Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Other Half Wants To Come Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Shocked Shocked Shocked Well, after a few years of having it so good on the slopes, the OH wants to come this year. She has skied before but her knee usually gives her grief so out of 6 days on the slopes, she will do 3 at most. I told her she can come, only if she goes to see someone regarding her knee, so she went rolling eyes . What i need is someone to recommend me a resort which ticks the following boxes.

*Large ski area for me (usually go to avoriaz so used to the PDS)
*Great ski school for OH
*Easy learning slopes for her
*Stuff to do off the slopes for her as she wont ski every day
*Cheapish, now 2 of us will be going Toofy Grin
*Not Italy
*Resort charm if possible
*High altitude slopes (will stay lower as long as access to high slopes)
*Would possibly go to USA or Canada if right resort/deal popped up

We would be going in February or March, but not in School holidays is i simply dont do queing!!!

Cheers snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Rick,

Les Coches where we're based seems to tick all of the boxes.

It's a small village with plenty of charm, but it's located in the heart of the Paradiski area giving you 425km of pistes across La Plagne and Les Arcs, including 2 glaciers and penty of skiing above 2000m . Evolution 2, which is a great ski school both for groups and privates, operate from the village and there are two beginners slopes plus a good selection of blues throughout the resort.

Les Coches village it'self is small but pretty with a few shops, restaurants and bars. For non-skiiers there is plenty to do including ice skating, walking, sledging and snow shoeing if her knee is up to it. If not there is quad biking, skidoo driving, parapente and the world famous bobsleigh in La Plagne. Alternatively for a gentler experience, there is a cinema in nearby Montchavin, and a new swimming pool due to open next year plus things like massage, hot stone therepy etc available in you chalet or apt.

If you're looking at catered then please take a look at our chalet in the tag line. Alternatively for self catered Maeva offer a good selection of apts http://www.maeva.com/fr-fr/appartement-coches-sauget_CCL-H_fp.

Hope that helps - Happy planning!
Heather
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snow and Sunshine, Thanks for that. Always wanted to ski La Plagne/Les Arcs. Prices seem reasonable as well and the chalet looks lovely, plus a free bar Toofy Grin . The village sounds ideal really with stuff for her to do if she chooses not to ski. Also the resort charm with access to the larger slopes looks great. Thanks for the quick info and i will certainly bare your chalet in mind when we book after the summer.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Here is a case worthy of considering.

Instead of leaving the OH with a ski school I accompanied mine all the time when she learn skiing. It was frustrating initially as I have to slow down and wait most of the time. I never force her to go faster than she is comfortable with so both of us haven't suffer injury.

The pay back is now she can go with me anywhere I go, on any run, in any resort and to any country. I have found the best way to enjoy skiing is not by myself alone but but with the someone dearest to me all too. We can choose wherever we wish to go in each trip usually lasting two to three weeks.

We now have a problem of running out new large resorts to choose from, say anything with about 150km piste. This coming season we may have to make do with Gstaad, Saas Fee, Monterosa and Pila.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ricklovesthepowder, St Gervais would be an option; lovely village (small town), stunning scenery (Mont Blanc .....), big ski area with lots of variety for you. We haven't used the ski school so can't comment, but there does seem to be a choice of ski schools. If your OH didn't want to ski every day, there is also an excellent spa (town is also known as St Gervais Les Bains) for some pampering. Nice shops and restaurants, plus some decent and friendly bars. It's only an hour from GVA too, and a very easy drive/short transfer.

There are some good s/c apartments both at the bottom of the main gondola and about 10 minutes walk away - well-priced and nicely equipped. Not sure who runs the lift-base ones, but the others are La Grange who are a French company but have a UK office and booking is very easy.

PM me if you need any more Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
saikee wrote:
The pay back is now she can go with me anywhere I go

huh?

Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Saalbach, although not high altitude you don't need to be high in Austria like you do in France. Plenty of great ski schools (biased nudge to Fuerstauer). It's one of the best places I've seen for beginners, the whole Kohlmais mountain is covered with cruisy blues, and usually sunny.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
barry,

I know everybody has his own preference and it might be situations one prefer the absence of the OH.

I do come across stunning scenery and fantasic terrain which I want to share with my OH. May be I miss a lot in life by having my OH with me but I won't be a happy guy without knowing my OH is happy too. In fact I would say my OH and my children happiness are more important than my own.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ricklovesthepowder, tell her it's the La Grave year in 2012.....might buy you another year..... wink Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ricklovesthepowder, in all seriousness, have you looked at Serre Chevalier? Although the villages are lowish (1200m - 1500m depending on which end of the valley you chose), I've not experienced such poor coverage that skiing down wasn't possible, especially at that time of year. Plenty of things to do in the valley, especially Briancon. Some fairly traditional villages. Good mix of ski schools.

In fact, ticks pretty much most of your requirements plus there are areas that provide different challenges, but allow you to ski in the same area/direction.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
What i need is someone to recommend me a resort which ticks the following boxes.

*Large ski area for me (usually go to avoriaz so used to the PDS)
*Great ski school for OH
*Easy learning slopes for her
*Stuff to do off the slopes for her as she wont ski every day
*Cheapish, now 2 of us will be going Toofy Grin
*Not Italy
*Resort charm if possible
*High altitude slopes (will stay lower as long as access to high slopes)
*Would possibly go to USA or Canada if right resort/deal popped up

A week in St Anton for you but send her to Soll to keep the price down a bit. Wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
1. Courchevel 1850;
2. Val d'Isere;
3. Zermatt;
4. Lech.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whitegold, Are they all not very expensive???
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ricklovesthepowder, They are at the higher end, is she worth it? Little Angel
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ricklovesthepowder, Val d'Isere would be a bad choice for your OH, IMO.
snow conditions
Quote:

They are at the higher end, is she worth it?

Quote:

In fact I would say my OH and my children happiness are more important than my own and my bank manager's....

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I wouldn't recommend ice skating or sledging for somebody with a bad knee. And you need to be careful snowshoeing too, especially in deep/uneven snow. Ricklovesthepowder, what was the verdict on the knee?

I'd suggest booking lessons and then not aiming to ski outside the lessons - thus making optimum use of time on the snow, resting the knee and avoiding the situation most likely to lead to knee-grief (ie over enthusiastic OH urging her on in the afternoons).

Yes, all the places whitegold suggests are expensive. rolling eyes
latest report
Go to whistler lots of shops! rolling eyes
snow conditions
Whitegold, Are they all not very expensive???

RLTP, Shop around. Negotiate. Stick it on a credit card.

No sheila wants to hang out in a scuzzy resort with smelly people.
snow report
pam w, something to do with the tendons in her knee I think she said. Also got to build up
Some strength in it so she swill soon be starting on he exercise bike, should help her get it right. Think I would book her in ski school for 3 days in the mornings, then for the remaining ski days she can ski with me. What resorts fit my criteria in Switzerland?
latest report
Ricklovesthepowder,
Quote:

What resorts fit my criteria in Switzerland?

The Swiss franc has gone ballistic, doubt anywhere will fit the cheapish bit. Crying or Very sad

Ignore Whitegold, he has a self esteem problem and needs to boost it by going to places perceived as fashionable and expensive. rolling eyes

Matter of interest why not Italy?

Serre Che is not a bad shout.
snow report
Ellmau would be a good choice. Fine beginners' slopes and all the Ski Welt + Kitzbühel and beyond for more skiing. Possibilities of days out to Kitz or, further off, Salzburg, for example.
latest report
Hi Ricklovesthepowder,

You mentioned *Large ski area for me (usually go to avoriaz so used to the PDS)
Why not stick with that area and go to Morzine or Les Gets where there is more to do for non skiers?
latest report
Come to Morz - i'll take her shopping!
latest report
Out of the 8 weeks in snow 5 have been at the PDS. I have been to most of it, if not all and fancy somewhere a little different.
T Bar, Neither of us fancy Italy, really not keen of the place, plus we love France and Switzerland. Never been to Audtria so would give that a go. I'm kind of edging to wards the idea of 2 trips. One somewhere cheap where Anna can get on slope skiing in, and for me to have a ski around. Then another trip for me with people who can ski, possiy tagging along to a trip on Snowheads somewhere.
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder,

Serfaus, Austria probably caters for the widest band of skiers right from toddlers on skis for the first time to people who like to ski steep piste and offpiste runs.
It's not cheap though ....

http://www.ski-austria.com/serfaus/index.php

http://www.serfaus-fiss-ladis.at/en/winter/

http://www.bergfex.at/serfaus-fiss-ladis/panorama/
snow conditions
Neither of us fancy Italy, really not keen of the place, plus we love France and Switzerland

Fair enough, too bad you're missing the chance of going to the Dolomites, ticks most or all of your boxes.

I'm kind of edging to wards the idea of 2 trips. One somewhere cheap where Anna can get on slope skiing in, and for me to have a ski around. Then another trip for me with people who can ski, possiy tagging along to a trip on Snowheads somewhere.

OK, you're starting to get the hang of this addiction thing.
ski holidays
I think Serre Che was a good call
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I found Alpe d'Huez great for giving Mrs WS confidence. Graduated easy slopes accessed via a gondola (she hates chairs), challenging skiing for you and a lot to do in the town (pool, gym etc.). Also relatively high.
snow conditions
Two suggestions...

Courchevel 1850 but stay in La Tania...she can then ski over to Courcheval and hang out there, or if she doesn't want to ski that day can bus to La Praz our Courchevel.

OR, have you thought of Austria? If you go outside of peak I reckon you'd find a decent hotel with a sauna/pool etc to keep her happy in between skiing. Reckon with some packages you'd be at about 2000 Euro inc half board and lift passes, then just need to get there Wink

What's your budget?

and a third suggestion, is take her to Andorra, good ski school, cheap prices, and probably enough for you for a week......

Cheers,

Greg
snow report
kitenski, hi. I normally book all my ski trips last minute to get them cheap, never booked more than 1 month in advance so as far as costing goes not really sure. The Andorra option is a good one, but i thought that Andorra is now the same prices as france etc? If i go on 2 trips then i dont want to spend loads per person on the first trip. The La Tania option is a good idea with links to the 3 valleys. Can you buy a lift pass for say 1 valley, rather than the whole 3 valleys as that would cut the cost down for her, especially if we have ski school to fund also. I would get the whole pass so i could go off and explore etc.
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder, you can buy a Courchevel Valley pass in La Tania, and that covers all local lifts plus Courchevel. Even as very experienced skiers (albeit not ones who need to cover huge mileage) we find the 'local' pass enough for a week. We do also have the slight 'restriction' of skiing with our children, who are not that experienced and so a full 3V pass would be a bit of waste
latest report
Anniepen, Cheers, i would get here a courchevel pass and i would get the whole 3V pass. Would ski school stay within the limit sof the local pass?
latest report
Ricklovesthepowder, same as Anniepen, even after numerous trips we have only ever bought the Courchevel lift pass. Some of the furthest off piste excursions take a half day.....not much need for the full pass IMHO....I I*Think* you can buy a one day extension if needed....
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder : for the stuff to do when she isnt skiing - get her to hire snowshoes (racqettes) , easy on the knees, most resorts have good trails, and organised groups going out. It's amazing where you can get to on a day's hike. Even a mad bad offpiste powder hound like me enjoys a day off in the wilds and nature.

You might even snowshoe with her yourself for a day, a romp in the woods could earn a lot of brownie points ho ho Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Ditto to Serre Chez!!!! Ski area goes up quite high so dont worry too much about the low villages. There are lots of things you can do here and Briancon is a great little town with quirky cobbled streets and luvverly restaurants!
ski holidays
I would try St Anton

Plenty of great skiing and off piste for you and a great ski school for OH

When not skiing there is great apres ski (or even apres no ski), the wellness centre is fantastic to pamper yourself and you can do sledging and horse drawn sleigh rides

The village is beautiful and big enough to have some decent shops bars and restaurants but small enough to walk everywhere

Lech and Zurs are on the same lift pass

Try www.Alpen-Lodge.at for a self catering apartment right in the centre of town or www.hotel-garni-rauch.at for a bed and breakfast
ski holidays
TBU, Always fancied St Anton myself, one of those places i have always wanted to go along with Zermatt, St Moritz, Ischgl, 3 Valleys. I think i have a lot of planning to do, she even said last night that she isn't bothered about skiing Shocked , as long as she has some books etc and some shops and things to do she will be fine. This would be ideal as i could ski all day and Anna could do her own thing, possibly even meet up for lunch etc a few times. If this was the case i think self catering is a good idea then she can have lazy days and just chill in a nice apartment if she wishes to without chalet staff being there. Also we can eat out in the evenings at different places.
latest report
Quote:

as long as she has some books etc and some shops and things to do she will be fine.

that makes quite a difference to the choice of resort. It sounds as though you would be best in quite a sizeable place - with "resort charm and interest" high on the priority list. If you want a "nice apartment" that probably won't make for a very cheap combination - I do agree, though, that a nice apartment would be better for chilling and doing your own thing than a chalet or hotel (certainly it would be my choice, with a different restaurant every night - I can't stand spending a day in a hotel bedroom, and I'd want to be able to fix myself a coffee, or a snack, or grab a cold beer or wine etc etc). Somewhere like Innsbruck or Kitzbuhel might fit the bill (NOT the Three Valleys, I'd say) though you might have to sacrifice some "ski convenience".

You've ruled out Italy, otherwise somewhere like Cortina might be good - sophisticated resort (though not a place to run amuk with a credit card. I specially warmed to the shop which had some nice raincoats with mink lining on the inside - so unostentatious. wink No price tags in most of the shops, needless to say.).

Some resorts which score high on "charm" on some lists (eg. Alpbach) are undeniably pretty but there's not much of interest for a non skier. Can get a bus to Innsbruck, but better to be in Innsbruck and get bus out to a range of ski areas.

If you want this to be a successful holiday as a couple you might have to forget the idea of skiing all day......as suggested above, some other activities, such as snowshoeing (on prepared tracks which would be OK for dodgy knees) would go down well.
ski holidays
Cheers pam w, I agree with what you say about not skiing all day every day, especially if im going on another trip at some point where i will be skiing all day!!! What is Bourg St Maurice like, it it a nice place or not, ideal for a base maybe??? Does this give direct access up into Les Arc/Plagne region, how accesable is St Foy for example?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy