Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stunning ski views ... where to sea them

Poster: A snowHead
This NZ photo, just posted on the snow.co.nz site, isn't identified by location (anyone know?) but it must be one of the more spectacular sea views* obtainable from a ski area.

Others that spring to mind include Nevis Range in Scotland and Narvik in Norway (which I think enjoys Norway's biggest vertical, too). You'd be lucky to enjoy a sea view from the Alps, but can you see the sea from the Alpes Maritimes - Isola 2000 etc?

How about the Sierra Nevada, close to the Spanish coast? Never been there.

Which US or Canadian ski areas come with a whiff of the ocean? Is the sea visible from any pistes in the Andes?

Photo links welcome!

[*That's assuming it's the sea, and not lakes!]

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 28-07-05 7:08; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Sea to Sky Highway from Vacouver to Whistler is pretty spectacular.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Terrific photo. I'd guess it's somewhere in NZ. Here's one of Lutsen XC Resort in Minnesotta
http://xcskiresorts.com/photos/Lutsen.gif
on the edge of Lake Superior (artistic licence - big enough to qualify as a sea)

We had a thread about Alaskan extreme skiing which had a superb shot of the mountain from sea level. If I find it, I'll link.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Excellent Phote, thanks for sharing that DG.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That looks like Treble Cone. I got some photos from there. I,ll have to dig them out.

I expect will see plenty of shots of Lake Tahoe

How about Catedral Alta Patagonia (Argentina). I tried to paste a few photo's to make a panoramic view form the summit looking down on San Carlos de Bariloche . I guess you get the idea. It truly is spectacular view.

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/794/cat/500/ppuser/80
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stanton, good effort. Amazing view. Closer to home the view from Cairngorm down over Loch Morlich is great - on a good day.

More XC. Resurrection Bay, Alaska.
http://www.wildnatureimages.com/S%20to%20Z/X-COUNTRY-SKIING-RES-BAY-1..jpg
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
From the short but steep ski runs on Mt Olympus in Cyprus you can see the Mediterranean.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In principle, I think there are spectacular sea views at Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan. While I was there it snowed continually, so I didn't get to enjoy them.

Certainly views of Lake Tahoe are spectacular from quite a few resorts.

Kramer, it was a long time ago, but I don't remember seeing much sea on the way to Whistler - spectacular scenery though.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
laundryman, some quite good sea views at the start.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You can see the sea from the pistes on Mt Etna.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
And it seems the damage to the lifts in the last big eruption has been repaired and skiing will be possible this season (subject to volcanic activity being suitably low)
http://www.istc.org/sisp/?fx=event&event_id=41974
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Goldsmith, You don't have a sea view from Isola , however you do from Greolieres which is just behind Grasse and you see the bay of Cannes, La Napoule and Isles des Lerins.

I'll take a camera up this season and post the Med bathed in sunshine ... quite a view ...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's treble cone, NZ.

Here's a pic of Saddle Quad at Treble cone.
http://www.snow.co.nz/gallery/photo.asp?categoryKey=241&imageKey=1845
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Here's one from Nevis, looking down Loch Eil (a sea loch) taken in January this year.

http://www.geocities.com/brian7_0/locheil.jpg
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
brian, nice spooky atmospheric pic.
snow conditions
kuwait_ian wrote:
And it seems the damage to the lifts in the last big eruption has been repaired and skiing will be possible this season (subject to volcanic activity being suitably low)
http://www.istc.org/sisp/?fx=event&event_id=41974

Strangely the authorities keep on building the ski lifts in almost exactly the same location, then Etna keeps on knocking them down. If it wasn't such an expensive game they're playing it would be very funny. In the last 30 years they've lost two reasonably large cable cars, a very nice gondola and a handful of drag lifts!
ski holidays
Best lava on upper slopes
snow report
The Solway Firth is clearly visible from the top of Raise. In the other direction the view is across Ullswater towards Cross fell and the North Pennines.

http://www.snow-forecast.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=13&pos=70

From the summit plateaux of Cross Fell, (a popular area for ski touring), it is apparently possible to see both the North Sea and the Irish Sea . I think this is the only place in the UK where that is possible.
snow report
Grouse Mountain overlooking Vancouver & The Pacific.

Watched a couple of surreal sunsets in January.
snow report
Le Massif Quebec, with views of the icy St Lawrence river from the piste
snow report
BTW - If that is Treble Cone, then I assume the water in the piccy is Lake Wanaka and not the sea at all, as Wanaka is quite a long way from the sea and the Southern Alps are in the way. I think you can see the sea from the top of Ruapehu (i.e. Wahkapapa, N. Island), but it's far off in the distance. The closest significant water there though is L. Taupo, but IIRC it's obscured from view by Ngauruhoe and Tongariro. I would suspect the only place in NZ you would see the sea quite that close would be heli-skiing on the western slopes of the Southern Alps (above Fox or Franz Josef?). Or is there any skiing on Taranaki? Maybe one of our resident Kiwis could confirm?

If I've remembered the article in Ski and Board (about 2 yrs ago? - I seem to have mislaid it) right, it would seem unlikely there's any closer skiing to the sea than in southern Greenland - the reporter said something about having to make sure you stopped in time to avoid falling off the end of the glacier into the sea.
ski holidays
Then there was the article about skiing on an iceberg, but that turned out to be a hoax.
latest report
In Storm - one of the Warren Miller films - there's a section about a trip to South Georgia where they end up skiing right down to the edge of the bay where their ship was moored. I wouldn't fancy misjudging my stop, overshooting and ending up in the S. Atlantic!
snow report
My vote goes to Lake Tahoe, even though it's not a sea view!. If you stand on the upper slopes at Heavenly on the Nevada State Line, you can see the lake which is an amazing colour, plus on a really clear day you can see the desert over towards Reno, most spectacular.
ski holidays
Have now added video clip of Le Massif views here
latest report
1 guest, Welcome to SnowHeads.

(Sorry for the delay Very Happy snowHead )
latest report
snowbunny, my vote too!
snow conditions
Nice image! I wish I could see the sea where I go skiing!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Greenland - there was a Right Guard sponsored trip by some Brit pro snowboarders a couple of year's back. Lyngen Alps in Norway, Coastal mountains in BC which featured in one or more of the Matchstick movies, Alaska.

Ushuaia, Argentina has pretty good view of the Tierra del Fuego from its commercial ski hill if what I've read is correct. Although the Pacific really isn't far from the Chilean Andes the smog over Santiago doesn't make it that easy to see. Pucon is really nice skiing on a Volcano above the Lake. Bariloche & Chapelco in Argentina both have Tahoe like views.

I'd guess Mt Washington on Vancouver Island might have sea views.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith wrote:
This NZ photo, just posted on the snow.co.nz site, isn't identified by location (anyone know?) but it must be one of the more spectacular sea views* obtainable from a ski area...............

Looking at the edges of the skier, poles, and skis, I'd say that photo had been edited to drop the skier into the picture.
ski holidays
Nick Zotov wrote:
David Goldsmith wrote:
This NZ photo, just posted on the snow.co.nz site, isn't identified by location (anyone know?) but it must be one of the more spectacular sea views* obtainable from a ski area...............

Looking at the edges of the skier, poles, and skis, I'd say that photo had been edited to drop the skier into the picture.

Such effects are also a possible consequence of jpeg compression, you dont notice them in the landscape but when you have straight lines and such like the effects of compression become more obvious.
snow report
Also while not a sea view, Loch Morlich has been mentioned above, and actually this isn't a view from a ski area either, but towards CairnGorm Mountain from the beach on Loch Morlich on one of many a scorching May day in 2001.

snow conditions
Here's a couple from either end of Canada:
http://www.skicapesmokey.com/photogallery.html
http://www.grousemountain.com
snow conditions
Grouse Mountain on Vancouvers north shore is a real mecca for the nobbly tyre brigade in summer too.

Could be that Vancouver is the "best" city to live in for outdoorsy types, although I understand it can be a bit damp.
ski holidays
Hi TalkSki.com, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead I haven't come across your forum before (assuming you're admin there!). Has it been running long?
snow conditions
Yep, thats lake Wanaka looking down to Glendhu Bay from TC.
latest report
GrahamN, Gidday mate. Yes I believe you can see the sea from Taranaki. There is a club feild up there call Manganui (think thats the correct spelling). You can see lake Taupo from the top of Ruapehu but not from Whakapapa or Turoa ski fields. You need to walk up to the top of the mountain and get to the North East side. On a good day you get great veiws from Ruapehu and can see Mt Taranaki (cone Volcano) in the distance.
I think the Ski Field nearest to the sea back home is Mt Lyford which is about 50kms from Kaikoura (where they do all the swimming with dolphins)
ski holidays
marc gledhill wrote:

Could be that Vancouver is the "best" city to live in for outdoorsy types, although I understand it can be a bit damp.

Well having just returned from a +28degC sunny in BC, to a +11degC rainy in the UK.... I'd say that it's all relative!

NehNeh
latest report
I once nearly went on a ski holiday (I've seen other versions of it advertised since) which involved staying on a yacht off the coast of Norway. Each morning you were in a fijord and were rowed ashore. You put on skis and skins on the shore, then skinned up a mountain. Then you skied down to another fijord. Next morning you woke in yet another location and were rowed ashore ... etc.
Anyone here done a holiday like that?
ski holidays
Well, remaining on the BC theme, there's this:
http://www.motoryachtabsinthe.com/flash_version/Destinations/heliskiing.asp
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy