Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who killed Ski Rossendale and is it about to return from the grave?

Poster: A snowHead
okay - i have to declare an interest in this subject, but after reading this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=77465&highlight= in apres zone (can it be moved to 'the piste' admin?) my blood is now boiling Mad
Have a read and see what you think. IMHO i think the sports of skiing and snowboarding have been well and truly shafted in this case Skullie grrrr

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 1-07-11 15:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
do we really need three threads on this Puzzled
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rayscoops, One in the piste would be more beneficial than the other two I guess. Very Happy wink

Sunbuel, to an outsider who knows nothing of the place and only from what has been presented on snowHeads, it appears to be to be a victim of local politics and the allocation of expenditure reductions.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
boredsurfin, the figures seem to have been presented in a way to justify a certain resolution that relates to closing the ski slope, but the same thing happens to keep loss making facilities look more profitable too. It is the way of business ... and politics

... but ... if the site has wider and more finacially beneficial potential uses then perhpas one should consider the wider audience than those that occupy the 'ski bubble/vacuum' in which we, as snow sports enthusiast, tend to frequent.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rayscoops, It seemed cost/debts from elswhere in the 'company' were dumped into the 'ski outlet' perhaps in the knowledge that it was closing or would close. As you say not uncommon.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
boredsurfin, simple normal management and accounting practice imho.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boredsurfin wrote:
rayscoops, One in the piste would be more beneficial than the other two I guess. Very Happy wink

Sunbuel, to an outsider who knows nothing of the place and only from what has been presented on snowHeads, it appears to be to be a victim of local politics and the allocation of expenditure reductions.

Correct, I am relatively local and IMO Ski Rossendale has suffered from lack of investment for years, even more so after Chill Factore opened.

I have only been a couple of times in recent years, once when it was snow covered and the other time was in the middle of summer. The Dendix was in such a poor state and worn down to the metal in places. Compare this to privately run Pendle Ski Club (less than 30 minutes away), which I was only looking at the other day when walking the dogs, it is in excellent condition and I could see that maintenance work by volunteer members was in progress during the summer shutdown.

The fact is and sorry to be so brutal, the local council simply did not (does not) have the money to pour into, which is after all a niche sport facility. They have even closed a local petting zoo. How could they have kept Rossendale open and invested the money needed, when they do not even have the money to keep a petting zoo open.

Sunbuel, I wish you all the best in your efforts to get this place up and running again. I remember back in the late 70's when Ski Ross was an excellent facility and well used. We used to have school race meets there and the local Fearns high school always thrashed everyone else.

So in answer to your question, local economics and circumstances killed Ski Rossendale, simple as that.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You can't really tell anything from the financial summary presented other than there wasn't a whole lot of gross margin and that there was then a significant overhead allocation that pushed them very much into the red. There only appears to be hearsay about whether the allocation of overheads (or indeed direct operating costs) was entirely fair, but in a period where a business has been wound up you'd generally expect losses to be bigger than in an ordinary operating period due to redundancy, mothballing costs, tail off in customers.

I went a couple of times as a youngster and accordingly have fond memories but I can completely see why a niche facility such as this wouldn't be on a local council's priority list. Arguably this is the type of facility that should be run privately or as a not for profit if at all but with land costs being what they are its hard to see it being more viable than flogging it to a developer.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

The fact is and sorry to be so brutal, the local council simply did not (does not) have the money to pour into, which is after all a niche sport facility. They have even closed a local petting zoo. How could they have kept Rossendale open and invested the money needed, when they do not even have the money to keep a petting zoo open.

Kel, i dont disagree with anything you say, but the bit that so infuriated me was hearing the council / leisure trust is investing 5.6 million in a new swimming pool and some mtb tracks

I hear everything that snowheads have had to say on the ski ross topic and more - its all very useful feedback and i would not dismiss any of it. What is clear is that if a group of enthusiasts wanted to make a go of the ski rossendale facility they would have to have some very clear rules. Keep the overheads / operating costs as low as possible. Concentrate on the bits that make some real cash - lessons, parties etc. If possible offer something different and affordable, perhaps even make ski/board accessible to socio economic C2 to E Toofy Grin perish the thought wink ..............now theres a thing........hmmmm

rayscoops You never know one or two of the very wealthy A group skiers may decide to help support a certain social enterprise wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
fatbob wrote:
but with land costs being what they are its hard to see it being more viable than flogging it to a developer.

And if planning permission for housing was ever granted on this site it would be worth a fortune. It is ripe for development. Good area excellent views over Rossendale valley and access to the M66, Manchester city centre 25 minutes away.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would hope that the recreational planning status of the site would be maintained
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rayscoops wrote:
I would hope that the recreational planning status of the site would be maintained

Agreed, but will it. Times are hard and I would imagine that the site would raise well in excess of £10m if sold as building land, the site is huge.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kel, so the death, natural causes or poisoned? theres a big inheritance wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kel, if the area is zoned for recreational use (which it probably is) then that is all it can be used for unless the landowner formally applies for a change of use in the next consideration of the overall 'development plan' for the area/council boundary; such reviews tend to be every 15 years or so and follow a couple of years consultation and re-zoning of recreational to housing is quite rare.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sunnbuel,

I would say natural causes, but nothing has been done to prevent the death, which in turn may benefit the local council coffers in a few years.

rayscoops,

Yes, I presume the land is council owned, I am sure sunnbuel,could confirm who the land-owner is. So if the council want to change the use of the land and lets face it, they need to find £5m for the new pool and MTB tracks, then that is what will probably eventually happen.

Anyone familiar with the site will know that it is in a highly desirable residential location. If the site is left and ends up being rundown and vandalised, is there going to be much in the way of objections when the council apply for change of use. To be honest I will be amazed if it does not have 150 or so "Executive Town Houses" built on it eventually. Hope I am wrong and I hope the facility is somehow rescued.
ski holidays
Kel, I would have thought that the site was too steep to build many houses on.
snow report
Kel, councils do tend to round off boundaries or infill such sites where it seems the natural thing to do, to safe guard a bigger area and make a more defined boundary, so maybe eventually this site will go that way
snow report
If you let politicians run a business it will always end in tears.
ski holidays
sunnbuel wrote:
Kel, so the death, natural causes or poisoned? theres a big inheritance wink

Gross negligence manskislopeslaughter? wink
snow report
I learnt to ski and used to regularly visit Ski Rossendale, so I have a lot of fond memories. However, these are tempered by the less fond memories of breaking my arm there on one occasion, and breaking my thumb twice. I used to often see ambulances turning up in the car park when I went every week.

The place was dangerous, and only sustainable when there was no off-season alternative. The Chill Factore has come along, offering a much more realistic (and safe!) skiing experience, in a more favourable location for most people in the North-West. Okay it is a touch on the expensive side, but there's a limit to how many times you'll want to ski any small artificial/indoor runs.

Notwithstanding any mismanagement by the council, Ski Rossendale has had its day and deserves to rest in peace.
latest report
Quote:

The place was dangerous

cant agree with that one as any slope has its fair share of injuries, my son broke his arm at chill but thats skiing for you Laughing

Quote:

Notwithstanding any mismanagement by the council, Ski Rossendale has had its day and deserves to rest in peace

in its former guise i think you are correct, hopefully it can still serve a purpose and a specific market, we will have to see wink
ski holidays
Pendle Ski club and Chill factore both less than 30 mins. Ross ski slope 8 min walk. Confused
snow report
Kel, +1 with your comments, I live 1/2 hour away, have driven past it many times over the years and have always thought, "why would you?". I learnt to ski on a dendix Army ski slope in Aldershot 25 years ago, and it was OK but theres not many easier ways to get a slow speed Bennetts thumb fracture, and like Harrogate near where I live unfortunately Rossendale is destined to extinction, a great thing 30-35 years ago but times change, new things like Castleford, then Chill Factore come along and unfortunately take their market. The local Council int th'ills is also not the most affluent so its a combination of 2 factors IMO. Sad to see it go, but life goes on.............on a similar matter, does Sheffield Ski Village make any money, does anyone ever go on it, I call now and again to Snow & Rock but have yet to see any skiers/ boarders on it, summer or winter? This is also struggling for investment (big plans went by the wayside 5-6 years ago when developer pulled out), is this at risk too?
snow report
Markymark29, gamekeepers is the more usual dendix injury. As to 'why would you?' well the slope turned over 500k last year, pity most of it went on 'overheads+staffing' Puzzled
I think a well run dry slope can serve a purpose and keep its head above water. Agree with Kel that it needs to operate along the lines of the likes of Pendle. There are still lots of folk who are happy to learn on a dry slope as opposed to travelling to a fridge. Club racing is also alive and well on dry slopes. I know plenty of skiers/boarders who look at a fridge and say 'why would you?'. I actually enjoy the occasional slide at Chill but much prefer to be outdoors even if its on plastic.
In the same way it seems that many Uk skiers look at Ski Scotland and think 'why would you?', i will leave it to winterhighland, haggistrap et al to tell you all why Laughing

I would like to see a mix of facilities survive. Cheap and cheerful sessions available locally on plastic for kids, disabled groups, schools and so on to set them on their way. Understandably pricier, but still good value, sessions at indoor facilities such as Chill and Castleford for those that can afford it and can travel, ski Scotland, yad moss etc, then if anyone can still afford it head off abroad Laughing

Now this stuff looks interesting http://www.neveplast.com/eng/np30.html Toofy Grin
latest report
sunnbuel,
Quote:

I think a well run dry slope can serve a purpose and keep its head above water.

Hear, Hear.

Any doubters about the future of dry slope skiing need only look at Norfolk Snowsports Club. Our slope is so well used that different disciplines (Junior, Race, Wanabee race, Masters, Freestyle, Ladies Club, Snowboarding, Beginners, Instructor Training, Adaptive, etc) fight over slope time. It allows participants of all ages and backgrounds access to skiing - you do not need to be well off to become a good skier by using a dry slope.
ski holidays
Slightly off track, but their used to be many a bargain to be had at the Ellis Brigham clearance shop which used to be at Rossendale (closed long before the slope). They no longer have an official clearance dept, but all the bargains now seem to be at Castlefield store. Last time I went a couple of months ago they had loads of stuff all 50% off and not tat either. Just thought I would share it with you.

RobinS, Agree, Pendle Ski Club is a private run facility about 1/2 an hour away from Rossendale and as sunnbuel, has stated above if Rossendale has a future it will need to be run on the lines of Pendle. The problem is and please let's be realistic is the current state of the slope at Rossendale, if it ever is going to re-open it will require a good deal of money investing to get it to the standard of Pendle.
snow report
RobinS, But Norfolk is in the middle of nowhere, whereas Rossendale is close to Manchester and the indoor real snow slope known as the Chill Factore. It doesn't matter how good a dry slope there is at Rossendale, the fact is that it is inferior to the real snow experience offered by the "fridge". The customers using Rossendale have diminished hugely over recent years, and it makes no sense from any economic perspective. Adding fuel to the funeral pyre, the local council have ruined the roads into Rawtenstall with new ridiculously low speed limits, further deterring visitors.
snow report
Benzknees wrote:
RobinS, But Norfolk is in the middle of nowhere,.

Have you ever been to Pendle snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Benzknees wrote:
[Adding fuel to the funeral pyre, the local council have ruined the roads into Rawtenstall with new ridiculously low speed limits, further deterring visitors.
Puzzled which roads are they,and I doubt the road system has anything to do with the down fall.Chill factor is really the main killer and a crap council coming a close second.When Castleford opened its doors that must of made a difference myself and a few other people went fairly often as skiing on snow is a better experience than plastic and the catchment area is pretty much all the north as it was the first one to open but once Chill factor opened thats has taken everyone else they knew what they were doing in opening it and they knew that it would close ski ross.
snow report
Benzknees, not sure i can agree with you on the roads. Ski Rossendale is very easily accessible with the motorway network within 10 minutes of the slope. Lets face it the west m60 around manchester isnt exactly rapid, i often average 30mph from prestwich to the trafford centre Sad

i think most of us agree that if you can afford it, a fridge on a good day is more authentic than any dry slope. Yet there are several dry slopes that seem to have got it right. Norfolk and Pendle to name two. They must be offering a combination of ingredients that keep people coming. The key question for Ski Rossendale is what are those ingredients?
We also know that despite its huge finance, chill factore is not drawing in the numbers it needs to. At the moment thats great for those of us that use it because we have never had skiing/boarding so cheap. Current offers like parents go free and a months unlimited pass for a member at 35 quid are pretty good. But any business that discounts to that degree is either having a bad time or is experimenting with pricing models. Of course the crunch time will be next season if they cant get those prices back up.....?

If Ski Rossendale does get it right along the lines of Pendle and Norfolk i know many people will be delighted to have a choice of indoor and outdoor venues. Especially one that has a langlauf course in beautiful rolling hills...oops.. Embarassed
latest report
sunnbuel, think your right on the chill factors problems they are totally empty in the week after 7/8 I have been when there has been 6 people on Shocked Toofy Grin but that aint a problem for me I just wish they would speed the lifts up.
latest report
meandrew wrote:
sunnbuel, think your right on the chill factors problems they are totally empty in the week after 7/8 I have been when there has been 6 people on Shocked Toofy Grin but that aint a problem for me I just wish they would speed the lifts up.

Yes seen that myself, I don't know what the business plan was for UK fridges, but I doubt very much they factored in the leccy bill doubling with even more to come. They must cost an absolute fortune to run.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy