Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sunspots Going Into Hibernation - Mini Ice Age Looms!

Poster: A snowHead
Just spotted this on Winterhighland....Snow lying all year round at low elevations? Can't wait! Always nice to have something to look forward to! Toofy Grin http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/06/14/ice_age/
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yeh love all the talk about the next mini ice age

think the daily mail tounge in cheek article says it all Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2004463/Cooler-Earth-The-Ice-Age-coming--dont-panic.html
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
Alternative energy companies will be given billions of pounds in grants to dismantle wind turbines. These will be smelted down and converted into giant mirrors designed to reflect the sun’s rays in an attempt to reopen the hole in the ozone layer.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2004463/Cooler-Earth-The-Ice-Age-coming--dont-panic.html#ixzz1PrNt0JRo

LOL!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well, that article would be funny if it managed not to expose his lack of understanding of the basics. Ozone depletion by the sun's rays?! surely he means to lift the ban on CFCs instead? And actually it would be great if "by 2025, every home in Britain will be heated by a wood-burning stove" wood being (broadly) carbon neutral.
Mutter, mutter, mutter... wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
wigan, have considered this as an option when our existing gas boiler needs replacing, but not sure we would have the room for it.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hells Bells, yeah, if you are wanting to run a whole central heating system off one it will take up some space (and storage space for fuel/pellets), but there are plenty of very good small individual room stoves nowadays. I'll send you some info via FB.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
wigan, cheers, although we don't have a chimney in the house at the moment (last owners removed it to make the lounge larger rolling eyes)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well, from the point of view of a skier the collapse of civilisation brought on by a new ice age would be a small price to pay if Yad Moss could have guaranteed snow for 4 months a year.

Strangely we were discussing whether the word 'maunder' was a proper word yeserday at work, and then it reappears today as the 'Maunder Minimum'.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

would be great if "by 2025, every home in Britain will be heated by a wood-burning stove"

smog-tastic! should be some ace peasoupers again. not had one of those for years!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
andy, I though that coal was more to blame for them? At least wood smoke smells nice Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hells Bells, we were thinking the same thing really miss our open fire, these guys http://www.woodburningstoveslimited.com/index.php?action=cms.details&itemid=313

will supply new system but phew not cheap, and we have a 3 storey house with high ceilings Sad but hey come the ice age I might sell some more gear Laughing Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snow sports enthusiasts may be the only demographic who heartily welcome an ice age.

Blatantly ignoring the issues we will face if this comes to pass and thinking only of the increased skiing opportunities, I say bring it on!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Zero-G wrote:
Snow sports enthusiasts may be the only demographic who heartily welcome an ice age.

Blatantly ignoring the issues we will face if this comes to pass and thinking only of the increased skiing opportunities, I say bring it on!

Well I do foresee one small downside. The collapse of civisation will mean long distance travel will be impossible, so all skiing will be local. I think there might be a few good (if short) lines on Ivinghoe Beacon, I could get there in an hour or so on horseback once the petrol runs out.

Anyone know how long glaciers take to form?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Horseback? I think you should be aiming for a sled with a team of huskies, more fitting for an ice age Cool

I live right next to one of London's hills, so it will be a one-minute tramp up the road to get to the bottom of the hill. May have to diversify into park skiing to add some interest to the short runs.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In the unlikely event of this ever coming to anything, what impact would another "Little Ice Age" such as Britain experienced in the 17th Century actually have on "Civilisation as we know it"?
snow conditions
RobinS, London Underground will grind to a halt and there will be a nationwide salt and grit shortage. That's about it.
snow report
Quote:

In the unlikely event of this ever coming to anything, what impact would another "Little Ice Age" such as Britain experienced in the 17th Century actually have on "Civilisation as we know it"?

It depends Puzzled if it lasts for 20 years or 80 years Shocked I am sure there will be lots of new tax to pay though

Spud9, A quick look up in the Oxford English Dict. says that "maunder" was a word for "beg" back in the 17th c so perhaps its quite apt!
snow report
RobinS wrote:

We'll all get a bit thinner Skullie
snow report
Perhaps they'll start putting snow tyres on airplanes so that air traffic doesn't stop due to snow on the runways.
ski holidays
RobinS wrote:

I suspect the impact on the UK would be fairly minimal. After all during the Little Ice Age we managed to progress from a basically medieval economy to the height of the Industrial Revolution.

The English wine industry would probably fail.

Now may be a good time to start negotiations with Boris Johnson to acquire the Thames frost fair franchise Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Zero-G wrote:

You are obviously forgetting ice climbers living in north Wales tsk tsk tsk rolling eyes
latest report
Quote:

The English wine industry would probably fail.

We have a successful wine industry Puzzled
latest report
Ski touring in the lake district, sweet.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy