Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do you know of a good place to ski in Austria Christmas period.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
The only chance I will get this season to get some skiing in will be over the Christmas period.
I will be going on my own and will have to book early so as not to pay a single supplement. Most places only have a few single rooms and these seem to get booked up quickly.
I like Austria, and been to Mayrhofen, St Anton and the ski Areas around Innsbruck, but would like to go to a different place this time.
I am a advanced skier and don`t mind on piste or off piste skiing. Due to the time of year the area would have to have access to high altitude mountains.
I am not bothered about the aprez ski as its the skiing that I am going for.
Allthough Austria would be my first choice I don`t mind looking at other places in Europe.
Thank you.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lots of answers on here if you use the forum search facility?

Don't wish to be rude but your wishes fit so may places in Austria and beyond it would probably be easier to tell you where not to go?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have only spent one Christmas in Austria and it was in Zell am See. I had a car at the time so I went around Saalbach/HInterglemm too which is only a few miles from Zell am See.

If you go with a sizeable town like St Anton it should be good in Christmas as there will be a lot of activities. Mayrhofen is a bit smaller but similar in size to Saalbach or Hinterglemm.

I would say for similar to St Anton would be Solden, Ischgl, Kitzbuhel, Bad Gastein Valley...

Other smaller towns would be Soll (or other big areas within Ski Welt), Flachau (or other big ski areas within Ski Amade), Stubai Valley,...

Ski Welt is fully linked by 7 to 8 areas and Kitzbuhel grown in size in recent years so they will take some time to explore. Both are in the same valley a few miles apart.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
yes there are some ski resorts in Austria that are less busy (in terms of during congestion on the slope) during the christmas period

Here my suggestions (restricted to ski resorts with 50 km of slopes or more):
obergurgl (because few can afford it)
Heiligenblut (off the beaten track, nice village )
nauders /reschenpass
Matrei/Kals (remote area close to carnithia)
Wildkogel (neukirchen bramberg a new lift opened last year makes the area more attractive)
Tauplitzalm (plenty of cheap accomodations)
Katschberg (with plenty of ski in ski out accomodation)
Großeck - Speiereck - Mauterndorf (with a skibus connection to obertauern)
koenigsleiten /Hochkrimmel (the most quiet part of the extensive ziller valley ski network)

What is common to the resorts is the long distance to the neareast town and therefore not interesting for daytrippers

I think it is not a good idea to go to ski resorts that can be easily reached by car from munich (for instance kitzbuehel, Skiwelt ellmau, soell westerndorf, also but to lesser extent ziller valley). These resorts are crowded because of daytrippers.
m.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I think it is not a good idea to go to ski resorts that can be easily reached by car from munich (for instance kitzbuehel, Skiwelt ellmau, soell westerndorf, also but to lesser extent ziller valley). These resorts are crowded because of daytrippers.
Total rubbish. Over Christmas these places are not crowded at all. I go there every Christmas.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
s
Quote:

skiwelt:
there are about 2.5 million ski visits(skier days) on average in each winter season which is the highest number in AT and of which 20 per cent are during the christmas period. Slopes can get crowded particulary the upper sections of the ski areas. Note that the snow in lower sections of the ski area can suffer from warm weather and rain and therefore all skier and boarders try to escape. And it's an one hour drive from munich, an urban area with 2 million inhabitants and ski welt is the nearest large ski resort
mfa

snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mfa, yeah, but I actually go to those places at Christmas, have done for decades. The crowds arrive for New Year and I reckon that's what they mean by "Christmas period". As for the statement about the weather and the lower slopes, that's been written by someone who has never been there. And "ski welt" isn't a resort. Seriously, you are just regurgitating false info.

Some of the places you mention are good. I especially like Kals and have been to Heiligenblut, Nauders, Katschberg and Obergurgl. Some of those will be like ghost towns at Christmas (except Obergurgl) and it's nice to have a bit of life going on.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I agree it is quiet over christmas but this also holds for the other ski resorts. The crowds arrive on december 25 or 26th depending on the timing of the weekend. Skiwelt wilder kaiser is the official name of the ski area at least in my country. There are nice sections for instance westendorf I agree. But I would never spent a whole week in this area.
Concering snow conditions I had a bad experience with high snow lines. Note that the average altitude of the uphill lift stations is 1490 metres which is one of lowest in AT (average altitude of slopes is 1240m). Warm winters such as 2006/2007 will occur again.
best
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bargainbill wrote:
Hi all,
The only chance I will get this season to get some skiing in will be over the Christmas period.
I will be going on my own and will have to book early so as not to pay a single supplement. Most places only have a few single rooms and these seem to get booked up quickly.
I like Austria, and been to Mayrhofen, St Anton and the ski Areas around Innsbruck, but would like to go to a different place this time.
I am a advanced skier and don`t mind on piste or off piste skiing. Due to the time of year the area would have to have access to high altitude mountains.
I am not bothered about the aprez ski as its the skiing that I am going for.
Allthough Austria would be my first choice I don`t mind looking at other places in Europe.
Thank you.

Hi bargainbill,

why don't you try Obergurgl. Great slopes, great skiis, great atmosphere: check on this link:
http://www.hotel-obergurgl.at/en-skiing_tyrol_obergurgl-skiing_area_tyrol.shtml
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bode Swiller wrote:
The crowds arrive for New Year and I reckon that's what they mean by "Christmas period". As for the statement about the weather and the lower slopes, that's been written by someone who has never been there. And "ski welt" isn't a resort. Seriously, you are just regurgitating false info.

+1
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Why not stay in Zurs this time? Different village and immediate ski area but same region as St. Anton. You would have access to large areas of powder snow. In St. Anton powder can get skied out quickly, whilst in Zurs fewer skiers means less to share. Alternatively, in eastern Switzerland, there's Laax/Flims ski area or Chamonix in France.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have a look at Lech - one of my favourites
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy