Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Adjustable bindings for kids - suggestions required please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am going to have an expensive winter this coming year - two kids both need new planks (about 140cm's they will just have to stop growing!!) and new boots rolling eyes

I've been thinking about the new planks - in the sales I can pick up several options on new skis for <£100 (and these aren't quite so difficult to work out what is suitable), but these are coming as bare unmounted skis. I am trying to work out what I could do the whole project for, but have no idea what to look for when it comes to bindings in terms of a 'type' to buy.

I'd like ones that come with a reasonable amount of adjustment once mounted on the skis (I like skis where the ski comes with the binding mounted on a rail system - can you get a binding to mount on bare skis like this). The kids are approaching a UK shoe size of 3-5 (the larger of their current boots has a sole length of 276mm), they have been skiing on a DIN of approx 3.5 and will obviously go a little higher than this. If I could get a rail mounted one I could centre mount them and then it wouldn't matter what boot size I bought them.

Could someone please suggest a binding for me to go and price, and has anyone any idea about what I might pay to get each set professionally mounted (assuming I couldn't get the bindings where I get the skis from, when I guess I could probably get a good deal on mounting them)?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Doesn't anyone have a name of a set of bindings that would fit the criteria for me? Sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I guess any rail mounted binding would do, but just a cheap rental binding one, so you can easily adjust as feet grow/skis get passed down. Dunno any specifics though.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum, as noone else has answered I will have a go...my son is onto his 4th pair of skis.

I have not come across a jr rail mounted binding which was not sold as integral to the ski, so if that's what you want then you might be better off looking for a ski with binding package. This will likely be cheaper than buying skis, then bindings, then paying for mounting.

IME with a normal flat mounted jr binding you can normally get enough adjustment for a couple of boot sizes, maybe even 3 sizes. That should be more than enough, if their feet grow that much then surely they will also be getting taller/heavier/better and you'd want to replace the skis for length too. Recently I've been replacing skis more than boots.

Re. mounting bindings, if you buy both ski and binding from a shop they will mount them for you for free, if you don't then a shop would probably charge approx £20 to mount them for you. You could possibly DIY Toofy Grin

Re. a binding recommendation, son has had 2 pairs of Fischer FJ4 jr bindings now, decent little binding, no issues.

Hope this is of some help to you Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A few

Atomic Evox 2.75 2.75+ rental heel 2.75++ rental heel and toe go up to 7 1/2 din
Marker M7 EPS up to 7 din

Atomic Evox 4.5 up to din 4 1/2
Marker EPS 4.5

Fischer FJ4 FJ7

Scott S6

Non rental bindings can be mounted to give at least 2cm of movement larger if done carefully.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, We have used rental bindings on all my daughters skis, and kept them for son following on. Lots of shops won't sell them, but we have purchased some new salomon 300 (?) from edge2edge near gatwick and they fitted them. See if you find ones that both toe and heel move, not just heel as then as boots get bigger they stay on the centre line. The most robust seem to have been tyrolia sp45 rentals up to 4.5 din
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum have you thought of the Roces 6-1 ski boots instead?

We are on our second set (feet grown) and the kids have loved them. That way you don't have to worry about the sole length altering.

I reckon my eldest daughter, who has the size 3-6, may never outgrow the boots.

Just a thought.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy