Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Early/mid Jan snow in Europe...

Poster: A snowHead
Having checked back on the SCGB website for last year it seems that the snow for mid Jan wasn't particularly good at most European places. Was last year a particularly bad year for snow, or am I to expect 60 upper/40 lower type figures for mid Jan? I know a couple of places were better but a lot that I checked were like this.

Any help gratefully received!

Hannah

P.S. I'm saving my money for skiing so don't want to join the SCGB to see the previous years' snowfall!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From this website http://uk.weather.com/activities/recreation/ski/ the figures below are the average of the last 3 seasons for the second week of January.

Hope it helps.

France
Alpe d'Huez 46 cm 164 cm
Avoriaz 61 cm 161 cm
Chamonix Mont-Blanc 23 cm 114 cm
Chamrousse 35 cm 81 cm
Chatel 25 cm 123 cm
Courchevel 39 cm 107 cm
Flaine 45 cm 221 cm
La Clusaz 19 cm 173 cm
La Mongie 35 cm 97 cm
La Plagne 39 cm 147 cm
Le Grand-Bornand 52 cm 99 cm
Les 2 Alpes 26 cm 118 cm
Les Gets 24 cm 98 cm
Les Menuires 31 cm 101 cm
Megeve 30 cm 90 cm
Meribel 30 cm 108 cm
Montgenevre 77 cm 123 cm
Morzine 18 cm 157 cm
Risoul 56 cm 131 cm
Saint Gervais Mont Blanc 29 cm 86 cm
Saint Martin De Belleville 21 cm 99 cm
Samoens 50 cm 211 cm
Serre-Chevalier 45 cm 186 cm
Tignes 61 cm 155 cm
Val D'Isere 59 cm 113 cm
Val Thorens 70 cm 146 cm
Valmorel 29 cm 101 cm
Vars 48 cm 114 cm
Vaujany 13 cm 132 cm

Austria
Altenmarkt/Zauchensee 50 cm 80 cm
Bad Kleinkerchheim 25 cm 53 cm
Badgastein 31 cm 128 cm
Hintertux 38 cm 100 cm
Innsbruck-Igls 21 cm 59 cm
Ischgl 18 cm 128 cm
Kaunertal 76 cm 193 cm
Kitzbuhel 22 cm 81 cm
Lech-Zurs 62 cm 151 cm
Mayrhofen/Ziller V 15 cm 98 cm
Neustift/Stubaital 21 cm 69 cm
Obertauern 72 cm 130 cm
Pitztal 43 cm 203 cm
Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Leogang 32 cm 93 cm
Schladming 38 cm 75 cm
Seefeld Tirol 30 cm 81 cm
Solden/ Otz Valley 10 cm 63 cm
St Anton am Arlberg 42 cm 224 cm
St Johann 31 cm 69 cm
Zell am See/Kaprun 63 cm 168 cm

Switzerland
Adelboden/Lenk 19 cm 76 cm
Andermatt 42 cm 360 cm
Arosa 62 cm 112 cm
Champery 24 cm 82 cm
Crans-Montana 25 cm 112 cm
Davos 32 cm 144 cm
Engadin/St. Moritz 56 cm 181 cm
Engelberg - Titlis - Lochpass 19 cm 112 cm
Flims-Laax-Falera 27 cm 130 cm
Grachen 41 cm 112 cm
Grimentz/Anniviers 34 cm 113 cm
Grindelwald 59 cm 120 cm
Gstaad 8 cm 126 cm
Klosters Gotschune-Parsenn Madrisa 27 cm 142 cm
Lenk-La-Lenk 16 cm 65 cm
Lenzerheide/Valbella 36 cm 163 cm
Les Diablerets 18 cm 123 cm
Leysin 20 cm 90 cm
Meiringen/Hasliberg 30 cm 97 cm
Murren/Schilthorn 40 cm 175 cm
Pontresina/Engadin 60 cm 181 cm
Saas-Fee 54 cm 204 cm
Samnaun 41 cm 101 cm
Verbier/Val de Bagnes 41 cm 96 cm
Villars 24 cm 81 cm
Wengen 22 cm 97 cm
Zermatt 34 cm 160 cm
Zinal/Anniviers 38 cm 115 cm
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you EVER so much Ray!

By the way, whereabouts in Hampshire are you? I'm near St Mary Bourne.

Hannah
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hannah, I think Austria was pretty good last year for early snow. We were in Bad Hofgastein over New Year & the snow was great and I think it just got better throughout the season.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ray Zorro, good effort. That site's so potentially useful maybe a Mod could make this a sticky in snow reports for future reference.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hannah, you're very welcome.

I'm in Hartley Wintney.

Ray
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 18-08-06 12:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hannah,

Although most places will have good snow mid January most years, you can get the occasional bad year, if it is widespread there is not much you can do about it. The usual recommendation is to go high where snow is usually better though not always. Personally at that time of the year when accomodation is easy to find I prefer to wait till nearer the time and go where the snow is good.

The only drawbacks are that some people like to know well in advance where they are going. And if you don't live near London it is often difficult to get late deals on flights at a reasonable price so I usually book the flight well in advance which means that you are restricted somewhat in where to go. Flying to Geneva is not much use if Austria has recieved all the early seaon snow. Usually you can somewhere reasonable within striking distance of Zurich or Geneva though.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks everyone for all your help.

What do they class as lower slopes? Is it the learning slopes, or it is classed as up to halfway up the mountain??

Hannah
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hannah,

The lower slopes are those at the bottom of the mountain. Beginner slopes are often situated there. But treat snow depths with a little caution. The terrain the depth is on is important and they often seem to measure the depth snow in a highly dubious manner the depth is often the same for days on end during a thaw.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks T-Bar!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hannah, It also depends where you go....the grassy slopes of Austria only need a thin layer to be skiable, the rocky slopes of the Alps need much more!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

The usual recommendation is to go high where snow is usually better though not always

A good rule of thumb although in January the very high resorts could be very cold. I don't know whether the same applied at other resorts last season but where we are the lower slopes (which were sheltered by trees) were better most of the season because there'd been a lot of high wind which had blown the snow off a lot of the upper slopes.

In an average year, and last year was well below average, any European ski resort worthy of the name will have good snow at that time of year.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good site and 10 day forcasts too.

Historical data by . . guess who?

Alpe d'Huez 46 cm 164 cm
Les 2 Alpes 26 cm 118 cm

Just across a valley can make a huge difference
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Likewise look at the difference between Wengen and Murren, that said the Bernese Oberland like Austria can cope with lower snow depths because much of the time you are skiing on pasture land
ski holidays
D G Orf, im shocked Wengen had so much.. Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy