Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mono Vs Dual

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I've read the stuff in the top post, which describes someof the differences in equipment, but can you tell me what the relative pros and cons are of mono ski vs dual ski in terms of performance? Is one better than the other for certain disciplines? I am going to start adaptive skiing this winter and am keen to find out a bit more about it before I get started. I'm going to go to the Exeter dry slope, and may go and get some lessons in at Tamworth before then (roll on the hopeful building of the new slope at Weston!!!), but intend to spend the season in the UK with a trip up to Scotland next year maybe.

Also, what boots are best to get? I know ski boots can be quite rigid, or they certainly used to be, but as we are sat down does it really matter? Could I get away with 4 season walking boots, which is what I normally wear for everyday use, or do I need to be looking at getting a pair of snowboard or ski boots?

Another thought, how much is a sitski, I mean an all in price with skis, outriggers etc; what's a ballpark figure for purchasing your own kit..? Any other advice, hints and tips would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Chris Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Chris,
Welcome on Snowheads, I am sure you will find here all info you are looking for Smile and well done for getting into skiing I am sure you wont regret it!

Answering to your question regarding equipment. Choosing the right equipment is crucial for learning as well as skiing in the future. There is quite a few models of various sit skis on the market, some of them are less or more suitable to different skiers. Wrong equipment can make it very difficult for you to learn how to ski or can delay the whole process, on the other hand getting the right sit ski can compensate your disability and will make it much easier to learn and progress all the way to independent skier. When getting the sit ski it is important to take into consideration disability (eg.what level and type if spinal cord injury), age, fitness level and if you do other sports, beginner/intermediate or advanced skier, how often and where do you ski. e.g. If you are just starting and want to be recreational skier you dont need advanced/race piece of kit. I am more than happy to recommend you on some kit but need to have some more info regarding your ability etc., please email me on dom@activetherapy.eu

Trying in the UK is not a bad idea, however just to let you know that combination of mono-ski and plastic doesn't work the best and you will be better off going to snow dome. Bi-ski and plastic works a bit better so if you have a long way to one of the snow domes you can give it a go on dry slope (still wont be as good as snow).

The best for skiing in a sit ski are some warm winter boots, def. no ski boots! You can get away with hiking shoes but if skiing on the mountain might be not warm enough as not all hiking boots have much insulation. Depending as well on model of your sit ski - they have various footrests, so you will need shoes that will fit into.

If you are thinking about your own kit as I said earlier on it depends on your needs. If you are looking for a desent standard mono-ski kit is about £2650

Hope it helps a bit, please let me know if you have any more questions Smile .
Regards, Dom
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Dom,

Great info thanks. Did email you and am just about to read your reply.

Chris
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy