Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon Lords or Dynastar Sultan 85

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
After having done quite a bit of research can't make my mind up between these two skis. I assume this is the best time of the year to purchase them due to lower prices? There is no point waiting for next years models is there?

This is the first time I will be buying skis. Normally ski piste aspiring torwards a greater extent of off piste and park. I'm relatively short at 175cm (5 foot 9) and light 60 kilos (9 stone).

To factor in has to be the length of the skis as I'm use to 170s and the Dynastars are only available in 172cm and Lords in 169cm and 177cm. Is this a negligable difference in length? Am I right in thinking the 177cms will be too long for my height and weight? Will the 169cm considerably limit speed performance on piste?

I get the impression the Lords are more versatile being better off piste and in the park, is this right due to the twin tips and slightly greater width (87 as opposed to 85)? Which is most likely to be best in hard packed/icy conditions? or once again is it a case of little difference?

Have read that Salomon's previous models have had problems with delaminating. Is this merely cosmetic or has significant side effects?

Both come with bindings and Dyanstar's are £325 compared £395 for the Lords. Wondering why the Sultans are so much cheaper?

Cheers.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Sultan's are ace skis, carve really well on piste (good tortional stiffness = good edge hold, fairly stiff flex = stable at speed) - they ski a lot like a fatter gs ski. Better float in powder than you'd think for the width, but where they really excel is variable/cruddy/powdery/dust-on-crusty/even icy bumps - they're really versatile. 172 would be great for you (although you would get used to a few cm's longer). Plus you get the great Dynastar build quality (Salomon don't have the best rep for that, although I have no experience of it). That's a good price too, usually they seem to be circa £500 with bindings.

Lords aren't proper twins, they have a half raised tail (like the Sultan), although as they are softer flexing they may still be better in the park. I haven't skied them myself, but friends who have liked them, although not so much on piste.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
clarky999, Cheers for your reply. The only reason why I'm still considering the Lords is a qoute on an old thread I found:

"I've used both skis in the same sizes and I prefer Salomon Lords (in fact I'm looking for a pair to buy). I'm not a design/industry expert but they just felt more powerful and livelier, along with having better float off-piste."

"The Sultan is smoother and the Lord slightly livelier"

Another question is what ski bag to buy for carraige, will 1 pair of skis and POLES easily fit in a ski bag designed for 1 pair of skis. Sounds like a dim question, but it seems that there are lots more bags for 2 pairs of skis on the market.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Get the biggest cheapest bag you can find, then stuff all your clothes, boots and ski kit in it. A one pair bag will easily take a pair and poles though.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think you have found a very good price for the Sultans. Where is that from? I'd be tempted at that price - maybe worth grouping together to negotiate a bit more?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I am looking to buy a pair of the Sultans after having tried the Lords.
The Lords, to me, felt to soft and almost floppy. Which is a disappointment as I love my Sally racing skis and most other sallys I have had over the last 30 years.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i have pair of sultan 85's 09/10 seasons in 184 love them get a pair!! Toofy Grin
Might sell you mine if you make me sensible offer?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy