Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Math Made interesting.

Poster: A snowHead
I'd been helping my Nephew with his additional maths over the last couple of months and struggled to find any decent resource material. His school hadn't got any text books as OCD Additional Maths is just an add on for kids who take their GCSE a year early. It's treated as like and interim module to aid transition to A level.

I searched the web and found a few OK-ish sites, nothing decent and they were all really dry and academic.

Then a few days ago -after his exam of course - I found this:

http://www.khanacademy.org/

What a fantastic resource. From elementary to undergrad level. Brilliant. And unbelievably comprehensive. And FREE.

If you know anyone who wants any maths topic explained in 10 min chunks I'd suggest that this is the best online teaching resource I've come across.

OK the guy says math instead of maths but that apart it's great.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Our school provides special puzzle club classes to stretch some of the maths students and my youngest enjoys the logic puzzles he gets there. Things like one boat which will take two women, or a man and a woman but not two men and you have to use the boat to get a party of so many men and women to an island. I am looking for an online free source of logic puzzles like that for KS2 maths, but one that doesn't require something like a google or facebook login rolling eyes to access - if anyone has found any of these I'd appreciate any links to save me the time I will spend on google searching.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hi megamum ,

I've used this site to demonstrate the "properties of the equation of a straight line"

it also has a puzzle section
http://www.mathsisfun.com/index.htm
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
... maths ...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rayscoops wrote:
... maths ...

well i suppose you could discuss the gradient of a piste...... or just chuck it in apres with all the other rot rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
People who can afford a skiing holiday by default will need to know to do sums and generate a surplus first.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CEM, maths not math - do not care where it goes ... just hate the word math (without the s)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, have a look for the books of Martin Gardner; there are several about puzzles and fun with mathematics.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rayscoops, I also hate MATH. But thought I might make a little mischief with the title and see who bit first. Congrat's. Twisted Evil
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jzBun, woo hoo Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jzBun wrote:
rayscoops, I also hate MATH. But thought I might make a little mischief with the title and see who bit first. Congrat's. Twisted Evil
And there was I thinking that Snowheads was a community with a forgiving culture, one that did not pick upon minor grammatical or spelling foibles.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CEM,
Quote:
well i suppose you could discuss the gradient of a piste......

Have a look at this. It tells you how to calculate the gradient of a 3 dimensional hill and also how to calculate, and follow, the maximum fall line.

http://www.khanacademy.org/video/gradient-1?playlist=Calculus

I didn't understand a word
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think Math is US isn't it? They are both abbreviations of Mathematics so I can't say it bothers me.

Convert a 85% slope to degrees, and a convert a 30º slope to a percentage - then this thread will belong to the piste section.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball wrote:
I think Math is US isn't it? They are both abbreviations of Mathematics so I can't say it bothers me.

Absolutely. Although the UK useage does seem more logical to me since the full word is Mathematics, not Mathematic. wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alastair Pink, Not surer why that is necessarily more logical - I would have thought only a minority of abbreviations include the last letter, though I can't think of many plurals to compare with so I might be wrong there.

However, personally I find the old British Billion, Trillion, Quadrillion etc much more logical than the US (and now unfortunately our) Billion (etc). Billion (suggesting 2) was a million squared, trillion was a million cubed, Quadrillion was a million to the power 4. There is no similar simple logic for the US words.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 27-06-11 12:45; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
I haven't logged on for a while and was amazed to see this thread, since Maths provides me with almost as much fun as skiing!!. As an ex-Maths teacher I am happy to contribute. Some good ideas already, and you can also try books by Ian Stewart, Alex Bellos & John Allen Paulos. "Chaos" by James Glieck is a classic (and he's a journalist so not too many equations!) if you want to learn more. I have a list I have compiled of over 200 Maths websites if anyone is interested, just pm me. nrich.com is good to challenge bright kids, and coolmath4kids.com is great for kids of all ages, especially lower secondary. Also http://www.cut-the-knot.com/content.shtml is full of good stuff.
snow report
snowball wrote:
However, personally I find the old British Billion, Trillion, Quadrillion etc much more logical than the US (and now unfortunately our) Billion (etc). Billion (suggesting 2) was a million squared, trillion was a million cubed, Quadrillion was a million to the power 4. There is no similar simple logic for the US words.

There's nothing British about Trillion and Quadrillion. It's used in the US just as much.

However, you should see the reaction of people's face when those words were used!

The simple fact being, once you get over a million, people simply lose sense of how big it really is any way. (well, until million became a common unit, which itself is unfortunate)

When I was in school, once we got over 3 zeros, we express in power of 10 instead of adding more zero's to the end. Much easier to read without having to count the little '0'!
snow report
abc, I think snowball, is referring to the fact that the old British billion was 1,000,000,000,000 as opposed the US 1,000,000,000, the British trillion was 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 and so on. The US trillion is the old British billion.
snow conditions
miranda wrote:
abc, The US trillion is the old British billion.

Until very recently, but the cultural power of the USA won out after years of many British using the US Billion. Well, it does sound more impressive to say a billion rather than a thousand million..

One practcal problem of the word Billion is on the TV it is often not spoken very clearly and can often be mistaken for million.
ski holidays
Million, billion, trillion etc, see http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/jokes/bljokebushbrazilian.htm
ski holidays
To avoid the confusion regarding different US and old British meanings of billion and trillion, I propose that we should use the world wide scientific SI unit system prefix terminology - we could then talk about GigaPounds, TeraDollars etc. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Quote:

To avoid the confusion regarding different US and old British meanings of billion and trillion, I propose that we should use the world wide scientific SI unit system prefix terminology - we could then talk about GigaPounds, TeraDollars etc.

And to discuss most bank savings account interest rates we could use femtoPence
snow conditions
Acacia wrote:

And to discuss most bank savings account interest rates we could use femtoPence

Acacia, As much as that? Laughing
ski holidays
miranda wrote:
abc, I think snowball, is referring to the fact that the old British billion was 1,000,000,000,000 as opposed the US 1,000,000,000, the British trillion was 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 and so on. The US trillion is the old British billion.

Sorry for not realizing that! Embarassed

So what's British for 1,000,000,000?
snow conditions
Quote:
So what's British for 1,000,000,000?

Move to Non Dom Status.
snow conditions
Maths is very applicable to skiing. At least, last week I had to strain my grey cells after a report from the news paper, the Münchner Merkur (http://www.merkur-online.de/lokales/landkreis-garmisch-partenkirchen/skifahrer-tunnel-zugspitze-1095268.html), in the German ski forum (http://alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1652&start=1600) claimed that a new development on the Zugspitze would see a tunnel with a length of 795 metres and a drop of 500 metres linking the Zugspitze to the Ehrwald ski area. By my calculations ...

Quote:
Interessant. Aber ist meine Mathe falsch oder die der Merkur?

Bei einer Tunnellänge von 795m und 8,5% Gefälle rechne ich mit einem Höhenunterschied von knapp 70m. Bei einem Höhenunterschied von 500m in 795m Tunnellänge rechne ich eine Gefälle von ca. 80% (ca. 39°) - wäre eine rasante Abfahrt! Shock

... that meant a gradient of 39° in the tunnel - would be an interesting piste!!

And now you can try out your maths and your German Laughing
snow report
jzBun, Laughing so true...

abc, we used to call that a thousand million. As snowball, points out we have very recently adopted the US standard and started calling it a billion but before the logic was that biliion was a million x a million, trillion was a million x a million x a million and so on... which made sense. So now the old British billion (1,000,000,000,000) is being called a trillion in line with US standards.
latest report
miranda wrote:
... we have very recently adopted the US standard and started calling it a billion...

It's not that recent, the UK government's been using the 'US billion' since the mid seventies. £ billion is a very useful size of unit for measuring the UK economy.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sloop, I think some people have different perspectives of how recent the mid seventies are wink
ski holidays
miranda wrote:
abc, we used to call that a thousand million. As snowball, points out we have very recently adopted the US standard and started calling it a billion but before the logic was that biliion was a million x a million, trillion was a million x a million x a million and so on... which made sense. So now the old British billion (1,000,000,000,000) is being called a trillion in line with US standards.

Thanks for the explanation.

While I repsect the tradition in British unit, as a former scientist, the lack of thousand x million and thousand x billion is a bit disconcerting. In science (and engineering?), most units are by thousands. So you have the Mega and Giga and Tera etc. The missing units does feel like a pretty big hole.
snow conditions
sloop wrote:
miranda wrote:
... we have very recently adopted the US standard and started calling it a billion...

It's not that recent, the UK government's been using the 'US billion' since the mid seventies. £ billion is a very useful size of unit for measuring the UK economy.

My 1990 Concise Oxford Dictionary still defines a Billion as a million million and the US Billion as 1,000,000,000 - though does say that the million million version is "now less used"

My point was about the logic of the words - I agree the word for I0 to the power 9 is useful (except on TV where you can often not hear for sure which was said).
latest report
When we heard about trillions being lost by bankers in recent years I tried to put it in perspective. If you owe one million pounds and pay it off at a rate of 1 pound per second it would take you 11.57 days. If it is a billion pounds you would take over 31 years, and a trillion pounds would take over 31,000 years at the same rate. We could be in trouble for a long time yet!
latest report
snowball, I wasn't even born in the mid seventies and I was still taught as a child that there was a difference between a UK billion and a US billion. I think you're right about the logic of the words.

welshskier, just don't.... Skullie
snow report
You ought to work in my industry, I was first a scientist, where we have parts per million (ppm) and parts per billion (ppb), then I go and for the oil industry where we have parts per million (ppm) and pounds per barrel (ppb!!), and where oil and gas gallons and barrels are usually not UK gallons and barrels, but are usually USA gallons and barrels. Def. a case of confused? I will be!
snow conditions
I'm remembering the time the US Mars lander crashed because some people were using metres and others feet.
snow report
And don't confuse kilos and pounds:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy