Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canada

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all. Three of us are looking to go to Canada next Jan or Feb for 11 days. Any advice on where is best to go stay transfer times etc would be good. Looking at catered chalets if possible but hotels ski in out also good.

Simon
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very few catered chalets in Canada..............
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Simon,

We've been to Whistler for the last 2 years. It is the best resort I've been to in 20+yrs of skiing in Europe, you will not be disappointed. We're going again next March for 15 nights.

Transfers from Vancouver are c.2-2.5 hours. Lots of options - car, coach, train.

There are a few (not many) catered chalets provided by Skiworld & Crystal. We've always done chalets in Europe but due to the enormous choice of restaurants in Whistler we have stayed in The Fairmont Chateau (2010) & The Sundial (2011). The Sundial was far better for us as it's a Condo so you get a full kitchen with appliances giving you real flexibility for breakfast & dinners in if you want. It also means you can fill the fridge with beer, wine, etc !!!! We're staying at The Westin next March.

There are loads of ski in/out properties in all of the 3 main villages :

Upper Village (Blackcomb) is quieter but gives you direct access onto Blackcomb mountain.
Whistler Village (Whistler) is definitely the busiest (& noisiest) as that's where everything is. It's also where the gondolas for both mountains leave from (Whistler & Blackcomb).
Creekside is the quietest but has a real good atmosphere and is also generally a bit cheaper.

The resort is small so easy to walk around but there is a great bus service should you need it.

The choice of bars & restaurants is huge and making a decision of where to eat is tough !!!

The drawbacks :

Lift Pass isn't cheap !
Food & drink not cheap - however, if you've ski'd in the 3V / Espace Killy / Paradiski you'll find it cheaper than any of them.

Once you've had a proper look into WB PM me if you want specific information.

You won't regret it I promise. Cool
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Simon380, What sort of skiing/resorts you into? What are you looking for? Whistler is the obvious mega place (but not so mega as you'll be lead to believe), but there are lots of smaller resorts which make you actually feel like you are skiing in Canada and where it doesn't rain as much.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BCjohnny wrote:
Very few catered chalets in Canada..............

At least one exists. Stayed there several years ago. Fantastic place - but it was run by a different couple then - so no guarantees now. IIRC I went with Ski America - and I see they still do Chalet deals - though not to Fernie, these days.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
achilles, agreed, but that's why I said very few, not non-existant. They tend to be the significant exception, not the rule, certainly when compared to, say, the alps.

Quote:
What sort of skiing/resorts you into? What are you looking for? Whistler is the obvious mega place (but not so mega as you'll be lead to believe), but there are lots of smaller resorts which make you actually feel like you are skiing in Canada and where it doesn't rain as much.
wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Simon380, while not a chalet, this place http://www.earlgreylodge.com/ in Panorama is a very plush B&B with fine dining, very near the slops.. We had a meal there last season and loved the place - Phil, the owner is a great host. Transfers are about 4 hrs from Calgary.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
my one and only experience in Canada was two weeks in Whistler, we stayed in Creekside - used alluradirect.com. you can ski over to Whistler, also there is a pretty frequent bus and the occassional taxi for the late nights. Creekside seemed much more reasonable than Whistler itself and Dusty's is cool to ski into at the end of the day
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
achilles, That looks like just a B+B though from their website Confused If so they are numerous around BC and Alberta Madeye-Smiley

Restaurants are plentiful and reasonably priced ( well they were before the xchange rate hit bottom) so a B+B is really all you need.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi all. Thanks for all the usefull info. Last year we managed a week in Meribel a week in Le Tanya and a week in Mayhofen and pretty much the same the year before. The reason for mentioning chalets was that we stayed in 2 last year and had should a good time we promised our selfs to stay in more.
Every one we spoke too says how good it can be in Canada so we thought we would give it a try.
Any views on booking flights, hotel's seperate or going with a package type?

Simon
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Simon,

We've used Ski Safari both years. But there's loads of choice of operators that do Whistler. You can organise yourself but when I looked at doing so for next March I just couldn't get near the price offered by Ski Safari - I have no link to them other than being a very satisfied customer.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Think Fernie has a catered independant chalet run by brits:

http://www.canadianpowdertours.com/rates.html

No idea what its like though
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Simon380 wrote:
Every one we spoke too says how good it can be in Canada so we thought we would give it a try.
Any views on booking flights, hotel's seperate or going with a package type?

Simon

If you want something very specific, or a multi hill trip, go diy, if not you're probably better off going TO (though they also offer two centre trips). If you can, leave it 'til the last minute to book if possible. If you need to book earlier then get on the mailing lists and look out for any deals. Things like, for instance, two for one lift passes can make a massive difference to the basic cost of a trip to Ca.

As regards WB, it's a fantastic place, and everyone should go there at least once, but, as pointed out, it's not the be all and end all, as some people seem to think. Indeed it's probably the least "Canadian" of all the hills you'll encounter. Sure you'll get the great Canadian hospitality, similar food/beer, and magnificent views/terrain, but other places offer more local experience. Fernie for one, KH, even Panorama, Jasper........

Canada is a fantastic place, and completely unlike europe. Enjoy.

p.s. Probably stating the obvious but I think it's fair to say that the concensus would suggest keep west, as the eastern hills have less to offer.

JMO.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Simon,

Limited Ski-in / ski-out in Canada as well. Think this has been covered in previous threads but if you go that way you may find yourself a long way from the main entertainment (e.g Fernie the town is not at the lifts so you have to choose). I would just accept that Canada is "different" and plan a multi-resort road trip from either Vancouver or Calgary.

What type / level do you ski at?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We book flights and condos separately and visit a couple of resorts. We either hire a car(4X4) or prebook transfers.
Love the condos full kitchens/laundry and the hot tubs, we have been lucky to find lots of ski in ski out.
snow conditions
Simon380, if you're used to Meribel and the Ziller valley, you may find many Canadian resorts have very limited piste skiing and absolutely no nightlife. Whistler's the obvious exception, though, but it has drawbacks - I hear that it's relatively big, crowded and expensive; that's why I've never bothered going.

You've said nothing about what makes a great skiing holiday for you. Do you want motorway pistes or to pick your way through rocks on gnarly steeps? Do you want to party all night or would you prefer to go to bed early so that you can catch the first lift in the morning? Do you like skiing the same route repeatedly until you've mastered it, or do you want every run to be a new experience? Without those answers, it's hard for anyone to recommend a resort without simply citing their own personal preferences.
snow report
Jonny Jones wrote:

You've said nothing about what makes a great skiing holiday for you. Do you want motorway pistes or to pick your way through rocks on gnarly steeps? Do you want to party all night or would you prefer to go to bed early so that you can catch the first lift in the morning? Do you like skiing the same route repeatedly until you've mastered it, or do you want every run to be a new experience? Without those answers, it's hard for anyone to recommend a resort without simply citing their own personal preferences.
you can do all of the above at whistler IMO thats what makes it such a great place. Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy