Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton to Lech

Poster: A snowHead
Other than the bus can you get from the top lift St Anton side other to Lech. It looks off piste the other side and you can't get that way.
Has anyone tryed it
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do you mean the route off the back of the Valluga II lift? If so, then yes, it is *serious* off-piste.

In fact, you aren't even allowed by the lift company to take your skis / board up with you on the lift unless you are fully equipped and accompanied by an off-piste guide.

Also, I believe the end of the route is in Zurs, so you would still need to ski half of the White Circle to get to Lech itself.

A half-way house would be to take Blue 17 all the way down the Valfagehr bottom station, where there are buses that will take you to Lech if I remember correctly.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
From the top of the Valluga 2 (a tiny lift that takes about 6 people) there is a classic off-piste route with a few variants down to Zurs. Quite a lot of people do it. However, because it is fairly steep at the top with rock bands you are only allowed up the top lift with skis if you are with a guide. Most people just go up for the view. However it looks worse from the top than it really is and the sightseers all come and watch you start down which is quite fun.
You can continue on-piste to Lech but it is more fun to go the off piste route over the top to Zug.
Or if you don't have a guide, ski to almost the bottom of the St Anton system (at Alpe Rauz, I think - someone correct me if I'm wrong) and catch a bus to Zurs (or Lech). More fun than bus all the way. You'll also need to take the bus the same bit the other way (ie from Zurs to Alpe Rauz - assuming you still have time to take the lifts up from there).
This is a good map: http://www.igluski.com/images/_i4752869.jpg (click on the bit you want to enlarge)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not quite on the subject of skiing from St.Anton to Lech but there is lots of info about St.Anton and the ski areas on my website: www.st-antonamarlberg.co.uk
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the advice. Have used the bus at Valfagehr before
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Glen Charman, The bus can get very very busy at peak times, eg 11am when everyone is powering down from top of Schindler to Rauz, its a real bun fight at times. Better IMO to bite the bullet early and get a 8.30 (latest) post bus from St Anton and get off at Zurs, catch the 2 person chair from behind the hotel, ski down to and over the road conveyor then catch lift up to Madloch and then down to Zug and onwards clockwise around White Ring. Avoid mega prices in Oberlech lunchstops, take a pack lunch. Plenty of great runs over the road and up to Trittkopf and back down to Zurs and 4.30pm bus home................well earned beer at Underground..............great day out, but unless very early, ie before 9.30am at Alpe Rauz I'd avoid trying to get on a ski-bus to Lech.

I've yet to do the off-piste link, but am really tempted for next year................... Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
trying not to hijack the thread, I'm thinking of going to Lech or St. Anton next year - seems like the only way to St. Anton from Lech is by bus then. Is that correct ? How frequent and how busy are they (we'll be going at UK half term) first thing in the morning / end of the day ?

....also if we decide to go to either St Anton or Lech and hire a car, what's the parking like in both assuming that we'd drive occasionally from one to the other ?

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 1-07-11 13:34; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Every 1/2 hour, much more frequent at peak times just turn up, timetables are available but IMO you just wait 15 mins and one always comes...............or take a taxi bus if theres 6 of you (from next to the bus station) and your there much quicker, and only about £3-4 each if a good bunch of you. Have fun, great place............expect it to be busy, and buses full at 1/2 term, going full but if going from St Anton terminus no problem (Rauz different altogether), coming back usually OK unless its bad weather when they can get very busy earlier when everyone is keen to get home 3.30pm ish, even then worst case you just flag down a taxi and get back home OK, no problems.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Free buses from Lech to Valfagehr are roughlly every 10 mintes peak, 20 minutes off peak. Post buses are 1 an hour.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
dsoutar, driving from St Anton I'd park at Zurs. Driving from Lech I'd park near Nasserein. Both have space if you get there early.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This is the steep top bit of the back of the Valluga http://www.torbensphotos.com/keyword/valluga#721539450_BgcXy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Markymark29, The last time I used the bus at Valfagehr it was a pain to get on. Sad

I think off the back of Valluga lift may be beyond my ability as I’ve only done a little off piste in the past. Crying or Very sad
Can you tell me which runs make up the White Circle? And is it worth doing as I.ve only been to ST Anton once and didn’t ski Zurs only Lech. Puzzled

I ski with a group ranging from good intermediate to Advanced is there any must do runs you can recommend Very Happy

Thanks
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Glen Charman, Der Weisse Ring tells you all you need to know... along with a very smooth soundtrack... wink

It's well worth doing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Glen Charman, Hi Glen......see the following link theres plenty of info here

http://www.derweissering.at/DWR010/frame_index.php?type=skirunde&language=de

We do it every year and its well within the reach of most intermediates/ advanced, and plenty of variants. Same route but you can add many additional bits on. When we go we either set off early from St Anton and ski down to Alpe Rauz from Schindler and catch the Lech Zurs ski bus, but you need to be out early to avoid crowds at Alpe Rauz. Alternatively as above catch the Post Bus from St Anton (small charge 8€ I think) and get off in Zurs at same place, ie at first roundabout (or drive round and park in carparks just as you enter Zurs, FOC parking). We catch the 2 person chair behind the hotel on the right and ski down and over the road (conveyor on the bridge). Catch left lift (one on right is slower), and at top we go left and up Muggengratbahn and have a warm up run back to same place. If getting busy we go straight forward at the top and catch Madlochbahn and get straight to the top. Either way then we do a offpiste run under the Madlochbahn, great powder even last season. Then back up to top Mdlochbahn. Then the best bit, big run down to Zug......can be very cold at the top, and entry can be a bit daunting but its fine, best run on the White Ring IMO. New Chair up to top (trendy new restaurant at top), amazing scenery. At top pulley to top of ridge then drop down on left to 8 person chair (forget name but follow the crowd). Top of this lift ski right down to Lech via Oberlech, lunch stops a plenty (if you are feeling well off!). Walk across the road and into main gondola, then follow the obvious route and finish back in Zurs, good places for a day-end beer as you drop down into Zurs. Catch Lech/ Zurs ski bus back to Alpe Rauz and if time back up and over and down blue valley to St Anton or catch Post bus back to St Anton.

PM me if you want names of runs/ lifts and i'll PM you.

Regarding must do runs, there all in that catagory IMO, just an amazing area, all good.................Both sides off top of Shindlergrat, itinery route is excellent, Mattun (take a guide), Rendl on a sunny day takes some beating, as does the warm up offpiste off the back of Kapall (down to the chair, dont go too low, very dangerous Schoengraben).

Only 6 months to wait - have fun!
Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Markymark29 wrote:
Glen Charman, The bus can get very very busy at peak times, eg 11am when everyone is powering down from top of Schindler to Rauz, its a real bun fight at times.

This is often said, but doesn't accord with my experience in Christmas week in 2010. The buses were busy, but the first one that arrived always swallowed up everyone who was waiting, even when the queues were artificially swollen by an extended breakdown of the Valfagehrbahn lift. The big benefits of catching the bus at Alpe Rauz are that it's faster (a decent skier can outpace the bus from StAnton to Alpe Rauz), you get to ski rather than sit idly on a bus, it's more frequent (which means you don't need to faff with timetables), and it's free (the direct Post Bus carries an additional charge).

I guess the size of the bunfight depends on the time of year. I'd suggest eyeballing the crowds and, if they're too big, catch the Post Bus the following day.
ski holidays
Jonny Jones, +1, you're right..................worst thing though is when you just miss the bus at Alpe Rauz and are first there, and then the cast of Ben-hur turns up and you are fighting to get on!
ski holidays
By the way, if you are in the Lech / Zurs region look out for these: http://www.vorarlberg.travel/media/16255/Heft_HorizonField_Original_2011.pdf by Antony Gormley (creator of Angel of the North). It consists of 100 solid iron figures all defining parts of a an imaginary plane at 2,039 metres.
snow report
snowball, the figures certainly added to my trip to the Arlberg. We could all benefit from a little more art in the mountains.
latest report
snowball, my kids loved those when we did the Weissring with them!

When you say imaginary plane, do you mean they are laid out to make a plane shape when viewed from above? Never knew that Smile

ski holidays
No, I meant a plane in the geometrical sense of a 2 dimensional area. The title Horizon Field indicates it in a more open, poetic way. You can see the placement of the figures on the plan (the second plan has ski areas in blue).
snow report
Quote:

Then the best bit, big run down to Zug......can be very cold at the top, and entry can be a bit daunting but its fine, best run on the White Ring IMO. New Chair up to top (trendy new restaurant at top), amazing scenery

Agree it's a great run. Not sure when the new lift went in though - I stayed in Zug in March this year and it was still the same old 2-man lift
latest report
Caspar, Think its going in this summer (anyone local enough to confirm?), sorry for confusion yes last year it was the slow 2-man chair, but great chair to take in the views and recover from the hammer down from Madloch! Nearly ended up in the river there last year, almost slid off the chair into it as the bar was being pulled down Shocked
ski holidays
Markymark29, Caspar, we had a very sureal experience on that lift this past April, we were going up it in full ski gear, underneath was green grass and hikers in shorts and T shirts!!
snow report
kitenski, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Markymark29 wrote:
Caspar, Think its going in this summer (anyone local enough to confirm?), sorry for confusion yes last year it was the slow 2-man chair, but great chair to take in the views and recover from the hammer down from Madloch! Nearly ended up in the river there last year, almost slid off the chair into it as the bar was being pulled down Shocked

Only lift building gong on here at the moment is the replacement/upgrade of the Weibermahd lift (the one that takes you from the bottom of the speed trap bit back up). Nothing happening with the Zugerberg and not heard about anything being done to it.
snow report
I was up at the Weibermahd site last week. There's some SERIOUS construction going on there. Must be costinng many millions. The thing is, the old lift was fine. I wouldn't have said it needed replacing. I'd have done the old Madloch first.
snow conditions
The Weibermahd replacement is part of a larger plan to link Lech and Warth together, which from what I've been reading on the "Alpinforum" website the Weibermahd lift will the lift to connect the two resorts toegther, I think as a combi chair/gondel
latest report
The Weibermahd replacement is part of a larger plan to link Lech and Warth together, which from what I've been reading on the "Alpinforum" website the Weibermahd lift will the lift to connect the two resorts toegther, I think as a combi chair/gondel
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy