Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying kit.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I was just wondering if there's any financial help available for buying skiing kit? I ask because, as you are probably all too aware, buying equipment that is adapted to suit our needs is often way more expensive when compared to comparative kit for able-bodied folk rolling eyes My kayaks for example cost around £1400 Shocked as compared to a base model at £450, the difference being that the £450 boat weighs significantly more than I can carry while the £1400 one weighs around a stone!!!

I did ask the British Legion, but they won't fund adaptive equipment for leisure purposes, and I'm guessing the same is likely to be true of most charities, but I thought there might be someone on here who knows otherwise Puzzled

Thanks,

Chris
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, there can be.
My son has has some equipment purchases, support and travel costs funded through his direct payments: individual payments made in some areas to disabled adults and children. So all you can do is ask your local social services.
Some disability charities also will either supply gear or hire it at cost or free - especially for young people.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Dude,

I'll look into that, but with all the cuts going around I'll not hold my breath for social services! Do you know, would DSUK have any idea of other charities I might get help from?

Thanks,

Chris
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
the black boat, I guess there's no harm in asking DSUK... They might be able to suggest someone.
I just Googled "charity to help buy disabled sports equipment" top of the list was this one http://www.disability-grants.org/disability-sports.html
I only scanned the list quickly but it looks like there may be a few options on there.
Another idea, maybe see if there is a ski club close to you who could be encourage/persuaded to do a Skiathon or similar to raise money for you... Or do like this guy did http://www.justgiving.com/AlanCookRAB
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Sara, some great ideas! Amazing how you can miss even the simplest of things? Can't think why I didn't google it, but thanks for the idea Very Happy

Chris
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hmmm, seems I'm too old for all of those charities Shocked So much for not being discriminated against for your age rolling eyes
I like the idea of getting on to the local ski club; having contacted them recently about adaptive skiing I know they have NO provision what-so-ever, but they do have a new chief instructor so maybe he'd be amenable to some kind of fundraising events.

As for the guy cycling across Britain, this is what I'm doing next year... http://walkingthevirginlondonmarathon20.blogspot.com/

Chris
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
the black boat, Sorry Sad I didn't look very closely!
Can you get anything from Battle Back? http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/battleback.html
I would think your local council will have some kind of Disability Sports Development person. Try asking them, they might know of grants available.
Have you tried organisations like The Rotary Club? Someone like that might find your story inspiring and do some fundraising for you.

I see from your other thread that you've been in touch with Dom from Active Therapy about deciding what kind of ski woud be best. Once you know what you're looking for it would be worth looking around to see if there are any second hand. The Tessier website has a Small Ads page http://www.dualski.com/en/petites-annonces/ I'd ask Dom for advice on that though, you need to make sure you get what you need and not just what is cheap!

Dom's your man if you're looking for equipment. Feel free to ask more questions though, I teach adaptive skiing in Austria and I'm happy to help if I can.

Good luck with your walk... You crazy person! Razz
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks again Sara,

I can look at Battle Back, but had assumed (probably wrongly!) that as the British Legion were unable to help that the same would be true of other forces charities (how does the old adage go, never assume anything..?). Dom has been a big help in answering a great many of my questions, as has Holy at the Tamworth Snowdome, but you are absolutely right about buying the right kit, I know that only too well from both my time in the forces and from my subsequent uptake of kayak surfing as a sport; if you get the wrong kit the learning process can become infinitely harder, if not down-right impossible!

I hadn't thought of the local council though, and I'll certainly look into that, though I have indeed seen the Tessier small ads page, though I keep getting drawn back to this page http://www.dualski.com/en/scarver/ and the subsequent thoughts of selling a kidney to pay for it Laughing

Thanks again for your help, it's greatly appreciated!

Chris
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Right...

Battle back is run by the MoD for serving servicemen and women. Having been discharged in 1998 that's me out!!!

BUT, I did some more searching around on the Help For Heroes website and found that they DO fund some adaptive sports and leisure equipment for ex-servicemen and women like myself. I have emailed them to see if I can apply for help and will hope for a reply tomorrow, at the start of the new working week.

It is pleasing to see that there is so much help out there for young children and adults trying to find their way in adaptive sports, but not every disabled person is disabled from birth. I was discharged at the age of 25yrs old, which meant I was already to old to apply for all bar one of the charities I have found. I wish there was more readily available help for ALL people with disabilities... Sad

Chris
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy