direct to Flachau in the heart of the Sport Amade system.

There are plenty of choices out there, probably excluding Switzerland given the sad state of sterling against the Swiss Franc. You pays your money and takes your choice.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Saul

Bansko sounds like it would be perfect for your family, the runs in bansko are all quite long, including the 7km ski road back to resort which is a gentle blue plus the scenery is fantastic. Im sure you will feel quite comfortable on all the blues and a couple of the reds by the end of the week. Lesson prices are quite good value for money and the prices both in the resort and on the mountain is great compared to some of the alpine resorts.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Not all apartments in France are rabbit hutches - if you look carefully you may find a bigger one at a bargain price in January as it is outside all the school holiday periods, however you may have to pay a surplus for under occupancy.

if you rent an apartment in France direct (ie not through a tour operator) you will generally pay a set price for the apartment and there's no under-occupancy charge. As Samerberg Sue indicates you can rent places of any degree of luxury in France - from cheap and rather cramped to expensive and super-luxury. The range is absolutely vast and you're in a buyer's market in January. As an example, you could rent a high quality, well equipped, two bedroom slopeside apartment in a smaller resort, at that time of year, for 400 euros. Here's an example: http://www.locapart-lessaisies.com/photo_appartement.html

There should be absolutely no need to pay more than that.

Private lessons for the family would indeed be a good idea - would cost 82 euros for 2 hours for 4 people in Les Saisies and if you are around the same standard and keen to progress quickly, that's your best bet.

Most French rentals are Sat/Sat (or occasionally Sun/Sun through private owners). That makes travel both more expensive and more crowded and difficult. Even in January, the roads can be busy on Saturdays and if the weather is bad (and of course you're hoping for heaps of snow, aren't you?) there can be delays.

The ideal, really, is to travel mid-week. That's not practicable with ski school group lessons but would be fine with private lessons which you can arrange to suit yourselves.

There are some owners (including some on Snowheads) who rent out their apartments for flexible periods. If you decided that was the way you wanted to go, you could come back here with a specific request and, if you're flexible about destination, should be able to find something suitable. Travelling to Alpine resorts on Saturdays is for people with no choice. wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks very much for your replies, it has definitely given me food for thought. I think independent might be the way to go.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheapish, easy runs with long runs to progress to, good instruction and scenic? Livigno in Italy maybe. It matches all of your criteria bang on but has a few drawbacks - long and if driving yourself pretty hair raising transfer is the only serious one.

High and good snow record too - yes Livigno is a very good match... must be ?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you drive then the options are endless.

We stayed in Haus Sportiv, a self catering unit of about 60 to 70 sq.m. 4 miles off Solden and 7 miles off Obergurgl for 5 nights paying Euro 365. The place has a facilities to sleep 4 to 5.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have you considered Saalbach in Austria? I went there last December with a large group, mainly consisting of beginners, and they found it perfect. There was a large number of pistes which, on the whole, would be ideal for the people you have described in your group. Just about everywhere in the Alps should be fine in January, including Saalbach. I also agree with the comment about Livigno, it would fit the bill, but, as already mentioned, the transfer would be tough. Check out these skiing holidays in Austria.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you're going in January and aren't too desperate where you go then you could hold out for a late booking - you may get a very good deal - but you have to hold your nerve (by late I mean booking Wed/Thurs for travel at the weekend) That way you would get an inclusive deal which can relieve some of the stress if you're not used to organising your own trip.

Thoughts re where to go - Risoul/VArs, Morzine/Les Gets and La Rosiere all fitted the bill when we weren't very gung ho skiers.

I know early skiers have found Andorra met their needs. Also look at Serre Chevalier and Montgenevre.

If you're a relatively early skier I would suggest a smaller resort (with cheaper lift pass prices) rather than fork out for lots of Km of skiing that you're not going to use.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all your replies. I haven't got a clue what to do now Confused. I would like to drive, but it takes the best part of the day to get to Dover, so I guess we'll have to fly. Italy might be a good option as the rest of the family are veggies and Austria is a bit meat orientated. A smaller resort would also be sensible as we are not going to cover a massive amount of runs ( we were over the moon in Slovenia and we spent most of our time on the same slope) and I would prefer it not to be too crowded. Stil,l I have 6 months to enjoy finding something. Cheers
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
saul67, Italy? Generally not overly challenging? Good dietary spread? Not overly crowded (from experience at that time)? Not a vast resort (but with options to go further)? Could do much worse that Folgarida/Marilleva.

Trip report 1st

Trip report 2nd
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Austria is a bit meat orientated

France isn't great for vegetarians, either. Don't know about Italy. When my then veggie daughter went to Spain to stay with a friend, their idea of veggie food was to cut the ham up very small. wink India's good for veggies, but not so great for skiing, on the whole.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
saul67, As a veggie skier I can say with authority that it is easier to eat veggie in Austria than France, Italy is eaiser than Austria and, surprisingly, Switerland is the best of all (I found every restaurant had at least one veggie option!)

You might want to look at Flangesax place http://www.austrian-adventures.com/ the local slopes of Radstadt/Altenmarkt are excellent and you can travel further afield if you feel you need to progress to more challenging slopes....and he does a mean veggie goulash!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy