Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lufthansa / Austrian baggage changes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Not sure if I am misreading it or it is old news for some, but it looks like the changes to baggage allowances post June 1st is favourable.

Both Lufthansa

http://www.lufthansa.com/online/portal/lh/uk/info_and_services/baggage?nodeid=3331125&l=en&cid=1000243

and Austrian

http://www.austrian.com/Info/FlightPreparation/Baggage.aspx?cc=AT&sc_lang=en#

seem to say that one can now take one bag of skis free of charge in addition to standard hold luggage.

Couple of points I could nor determine from reading the above:

1. I am not sure if the combined weight of your hold luggage + skis must still be 23kg or less

2. The item must be 140cm or less. If that is true it might be good for us skiboarders, but not for skiers. Lufthansa states one small sports bag as well as a skibag, Austrian just says skibag. A bit of confusion here.

It would be good if other scan read this and express their viewpoints as well.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ysb33r, I have just booked flights to Munich with Lufthansa. I phoned to check on ski carriage, as one of the flights (EDI - LHR) is operated by British Midland whose policy is to charge for skis. I was told that as long as the flight has a Lufthansa flight number (and it has) the skis will be carried free. Once I had booked I phoned again to book the skis as that cannot be done on line. I was told that I could have skis, boots and sticks in addition to my 20kg baggage allowance. This I booked and the Lufthansa rep e-mailed me a new booking form confirming the skis were included.

The delight for me was that the total cost was about £30 less than Sleazyjet (or Jet2.com to Salzburg). Slight downside having to travel via LHR, rather than on a direct flight to Munich.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ysb33r, Can't comment on Austrian but free ski carriage with Lufthansa is nothing new. I've been taking mine for free for a few years now. I haven't read your link but to date skis have not been included in your hold luggage weight allowance. No restrictions in terms of length either.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ysb33r, Have you ever looked at prices with austrian? I should hope you get lots free.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
waynos wrote:
ysb33r, Have you ever looked at prices with austrian? I should hope you get lots free.

It's all give and take. I've used Kayak to compare prices for some destinations I am considering in Dec, and both Easyjet and Ryanair turned out to be more expensive once the hold luggage was added.

Even it it was not, Ryanair will have to be seriously cheaper before I would ever consider flying it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Didn’t Air Berlin do flights from Stansted to Salzburg last winter where the ski carriage was free as well?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy