Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes - Summer 2011

Poster: A snowHead
Just got back from a week in LDA and I managed to get up to the glacier on Tuesday so thought I'd post a few pics and start a thread as I couldn't see one for this year.

I was hugely impressed with the extent of the area and the quality of snow! My tracking app reckoned it was about 3km and a vertical of 750m from the highest point to the bottom. The top slopes were still very much frozen by lunchtime although the Roche Mantel and Signal slopes were chopped up and a little mushy by then, but lovely cruising territory down there while it lasted.

If you are considering going, I recommend easiski's blog, and my one regret was a lack of internet to access the blog while I was out there to check up on conditions.

oh and easiski, I saw what I now know were your tracks below the glacier from the Jandri Express!

View overlooking Puy Salie at the start of the morning - perfect weather

The general milling-around area at the bottom of Puy Salie T-bars

Looking down a deserted Roche Mantel

Looking up on the Signal 2 (I think?) chair

Bottom part of Signal

View from top of the Signal 1 chair

Bottom of Signal

Looking down from top of Puy Salie

Some monster superpipe cutting gear!

The views over to the Ecrins were amazing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snebbit, lovely, especially the Ecrins pic
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snebbit, Looks great! Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
this week its looks great, but to remember, It was alot more better last season, I will be surprise if LDA can keep going to the 28th august,
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snebbit, nice photos. I skied there early last season; brings back memories.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snebbit, great pics .... gives a better idea of then scale of the summer ski area than any pics I've seen before
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Doesn't look that much different up there than it did in April. I shall be there for a few days at the start of August, not sure whether to ski or not tbh.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That looks really good Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
freeheelskier wrote:
this week its looks great, but to remember, It was alot more better last season, I will be surprise if LDA can keep going to the 28th august,

How much better was it last year, freeheelskier?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whitegold, there was more snow, last year it was possible to ski signal until I think 21 july,, with this warm it will not work long time,,
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snebbit, is it set up okay for young kids to learn up there?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Guernseyfreerider, you can be sure for that Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The picture named "the bottom of signal", is the piste in winter usually much wider than that??? I seem to remember it was the widest piste ive ever skied on, maybe im wrong??? Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Guernseyfreerider,

There's apparently a Debutantes area at the top of the Puy Salie (See piste map link below) although I didn't have a good look at it to be honest so I can't vouch for that but the pistes are all very gentle up there and would be great for young kids (presuming the snow was as good as above - I think it gets icier and less pleasant later on in the summer). There's an underground funicular going up to the debutantes area so they wouldn't need to tackle any drags to get up there. The top half of the Signal piste is very wide and gentle green gradient and would be good for progressing to after they've got their balance and control and there's a chair serving it (although it's only a 2-seater so you'd need an adult per kid probably).

I don't have kids and haven't been to LDA before so I don't have any tips on lessons or child facilities unfortunately but the town was lovely and alive, and there's plenty of other things to occupy them and yourself while not skiing

Summer piste map
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Are there any bumps up there or is it all pisted flat every night? Never been to LDA so I have no idea.
snow report
We're heading out at the end of the month fora week for me to do a triathlon at Alpe d'Huez. Might head over to Les Deux Alpes. Won't have boots or skis with us, how do the hire shops work? Do they open before the lifts open at 7am-ish? Or is it better to go the day before and hire ready for an early start the next day? Are most of the shops open?
ski holidays
hammerite, I've just spent the last few days in LDA and skied Tue and Wed mornings. The Jandri lift from town opens at 7am, so if you're hiring gear and want to get an early start then you'd be better getting the gear the day before (I had my own tele gear). It was my first time in LDA (was very impressed with the town itself, somewhat bigger and prettier than I expected, and plenty of good restaurants - tried tartiflette for the first time Madeye-Smiley ). I stayed at the hotel Les Lutins which other Snowheads have used previously and I can recommend it.

On Tuesday I was skiing with Charlotte (Easiski) who showed me the summer ski area, and since she is a local instructor we we able to use the rapid entry lines to the lifts - on the Wed I was on my own and although I got to the Jandri lift line by 8:20pm it took 30 mins to actually get onto the gondola.

Charlotte took some photos on Tuesday of the ski area, see her blog.
ski holidays
Sorry for slow reply.

Thanks for the info Alastair.

I'll keep an eye on Charlotte's blog, we skied with her over the winter.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy