Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bansko Ski Season 2011/12

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,
does anyone know when the lift system opens in Bansko this December?
I've found lift pass prices starting from 01/12, however the season didn't start until 12/12 last year and I don't want to get caught out.
We're hoping to go on 10/12, and as we were going to buy lift passes there, I could do with some confidence that we'll end up being able to ski Very Happy

Cheers,
Emm.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would wait untill mid december before going and even then it will depend on if they have had early snow. Going before christmas is always a risk, so if you wait to book late, then you will know for sure

cheers
Smag
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi smagsmith, thanks for the response. So is the season opening date dependant on the snow conditions? I can't go later in December, but all the research I've done (including on here) has suggested that there will be something to ski on, even if it comes out of cannons. I just don't want to get there and find I can't actually buy a lift pass.

Before anyone asks - yes I've looked at plenty of other options, resorts etc, nothing is coming up trumps, and even some of the French resorts are not snowsure in December. Plus I was finding it very hard to get any decent accommodation for that week anywhere. If I can't guarantee lift passes in Bansko that week we'll probably leave it til 2012 Smile

Cheers,
Emm.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Emmeline, With all due respect I think you are nuts considering Bansko if you're fixed on that date and not particularly budget constrained. Why not Tignes or Kaprun or Les Deux Alpes e.g. somewhere that definitely will have some skiing rather than being entirely snow gun dependent. Remember snow guns still rely on low temps to operate.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Emmeline, My experience of Bansko is that there is always some snow to slide about on when the season opens, but I agree with fatbob, Have you looked at Tignes etc. You may get lucky if you chose bansko and the weather has been kind. I own a place in Bansko, but even I would not go pre Xmas unless it was a last minute thing and the snow was good. That is why I am going to Tignes in Dec this year.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi fatbob, and smagsmith, .
Yes I've looked at Tignes, there wasn't a lot on offer, and I'm going there next week so was hoping really to go somewhere different (was also in Les Deux Alpes in March).
I haven't looked at Kaprun. Maybe we'll have to review Bansko for next year (Feb/March). It's our first ski holiday together so I don't want to be in a chalet or some rubbish apartment with a sofabed, and that's basically all I'm getting when I do searches in France, well - within the budget anyway! The transfers are often stupid prices too.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
http://www.bulgariaski.com/bansko/index.shtml

This page mentions 15 December but isn't clear which season..........
Can you not contact the Tourist Office for clarification?

I know you have your heart set on Bulgaria but can't believe that you couldn't find something nice in France or Austria. It's been said here and on the other thread - for this time of the year, it really is best to wait and see where the snow is and there will be plenty of deals. I always book our hols well in advance but that's because I still have two boys at school. With just two adults you will find something easily, probably a package that will include transfers.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Lou, thanks for the link.
I can't really 'wait and see', as there are no package deals coming up for that week at all, so (as per previous thread) it's not a question of following the snow and trying to get a decent deal. Our only options seem to be getting flights and hotels seperately, in which case it's better to book in advance due to availability/flight prices going up.

No worries, I'm probably being over-expectant for getting something decent for that week - but I managed a brilliant week in Meribel (inc. Champagne Powder!) the same week last year, so know that it's not out of the question. In fact I'd go back there with Inside Out this year, if it wasn't for the fact that my boyfriend is a snowboarder Wink

Cheers all. I'll keep looking.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Having been skiing to Bulgaria at Christmas when there was no snow I would avoid it. If it were my money I'd book flights to Innsbruck for £125 a head and a 4* half board hotel in Obergurgl for a further £500 per person. Whilst there I'd enjoy the Austrian hospitality, meals on the mountain for €10 or so and large beers for €3.50.

Pete
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
fatbob, +1

A glacier really is the best bet, or at least near one.

I'd be heading to Innsbruck, and wait 'til nearer the time to decide on resort. If snow is bad, go Stubaital and ski on the glacier. I'd be suprised if Ischgl, and probably St Anton, aren't in good condition by then though. Mayrhofen & Hintertux would be the other obvious choice, or perhaps somewhere near the Kitzsteinhorn.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Providing you go Sat to Sat you can book hotel at last minute.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cheers both - I've been looking at a fair few other options, i.e. Austria, Switzerland, France etc (see http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=76251), but seem to be 'lucking out'. Flights to Innsbruck & Salzberg are tricky, we can get to Zurich (and there's a fair few resorts close by of interest - i.e. Flims) but I'm finding it hard to get the accommodation we want, and the transfers all seem to be pretty expensive. We don't want to get into the realms of hiring a car, and public transport would be tricky.

I've also looked at France - as we can get to Grenoble or Geneva from the Midlands, and do Bens Bus to various places (i.e. the Espace Killy area, L2A, 3 Valleys) but I'm doing Tignes next week, and have been to L2A & 3V and wanted to try somewhere different). Bansko has amazing facilities and is very cheap, but I guess not snow-sure.

Ideally we wanted to do Austria/Switzerland, so would still be open to ideas - but getting to Innsbruck is difficult from the Midlands, or any airport within a couple of hours.

If anyone knows of a cheap way to get to a decent resort from Zurich (can't do trains as the flight gets in pretty late Sunday night) I'd be interested. We don't really want to stay in chalet, so either a decent S/C apartment or half board hotel. We'd like to be near the lifts, not toooo far away from the airport, preferably with a hot tub Very Happy

I've spent a good deal of time looking into all this over a period of weeks, and have to say I'm pretty pooped now - think make it hard for myself by choosing silly weeks!
Maybe I'll just use the rest of my leave on a summer holiday and wait til next year to go away skiing again.

OR - I might cheekily book onto the next Inside Out training camp in Tignes in October, depending on how next week on the glacier goes Very Happy Very Happy
Would have to leave my snowboarder behind though, it's a skiing course..... Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Emmeline, igluski have 7 nights HB in a 4* hotel in Obergurgl for around £600pp dep Gatwick on 10/12). Is it the departure from Gatwick that's an issue for you? In my view I'd much rather go to Austria and have the hassle of a 2.5hr drive to Gatwick than go to Bulgaria from East Midlands.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yeah, you've probably got a point PeteMan, to be fair we were going to Bulgaria from Manchester which is a 1.5 hour drive anyway.
Think I'm just being a cheapo - Bulgaria for a 4* apartment complex and everything (lift passes, food, transfers etc) was coming in at around £1200 for the 2 of us.
Guess I'd be looking at another £500 or so for lift passes in Obergurgl? I'll look into it.... then a bit extra for petrol to/from Gatwick.... BUT there will be snow.

I'll have a look later when the boy is round Very Happy Thanks. Mind you if we're going from a London airport that opens up possibly a whole new world of possibilities Smile!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Emmeline wrote:
Yeah, you've probably got a point PeteMan, to be fair we were going to Bulgaria from Manchester which is a 1.5 hour drive anyway.
Think I'm just being a cheapo - Bulgaria for a 4* apartment complex and everything (lift passes, food, transfers etc) was coming in at around £1200 for the 2 of us.
Guess I'd be looking at another £500 or so for lift passes in Obergurgl? I'll look into it.... then a bit extra for petrol to/from Gatwick.... BUT there will be snow.

I'll have a look later when the boy is round Very Happy Thanks. Mind you if we're going from a London airport that opens up possibly a whole new world of possibilities Smile!

Lift passes for that week will be £330 for the two of you. A 4* in Bulgaria is like a 3* anywhere else but a 3* in Austria is like 4* anywhere else! You know Austria makes sense, who wants to eat a load of luke warm Bulgarian stodge!
snow conditions
Emmeline, You appear to be dead set on Bansko and looking for obstacles when considering anywhere else. There will be dozens of options in resorts all over Europe that meet your date/budget criteria. Having visited Bansko a few times, I wouldn't risk the 2nd week in Dec.
snow conditions
PeteMan, Cool - didn't realise lift passes were that cheap. Austria was my first choice anyway, so we'll definitely look into that Smile Cheers.

Mollerski, ? Bansko seemed the likely option after I'd already looked into everything else, certainly wasn't my first choice. Now that I've understood that it's not the best place to go that week in December (despite opinions on here to the contrary on other threads) then I'm broadening my options by looking at flying from a London airport.
ski holidays
It's not the best place to go any week lol.

Would Munich be any better for you? I'm about to fly there from Birmingham with Lufthansa, they must have similar flights in the winter too.
ski holidays
Hi clarky999, probably why it's so cheap then Very Happy Ok, think we're deffo looking back at Austria now. Ischgl is our preferred choice, as recommended by various people on my other thread, and by J2Ski for Intermediate skiiers, snowboarders. Also liking the look of Soll, Solden, Kaprun & St Anton.

All the package deals coming up are for Obergurgl, a couple in Ischgl, and some in St Anton. Am sure we'll find something. Ischgl has got a lovely hotel, loads of facilites, bit too family orientated, but shouldn't think there would be many kids around that week (I don't really mind them though to be fair, long as they're not running around screeching!), coming in at £788 each HB. I'm used to getting flights, accommodation and lift passes for that kind of money though so I'll keep looking for now Very Happy

Might even do what others are suggesting and hold on til just before we go then see what is around. Bit nervous with that though, as there's only a handful of Ishgl packages coming up, and that's looking at several Tour Operators.

Could fly to Innsbruck from Gatwick, and book a hotel seperate - but outside of a package they seem to be pricey, as do the transfers. Can't be doing with trains etc!

Not sure about Munich - like Zurich I can get there easily enough, it's just getting to somewhere else from there (where/how?) is the problem Smile We were looking at Flims from Zurich but transfers were coming out ridiculously expensive, and the TO's in charge of booking hotels there have not come back to me despite a couple of mails Sad

Cheers,
Emm.
snow report
Emmeline wrote:
Might even do what others are suggesting and hold on til just before we go then see what is around.

Shocked wink
ski holidays
Yeah yeahLou, .... I know - a girl can change her mind Wink Cheers for everything, now that I'm open to going from Gatters it makes life a bit easier.
ski holidays
clarky999, Thread drift! Do you still need an intro to my chartered surveyor friend re your thesis? PM me with your contact details if you do and I'll get back to you. Cool
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, Cheers, I forgot about that - pm sent!

Emmeline, Whenever I've flown into Munich I've always noticed loads of coaches with signs for the Arlberg, I presume they must be transfers to St Anton.
snow conditions
Quote:

Yes I've looked at Tignes, there wasn't a lot on offer, and I'm going there next week so was hoping really to go somewhere different
Puzzled Er, you might notice a slight difference between mid summer in Tignes (20km of glacier piste and lots of greenery) and early winter (usually most of the 250km of piste and total snow cover) wink......
ski holidays
mountainaddict, yeah - true, deffo very green here and a limited amount of piste, gotta be totally different come the proper season.
Think I'll ruminate more on it later in the year, having a great time here so far so think I'll plan another out of season trip here for October with Inside Out Very Happy
snow report
Hi Emmeline

There is usually sking available in Bansko from early Dec (although no guarantees) but the official opening of the resort is usually the middle of the month. Last year was the exception and the snow was late. But before the official opening the pass prices are usually quite heavily discounted.

There are lots of great places to stay in Bansko including ski chalets, apartments and hotels

Hope this helps
ski holidays
Glynis, thanks very much for helping with my question, and for the info Very Happy Yeah, we found a brilliant looking apartment complex, cheap flights and transfers etc. Could do the whole week, everything included for about £1200 (for 2!), but after most of the advice on this, and my other thread - I've had to reconsider Bansko as we could end up with nothing to ski/snowboard on. We're now looking back at Austria, flying from Gatwick, and paying around £2k, pricier but we're probably guaranteed better snow Smile
ski holidays
You're welcome Emmeline, glad I could help. If you have any queries at a later date feel free to come back to me.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Glynis, that's great - thanks so much, we're definitely looking at Bansko later in the season, so will shout if we've got any questions (I'm sure we will have!) Smile
latest report
Emmeline, Have a look at Obertauern - 1.5 hours from Salzburg Airport, resort has their own coach transfer for 44 euro return, takes you straight to your hotel. Snow starts falling in November, full lift system will be open in December, but it can be bitter cold and windy!
ski holidays
sharon1953, hi sharon does the resort transfer bus from obertauern go mid week or just weekends we go to obertauern a lot but with the T/O and was going to see if i could do it cheaper myself thanks in advance adele
latest report
figg4, yes as far as I know, we have been mid week and used it. Trouble with T/O in that resort is they only go to the most expensive hotels, but there are loads of cheaper ones to choose from and S/C if you do it yourself. This the link to transport page http://www.obertauern.com/en/winter/local-info/arrival/fly-shuttle.html and company that does the bus is called Habersatter Reisen. I also know a private transfer company we have used many times that does the round trip euro 199, (up to 8 people in a Merc Mini bus). If there is a group of you it works out cheaper than the coach!
latest report
sharon1953, thanks for this will have a look any hotels you could recomend adele
snow conditions
Hotel Gamsleiten, right next to the main lift. If the car park has snow on the ground, you can ski to the boot-room door! Breakfast is so good we never bother with lunch, and they start afternoon tea at 3.30 pm with hot dishes, cream cakes and hot drinks. This just bridges the gap to dinner! Easy to book direct. http://www.gamsleiten.net/en/hotel.html

Another good one is The Latschenhof, opposite a bridge you ski across and drop down to the lifts in the lower part of the resort, so good location again. Food just as good, but we have heard that there are some older rooms, that are not as nice as the newer ones. This hotel is used by T/O’s. http://www.latschenhof.com/ Both take a small reservation booking fee, you pay the rest at the end of your stay. No hotels will give you mid week bookings in their high season weeks, but there are lots of deals outside this period, and as they have such a long season we’ve picked up some bargain deals in March/April, when they had some of their biggest dumps!
ski holidays
thank you very much for your time
ski holidays
sharon1953, thanks very much for the info - looks pretty good, have had a look at some other hotels as well, as we might pay a bit more for a pool and gym etc Very Happy Only problem so far is that the people who do the shuttle don't appear to cater for Easyjet flights Sad BA is coming in at nearly double the price for a Gatwick flight - boo!
snow conditions
Hi Emmeline we organise a trip to Bansko each March,this year we had a group of 12 from beginners to advanced,if looking for flights to Sofia then look to fly from Luton with wizzair,easyjet from Gatwick or Manchester,Lufthansa fly from Birmingham via stopping in Germany then onto Sofia.

last season a weeks ski pass cost roughly £140
ski hire will set you back about £50 for 6/7 days
a private transfer from Sofia Airport to Bansko will cost around 160 euro based on 4 passengers
drinks & food in restaurants are very cheap compared to other european ski resorts...great apre ski in Bansko

if you need anymore info pm me and i will try to answer any questions
snow report
Thanks covkids, I'll let you know if we're looking to go to Bansko in March, sounds great. Only thing is we've now been invited out to Colarado & Texas that month so we'll most likely end up there.

sharon1953, I've emailed the transfer people (at the weekend), no response as yet. It's a shame cos I've found the perfect hotel (Steiner - it's got all the facilities!) but don't want to spend too much on the flights and transfers if we're splashing out for the accommodation. Fingers crossed they can help us out Very Happy

Cheers for all info.
latest report
covkids wrote:
...great apre ski in Bansko

Really? I always found the 'Happy' Ending Bar a slightly sinister place. Confused

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 14-07-11 22:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Emmeline wrote:
Thanks covkids, I'll let you know if we're looking to go to Bansko in March, sounds great. Only thing is we've now been invited out to Colarado & Texas that month ...

Ummmmm, tough one. Razz
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy