Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

fixie riders...

Poster: A snowHead
I am toying with the dark side and wondering about a road bike to supplement my MTBing, I have a hard tail I am going to sell to help the funds...

Then I started thinking about getting a fixie....

It'd mainly be used for to/from the gym, hockey club, maybe odd lunchtime and evening rides...

But this May day bank holiday my friends all did a huge 3 day road ride with some massive hills (likely to do similiar next year), so I guess there is no way I'd cope on a fixie, which then takes me back to a 'real' road bike with gears etc...

Interested in snowheads thoughts...

Cheers,

Greg
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kitenski, You cannot afford a new bike Very Happy you have BASI courses to pay for...once you start you will not be able to stop.......
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kevindonkleywood, Need to get the summer bike fix before BASI Wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
What's a fixie?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hybrid compromise?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Unless you're actually competing or riding track I don't see the attraction of a fixie. Get a decent road bike to supplement the mountian biking. Don't get a hybrid compromise, they're utterly pointless.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fixies are for the track or for having horrendous accidents when cornering. Don't be daft.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
do you mean fixie or single speed? i used to commute on a Genesis Flyer which was pretty cool. you could turn it into a fixie by flipping round the back wheel but i never saw the point. my commute was fairly flat so lack of gears wasn't an issue but there were one or two places where i would hit a speed limit. for me, the simplicity of no gears appealed, and i felt that the money you weren't spending on gears etc was going elsewhere on better spec on the bike. i'm not a cycling nerd so probably had the wool pulled over my eyes on that one...

anyway, one thing i would say is that riding a single speed up lots of hills isn't good for your knees
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clarky999, it's a bike which won't freewheel. Which sounds quite pointless and annoying, frankly. Unless it's for BMX stylee tricks etc.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski, as Arno, says many Fixies have a flip flop rear wheel which has a freewheel on one side. I doubt you would use the Fixed side its really annoying pedalling down hills and it makes you look like a tw#t doing that stupid balance thing at traffic lights.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Have used one as a training bike in the winter with a 72 inch fixed gear for years. Super as a winter bike as no gears to get gunked up, makes you work hard and have a smooth pedalling style, and no pushing huge gears which is what stuffs knees, back etc

Its takes a while to get used to it however, and don't lose it going down hills, much worse than going up. Can use just a front brake, but mine has back as well...just in case.

Just a bit of a pain when you are very tired as there is no escape!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Having never ridden one my main question would be why?

I can see the point if you are commuting in flat cities in winter but otherwise what is the disadvantage of gears other than slightly heavier a bit more maintenance and a small amount of extra weight. In turn you get the ability to go up reasonable hills without knackering your knees or stopping to get off and not having your legs go like a sewing machine on the way down.

I have a friend who does a fair bit of cycling and has a fixie amongst about five other bikes but the fixie does not get out much.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
T Bar, Its for winter training....cadence is everything, means you work all the time, develop a smooth style and there are no distractions, no fiddling with gears etc. I can get up all the hills on my training runs with that gear, some are a bit tough, buts its training so its supposed to be like that! The biggest problem i find is doing the odd sprint and at the start of the winter you sometimes forget to keep peddling.......it has interesting consequences Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

you sometimes forget to keep peddling

Selling onions, I presume. Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
T Bar wrote:
Having never ridden one my main question would be why?

1. To look like a NYC cycle courier?
2. Because he's got a few hundred quid burning a hole in his pocket?

I wouldn't recommend a fixed wheel (and I used to ride a lot of banked track racing as a kid) but a single speed freewheel bike is good for commuting where it is fairly flat, or a Nexus/Rohloff type hub.
snow report
Surely you can buy a standard road bike and swap out the chain and gear set for a flippy fixed wheel? I'm pretty sure I know people who do this, largely because commuting in London in the winter destroys your derailleur.
snow report
zammo, not necessarily. you need some ability to move the rear wheel back and forth to get the chain tension right which bikes with derailleurs don't always have. alternatively you can get mini chain tensioner thingies (technical term)
snow conditions
zammo, As Arno, said, more modern geared frame rear drop outs won't work very well as even if you get the chain tension right, you can't adjust it if it stretches a bit. Older frames with adjustable drop outs will work at a pinch, did this once on an old winter bike, the chain tension usually went slack, or i pulled the wheel over. You can get proper second hand fixed frames reasonably easily.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy