Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowheads on Twitter?

Poster: A snowHead
Two questions:
1. When is Snowheads going to start a twitter feed? It would be perfect for wether updates and current resort conditions, dump alerts etc.
2. Any other snowheads on twitter? PM me your username if you don't want to splash it in public.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dr John, I guess it would be possible using a Twitter RSS feed. Whether admin, or anyone else with appropriate access, has the time to code, debug, and publish, I'm not sure.

You can already send snow reports by your mobile phone, of course, but it'd be interesting to see how many other sHs would prefer to use Twitter to send for snow reports and the like.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
achilles, I've no interest in it at all - but I'm a luddite I s'ppose. It would be pretty hard to find the relevant info from unstructured tweets
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
holidayloverxx, not in the slightest, just tag the tweet with #SH (for example), and you can see all posts in one view.

It depends on how SH sees itself. If it's happy being a what it is then great, but if it wants to expand then it needs to keep pace with current web-trends, and like it or not that means having a FB and Twitter accounts.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
holidayloverxx, good point. I must admit I don't Tweet, even though I ave an account. But then I am still getting to grips with Facebook. Time was I felt I was at the cutting edge of computing - programming family ZX81 and then BBC computers. Now I feel I have to keep racing to catch up Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm sure I have seen #snowheads

Yer tis
http://twitter.com/#/snowHeads

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 16-06-11 11:45; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dr John, you mean like @snowHeads?
There appear to be 159 people following - not sure why as I haven't made any twitches on it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
admin, I follow snowHeads and Vodabrain, wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dr John, I'd written my post to holidayloverxx before I saw your latest. Be kind to me as I'm ignorant. Could your Tweet include both #SH and, say, #Courchevel? As I understand it the answer is yes - but you couldn't get a double SH and Courchevel filter on one screen. Or am I wrong?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
holidayloverxx & achilles, log into Twitter and search on #skiing. You'll see that all posts with that tag appear in one list. The same would work for #SH. There are many skiers with Twitter accounts and update with links and useful info all year round (Chemmy is active). SCGB, TGR, Chemmy, Vonn, Rachael Burks, Chris Davenport, Seth Morrison, Mike Douglas etc are all active with interesting posts, seems a shame that SH seems to be the only ski related web-site (or, indeed, virtually any web-site of any type) without a Twitter feed.

Just a thought...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
achilles, have a look at http://twitter.com/#/Montalbert73 Very Happy It has a rather select following, including one 4xworld ski champion and James Bond stunt girl!

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 16-06-11 11:51; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
admin, yep, exactly like that. Why don't you have a link to it on the web site?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
boredsurfin, gotta find my password first. I think I remember my user name Embarassed
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles, that's correct. You can add as many tags as the 140 restriction allows, but you can only filter search on one tag.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have 6 Twitter accounts, do I need Twitter deck to run them properly?
latest report
Dr John wrote:
tbh. because I've no idea why anyone, who had already found snowHeads.com, would want to find it.
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
admin, I follow snowHeads and Vodabrain, wink
Then clearly you'll follow anyone!
snow report
admin, that's their choice, perhaps?

Also because Twitter is very quick and easy to view on mobile devices.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 16-06-11 11:57; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Dr John, Hmmm, but I wouldn't want to see all the posts if I'm only looking for, say, dump alert in Flachau - would I? Happy to tbe educated! edit: I think it's been answered already

I can spot a few of the folk on here following, including Phil Keith - I couldn't resist looking at his tweets - was there a "snowHeads.com End of Season Bash guide to the 3 Vallees"?

Gaaargh - I've been sucked in!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 16-06-11 12:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
admin, I do, even JWAZZ Cool
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, 2 second to search on "Flachau" reveals http://twitter.com/#!/flachauinfo & http://twitter.com/#!/snowspace

The more you use Twitter, the more useful it is.
latest report
Dr John, thanks - better brush up on my German!
snow report
holidayloverxx, er, yes, I thought that. Let's call that one a partial success shall we?
snow conditions
Dr John, indeed Laughing
snow conditions
boredsurfin, do I detect that you are deeply in love with La Plagne?

I take it Twitter is primarily for those using a smart phone app?
snow report
achilles, not primarily, but it's a significant appeal. I use it as a news service, rarely tweet myself.
snow conditions
holidayloverxx wrote:
I can spot a few of the folk on here following, including Phil Keith - I couldn't resist looking at his tweets - was there a "snowHeads.com End of Season Bash guide to the 3 Vallees"?
His idea... but didn't get it done in time. Maybe next year?
ski holidays
Dr John wrote:
I use it as a news service, rarely tweet myself.
I've heard that can make you go e-blind.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles wrote:
Dr John, I guess it would be possible using a Twitter RSS feed......

Hmm I see twitter used to support RSS, but no longer does
latest report
admin, my hand was developing a claw so I had to stop
snow report
achilles,
admin,
Quote:

I've heard that can make you go e-blind.

Theres an idea in there somewhere Very Happy
snow report
Twitter my a**e. It was much better when you got the week old snow report once a week in The Daily Mail. Those were the days... lace up boots, cable bindings, 220cm skis. Even nostalgia's not what it was.
snow conditions
admin wrote:
Dr John wrote:
tbh. because I've no idea why anyone, who had already found snowHeads.com, would want to find it.

Agreed, now is their any point in starting a "keep snowheads off twitter" campaign.

As above twitter my a**e
snow conditions
Kel, you probably want to smash up that spinning jenny as well, no good will come of it, I tells ya.

Cos let's face it, SH's is completely funded by pixies who throw down gold coins from their tree houses, who needs more members and more funding anyway?

Berk.
snow report
Dr John wrote:
Kel, you probably want to smash up that spinning jenny as well, no good will come of it, I tells ya.

Cos let's face it, SH's is completely funded by pixies who throw down gold coins from their tree houses, who needs more members and more funding anyway?

Berk.

Berk, that's rather personal.

No snowheads is funded by people who make an annual contribution towards the running of the site. You can tell who these people are by the tag super/mega snowhead (unlike yourself). Then of course the advertising revenue.

Tweet Tweet
snow report
Kel, look to your right ----->
Of course there is the option for super/megas to turn off advertising... but the majority of users are not super/mega.... More traffic = More cash!

Tweeting is a fantastic idea in relation to announcing snow reports, or the news items etc.. etc...

It would also help promote different areas of the site - eg. 'new trip report for Margate just added by SkiMargate'

It can also create a 'voice' for the site/brand. But I think this is something that Admin tries to avoid due to potential bias etc.. etc..

The main worry seems to be altering the 'feel' of the site - if it aint broke don't fix it - although things are starting to be a bit clunky and dated..... but i'm still 'ere!
snow report
flangesax, you get it.

Kel, you don't. You really really don't get it. Why does it matter to you if SH's has a presence on Twitter? If you don't want to use it then don't, no-ones forcing you. But why do you want to stop others from trying to promote SH's and get more traffic, therefore more revenue. Speak to any of the advertisers, who you so correctly pointed out contribute to the revenue, if they think more traffic is a good idea or a bad idea. I've a sneaky suspicion they'll want to see more traffic, and then they'll pay more.

Do you see it now? Do you?
snow report
Quote:

If you don't want to use it then don't, no-ones forcing you

Just like the snowHeads wiki Very Happy
ski holidays
boredsurfin, mmm. I think Twitter could work. Trouble is it would need someone empathetic to both Twitter and sH - and who could guarantee to give it time, regularly and reliably - to feed Tweets.
ski holidays
achilles, Something like todays highlights on sH,now let me see, what is there today? Another thread about 4x4's and a film title to describe Lady Gardens, hmmm, may not be quite what admin would want Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy