Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flachau in December

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking of going to Flachau this December, but am worried about potential lack of snow,

I would actually prefer Ischgl, but getting to Flachau via public transport is easier.

Does anyone have experience going to Salzburger Sportwelt area that time of year?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ysb33r, I'll be interested in the answer as I'm buying a rental apartment there in the next few weeks and could be after a cheeky trip myself before the new year and the rental season really starts.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 9-06-11 15:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ysb33r, Never had a problem and we were skiing there at the end of November the last couple of years. Season ticket runs from the beginning of December (usually the first weekend) to end of April.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ysb33r, Really shouldn't be an issue in December, loads of snow making if mother nature doesn't do the business. Schladming down the road has opened in Oct or Nov for the last 5 years since I've been coming here. The last time I looked a week or so ago there was still some snow at the top of Flachau.Samerberg Sue, I thought the ski amade & SalzburgSuper season pass started in Nov and run through til May?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
waynos, No, first weekend of December as a rule - I had to buy a day ticket in November, even though I had my season ticket in my pocket Sad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Samerberg Sue, mine started on the 20th November last season....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
flangesax, Did it? So why did Ange and I have to buy day tickets at the Kitz? I had the season ticket and so did she.

ysb33r, see whatever month it starts, December is more than safe Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Someone recommended Neustift in Stubaital today, but my brother reckons he's been there in December before and they had no snow, so everyone was up on the Stubai glacier.

Choices, choices ...

Thanks for the feedback on Flachau though, I am a bit more confident about going there.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Samerberg Sue, You should ask for a refund, http://www.salzburgsuperskicard.com/eng/tid_season-pass_129494/direktlink.html
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
waynos, Why should I? I got excellent value over the whole season, so I'm happy enough. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If there is no snow in Flachau then most of Austria will be bare or unbearably busy.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ysb33r, I always start my season in Flachau, never had a problem so far. Ski Amade has the best snow-making system, if they do not have snow, then no other (non glacier) resorts in Austria either.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ysb33r, Other things to consider... (although Flachau will be safe), jump on the bus to Flachau Winkl / Zauchensee... !!

Samerberg Sue, Just had a chat with Ange... she definitely used her Salzburger Super Card for the Kitz in November as we would never pay for a day pass!.... too tight for splashing the cash aboot like that!

The pass started from the 6th November last season!.... I hope it does again this year too!

http://www.salzburgsuperskicard.com/ab/eng/index.html
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
flangesax, It was earlier I think and probably not with Ange then - who cares now, I know that December is covered which is what the original post was all about! rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Thinking of going to Flachau this December, but am worried about potential lack of snow
Waist deep powder on first ever (3 day) visit to Flachau in mid-December last year! It was my birthday too - happy days Very Happy. Really looking forward to going back at some point.
latest report
Obertauern Is my choice for first week dec, done it about 3 or 4 times now. Obertauern can be absolutely fantastic, usually has good snow cover, little or no risk..
snow report
I am pretty torn now. I can get reasonable accommodation in both Flachau and Stubaital. hHaving never been to either and wanting to go in December it is becoming a difficult choice.

A lot of good things heard about Flachau here, and judging from the piste map a lot of blue & reds above Flachau & Flachauwinkl.

Stubaital, on the other hand, has all of that skiiing on the glacier as well as some otehr smaller pistes. It is also marginally cheaper, but I am concerned that crowds might be high in the week just before December

Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
ysb33r, Note that from Flachau you can ski over to Wagrain, another quite large ski resort, or from the Winkl go over to Zauchansee which again is another whole resort, with some very good off piste. Don't know about Stubaital so can't really comment. From Flachau Kaprun glacier or Dachstein glacier are possible. Obertauern is only 30mins drive away (not sure on buses) not glacier but higher, mostly above tree line, which ain't so great when vis is bad. I can't imagine the snow would be that bad in Dec that you'd need to hunt out glaciers if you went to Flachau.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy