Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easyjet sports equipment charges - up by 40pc

Poster: A snowHead
I was checking out flights for next winter with Easyjet and I discovered that the ski carriage (sports equipment) charges have gone up to £25 each way. I've written a post about it on my blog http://morethanskiing.wordpress.com and would be interested to know what the Snowheads baggage experts (of the excellent luggage thread) think. It looks like it's still OK to carry a 32kg ski or board bag as long as everything in it is sports equipment. Has anyone here packed their ski/board bag with all the other ski/board junk - clothing, underwear, gloves, shovel, etc - and come across any problems at check-in? Does anyone do this successfully on a regular basis? It seems being a highly organised packer - between party members as well - could be important this year to save cash...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've used my ski bag stuffed with everything as my only hold bag with KLM, which is cheap as as long as you warn them beforehand of the size it doesn't cost any extra.

Flying out of Aberdeen with Easyjet is ace, my kayak doesn't fit on their scales so I stuffed it full of boating kit and my tent and lied about the weight to stick to 32kg between that and my other bag, hello 40kg luggage allowance Very Happy

Can't see why they'd be fussed whether the 32kg was split between one item or two, one should be less work for them really...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
clarky999, Just incase some case lugger pulls a muscle and sues them
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
MountainMaid, no problem with one 32kg bag with Easyjet but it won't save you any money. Booking a sports bag only gives you another 12kg of allowance so to obtain a 32kg allowance you have to still book the 20kg hold bag & the 12kg sports bag.

The 32kg single bag weight limit is a H&S reg to protect the baggage handlers etc. The only other way to take a 32kg single bag is to just book the 20kg hold bag & then pay for the additional weight as excess baggage - which works out waaay more expensive than booking a sports bag.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon, that's not correct.
We established this Winter that it was indeed possible to just book 'Sports Equipment' and for that equipment to be 32kg.
Yes, it gives U 12kg extra.
The other 20kg is allocated to you as a passenger not to specifically to your hold bag - U only pay extra to put it in the hold rolling eyes

Batman_123 made it work for her and I did the same thing when I went to Grenoble in March. One big bag of 30kg-ish - they didn't bat an eyelid at Luton and when challenged at Grenoble on the way back I simply showed a print of this page: http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Planning/baggage.html
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There is the bijou problemette that a 32 kg bag is a dreadfully unwieldy beast.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Aiport trolleys to help there though - unless you're at Luton where you pay a non-refunded £2 for the privilege... greedy Fitzwilliams, I'll leave the trolley in the most inconvenient bloody place I can find after that.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
admin, I did the same, no problem.

achilles, I use a wheeled board bag to pack my skis and clothes and just wheeled it along. (Without wishing to stir up that particular hornets' nest again my boots went into hand luggage.) The only problem was my helmet, which got damaged in the board bag: next time it's just going to hang from my hand luggage, I've seen loads of people doing that without any apparent difficulty.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
admin wrote:
spyderjon, that's not correct.
We established this Winter that it was indeed possible to just book 'Sports Equipment' and for that equipment to be 32kg.
Yes, it gives U 12kg extra.
The other 20kg is allocated to you as a passenger not to specifically to your hold bag - U only pay extra to put it in the hold rolling eyes

I stand corrected Embarassed
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Robbing B******s!

A 35% price increase is just about keeping pace with inflation.... Shocked

It looks like Ryanair's tactics of trying to stop passengers taking skis and sporting goods.

So that also makes it £50 to take a bike on a plane with Easyjet. Sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bergmeister wrote:
Robbing B******s!.....

Puzzled

Annual Easyjet financial figures

Turnover: £2973.1 million. Profit before tax: £154.0million. I make that 5.2% profit based on turnover. Would you bother to run a business which had the risks and outlay of operating an airline for those figures?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Surely this is good news for the ferry companies and the euro tunnel. There has to be a price point at which we decide not to take our skis/boards which leaves us with 4 alternatives :

1. rent equipment in resort
2. seek alternative travel method (drive / train)
3. book with an airline without ski carriage charges (Lufansa / Swiss for example)
4. give up.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not to sure why people consider them "robbing ba****", they are running a buisness, the point of which is to make a profit. If you cant afford to, or don't want to pay what they charge then simple, don't use them.

As with most things in life, you pay your money, you take your choice.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
adie wrote:
Not to sure why people consider them "robbing ba****", they are running a buisness, the point of which is to make a profit. If you cant afford to, or don't want to pay what they charge then simple, don't use them.

As with most things in life, you pay your money, you take your choice.

But what is the extra cost to airlines to carry a pair of skis?

If they can carry a person weighing 100Kgs and deal with all of the costs associated with getting that person through the airport for £25, how can they justify a £25 charge for carrying a 10Kg pair of skis?

They are obviously using the high profit made on ski carriage to off-set the low profit made on those without skis.

So skiers are now subsidising non-skier's air travel.

As previously said; 'robbing bar stewards'

If the office of Fair Trading can look into high bank charges then they must be able to look into the matter of unreasonable ski carriage charges
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mr Marmot wrote:

If the office of Fair Trading can look into high bank charges then they must be able to look into the matter of unreasonable ski carriage charges

nope, not enough people effected. Besides, the charges will never be deemed unreasonable while ever there are enough muppets around to pay them (and yes, I may be one of those muppets, but only if there are no other choices available)
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:
Robbing B******s!.....

Puzzled

Annual Easyjet financial figures

Turnover: £2973.1 million. Profit before tax: £154.0million. I make that 5.2% profit based on turnover. Would you bother to run a business which had the risks and outlay of operating an airline for those figures?

£197 Million increase in assets as well.
snow conditions
lightningdan, yup. Still wouldn't want to run a capital-intensive, and highly risky business on those profit margins, though. Would you? Clearly Mr Marmot would. I presume he has very deep pockets. Could he be Bill Gates' sock puppet?
snow conditions
Mr Marmot:

Your missing the point its not about the extra cost to the airline, its about them making money, they don't run an airline for any other reason, and they are obviously fairly comfortable that enough people will pay the charge at the new level.

Office of fair trading, not likely, be careful what you wish for remember there is no tax on aviation fuel, bring that in and a couple of quid to carry your skis will seem like a drop in the ocean.

If you don't want to pay don't fly with them.
snow conditions
Bergmeister wrote:
Robbing B******s!

A 35% price increase is just about keeping pace with inflation.... Shocked

It looks like Ryanair's tactics of trying to stop passengers taking skis and sporting goods.

So that also makes it £50 to take a bike on a plane with Easyjet. Sad

Equally was £50 for my 20kg 8.5 foot kayak, which I reckon is a pretty good deal (Ryanair is over £80...)
ski holidays
Achilles, EasyJets's profits/losses are much in-line with the rest of the aviation industry. They are taking no bigger risk than any other airline. Don't make them out as some sort of martyr because they are running their business at only 5%+ profit last year. Many large companies would love to make 5% profit.

I actually want the low-cost airlines to prosper and expand. They provide a useful service with low cost flights to a large number of destinations including many smaller airports. Long may this continue.

It is their whole ethos of making so much of their profits from punishing their customers wherever possible and taking advantage of those groups who they think they can 'screw' that I detest.

I understand that Ryanair are now going to make a charge of £150 to anyone who accidently spells their own name wrong when booking! Scandalous profiteering!

In my opinion a 40% increase to £50 (return journey) to carry skis by EasyJet is profiteering and is overcharging one group of travellers to subsidise another.

Customer satisfaction seems to be very low on the priorities of low-cost airlines. Having run a business myself for almost 30 years, I really struggle to understand their mindset.

The increase by Easyjet will not affect me to any great extent. But some of us think of others, and not only themselves. There might soon be those skiers who can no longer afford to take their own favourite skis and have to use whatever they can find at the resort instead.

If the costs to ski keep on rising, surely we will hit the point where the numbers of people skiing fall to a point where there can be no meaningful investment in ski lifts etc. by the resorts. This will affect even those who don't use the airlines. I've noticed a reduction in numbers skiing over the past couple of years and the airlines making unrealistic charges for ski carriage is hardly likely to make things better.

Adie, your comment about not involving the Office Of Fair Trading because we pay no tax on aviation fuel is not relevant. Taxes are levied by Governments and I am talking about profiteering by businesses. Also the OFT has no power to investigate Government levied taxes.

I don't expect everyone to agree with me but I consider I have the right to make my views known, otherwise other SnowHeads might believe that everyone accepts the rises without any protest. Sarcastic or flippant comments from Achilles or Adie are hardly likely deter me.
ski holidays
Mr Marmot, I don't recall saying easyjet were martyrs - I said would you run a business with those profits, given the risk. I would not. I accept that many other airlines are not doing very well - and should be doing what they can to increase their margins. You certainly do have the right to make your views known - even if they suggest very little knowledge of operating a business.
snow report
achilles wrote:
Mr Marmot, I don't recall saying easyjet were martyrs - I said would you run a business with those profits, given the risk. I would not. I accept that many other airlines are not doing very well - and should be doing what they can to increase their margins. You certainly do have the right to make your views known - even if they suggest very little knowledge of operating a business.

I would love to run Easyjet or Ryanair, Achilles. I appreciate that it wouldn't be easy in such a difficult sector as aviation, so the first thing I'd do is to try and steal a lead on the competition by changing the business model to be fair to our customers and transparent in our dealings with them.

I may have very little knowledge of operating a business; only nearly 30 years, and with only a maximum of 25 employees at any one time, but I think I've done pretty well to survive two/three recessions. What about you Archilles? You obviously know everything there is to know about operating a business. Tell me why your knowledge of it is so great? Are you actually Mr Branson or Mr Sugar in disguise? All business tips gratefully received, it's never too late to learn something new!

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 20-06-11 10:03; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Mr Marmot, rolling eyes Laughing

ok bye wink
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
Mr Marmot, rolling eyes Laughing

ok bye wink

Come back Mr Branson! I was hoping for some tips! Wink
snow conditions
Easyjet does quite well out of me every year including in the past 12 months at least 4 flights that I didn't actually end up taking but I do get the feeling that they're pushing the limit on what I'll bear in terms of add on costs for my leisure flights when there are options which allow free baggage allowances still. What particularly gets on my tits is an inflexible booking engine that doesn't allow me to book multiple flights and then choose which legs I want to take baggage on as it requires me to book the baggage on all or none basis.
latest report
Renting Ski's is very much back in fashion for folk who have to fly !
snow report
I only fly to ski once a year but until last trip couldn't be bothered to bring my skis. I was the only one in the group and it made a difference to taxi fares this end etc etc. But having paid €90 for four days middle-of-the-road ski hire this year, I will be dragging mine along next girls trip.
ski holidays
Mr Marmot wrote:
....Come back Mr Branson! I was hoping for some tips! Wink

I thought we'd got to the stage where there was not much more to say. I think that a company in what is a risky business (who would have thought Swissair would fold?) would not be over happy with but 5% profit before tax. I also think it's up to the company to decide which parts of its price menu can stand a greater mark up than others - as a marketing decision. You don't seem to. I've got that - what's the point of carrying on? There's no need for the thread to degenerate into repeated mindless argument as happened in the Skiing Europe thread.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks, everyone, for the advice on what people have carried through ski-bag-wise - very useful. I'm actually amazed how cheap it still is to fly around Europe, and am generally a fan of Easyjet. Their price structure is up to them and if they can carry on offering such cheap flights in this climate then good on them. However, if there are ways to save on baggage charges - as it is clear there are - then it is great to know about them. I haven't done the maths re hiring vs byo. I nearly always bring my own. On some occasions I envy my friends' rental planks, as they look better than my own and it can be nice to have flexibility according to conditions; other times I'm pleased to have my own goodish pair. Nearly always I'm glad not to have to faff about choosing/fitting/etc but sometimes I envy friends' light loads en route to the Alps.
snow report
Quote:

Easyjet sports equipment charges - up by 40pc
Was £40, now £50.....How does that equate to a 40% increase Puzzled
snow report
Was it £40? I thought I paid £35 last year, which is about 40%, may be wrong though.

Regardless their prices do seem to have crept up a fair bit lately.
ski holidays
Quote:

Was £40, now £50

It was actually £37 before now.

So, a modest 35% increase...
latest report
Quote:

Was £40, now £50.....
Quote:
It was actually £37
Oops! I stand corrected (in my orthopaedic ski boots Toofy Grin.....)
snow conditions
achilles wrote:
Mr Marmot wrote:
....Come back Mr Branson! I was hoping for some tips! Wink

I thought we'd got to the stage where there was not much more to say. I think that a company in what is a risky business (who would have thought Swissair would fold?) would not be over happy with but 5% profit before tax. I also think it's up to the company to decide which parts of its price menu can stand a greater mark up than others - as a marketing decision. You don't seem to. I've got that - what's the point of carrying on? There's no need for the thread to degenerate into repeated mindless argument as happened in the Skiing Europe thread.

Achilles, sorry, I didn't realise that you were the unelected arbiter of what was mindless argument on SnowHeads.

Therefore I would confirm that I 'got' your point ; I also think it's up to the company to decide which parts of its price menu can stand a greater mark up than others - as a marketing decision. . The point at which I 'got' it was when they 'did' it.

Hopefully you have also 'got' my point that I feel EasyJet are 'robbing bar stewards' because their charge for ski carriage is greater than their cost for providing the service as an add-on to a passenger fare. Furthermore I now feel that ski-carriage payers are subsidising the fare of non-ski-carriage paying customers.

We can now move on to some other subject until you decide that too is mindless.
ski holidays
Mr Marmot wrote:
....... Furthermore I now feel that ski-carriage payers are subsidising the fare of non-ski-carriage paying customers.

Maybe. A bit like those buying Tescos Premium Batch bread are subsidising those buying a Value White loaf. Sorta how business (except yours) runs.

Quote:
We can now move on to some other subject until you decide that too is mindless.

Ooo! Are we getting a teensy bit tectchy, sweetheart? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Yes, true, Tesco are robbing Bar stewards also! Smile But two or ten thousand wrongs don't make a right. I couldn't run my business like these sort of people do. 'suppose that is why they are so 'successful' in some people's eyes. If it's just me who thinks they are being less than fair to their customers, so be it!
snow report
Quote:

If it's just me who thinks they are being less than fair to their customers, so be it!
Not just you Mr Marmot! I understand that if I don't like it I don't have to book with easyjet but it irks me that they have gone from a position of carrying skis for free (when taking any sporting kit also meant a free increased baggage allowance) to charges which are almost Ryanair-esque.

Adding in the fact that their fares also seem to have increased markedly, I for one will definitely not fly as frequently with them in future. Not to mention that I see that Lufthansa are serving ski destinations like Munich from as little as £90 next winter - which includes 22kg of luggage PLUS free ski carriage.

Quote:

I now feel that ski-carriage payers are subsidising the fare of non-ski-carriage paying customers.
I agree. Hadn't thought of that! Also irritating! Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Annoying, but the last time I hired skis a cheap rental binding did for my knee, so even at £50 i'll still pay it.

What they should be more worried about is that IME it is increasingly cheaper to package your ski holiday. We did last year, for the first time for 5 or more years. One holiday is booked DIY for next season, purely because we have to go midweek to midweek, but the other holiday will again be a package.
latest report
I think is a scandal, and at those prices it will not be long before some entrepreneur in London sets up a ski carriage business driving a van through Eurotunnel from the airport, in order to compete.

How many skis can you fit in the back of a transit van for £25? - can you think of some way of an advance pick up and drop off point at Geneva airport and central London or something?

Bigtipper, I like your thinking wink Could be possible for the delivery guy to check them into the left-luggage at Geneva airport station if they are not being picked up on the day he arrives (but if he arrived on a Saturday and hung around he'd catch many I guess). Would be 8-10CHFs a day though in left-luggage. Not sure about a London drop point.

However it might be cheaper just to ship them over and back yourself, if you are a big family/group and send a few together. Couriers will take a ski-sized box with 2 or 3 pairs in over to France for about £60 + VAT, probably less. Quotes at https://www.transglobal.org.uk

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 21-06-11 23:03; edited 2 times in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy