Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting my 4 year old started

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

Can I pick your brains on the right age and method to introduce my daughter to skiing. She is a fearless girl and has seen videos of me skiing and says that she wants to have a go. I have taken her to Chill factor to see people skiing and she wanted to have a go. We live in Huddersfield and can get to Castleford and Chill factor in 40 mins, so either is an option.

What age is the earliest to get her having a go?
What is the best way to introduce her? I dont want to scare her off.

Many thanks in advance
Smag
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
smagsmith, ...I started both of my chidren at 2 and a half - they messed around on a slope outside a restaurant in Switzerland for around an hour at a time (then three hours off to have hot chocolate and do some tobogganing). We'd plod up the slope and then they would ski down maybe 30 metres to another adult waiting to catch them/chivvy them on/tell them to turn more. It was then made more interesting by having to turn round poles, but again, same plod up (often carrying them), short run, and only a few minutes rather than half a day out. Once they had enough confidence and an initial grasp of technique they had tuition, with mastering button lifts being a key priority. We did this for a couple of years - from 2 and a half to age four. They really started skiing with earnest when they were 4, at which point they could go over most of the mountain. The last season was the first when we could all ski, all day, all over the mountain together - they are now 5 and 7. Top tips - good clothing for them, good quality skis (and keep them short), and never going out when they don't want to.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
smagsmith, Take her along to a snowdome and get her into one of the kiddies classes with one of their instructors. Little ones learn differently to adults and ive seen many a little one put off skiing by parents (usually dads Sad ) getting upset that they 'cant do' things they think should be easy.

Between Chill and Castleford I would choose Chill every time for beginners lessons as the nursery area is much better and from what i have observed the instruction at chill is better (and the snow quality is better)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
smagsmith, as kevindonkleywood says; get them along to a kids class; make sure it is a small group; young kids learn best in small groups as there is "just enough" peer pressure to urge them on.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No problem with a well balanced/coordinated 4 year old - although I've seen less athletic 6 year olds still struggle. You know your own child better than we do but as a rule of thumb I'd say that if they can mange peddling and steering a bike (even with stabilisers) at the same time they're probably ready to start skiing. But keep your expectations low - little and often, and let them dictate when they've had enough/when they want to move on.

This has been posted here before - but when
this video was taken our youngest was just 22 months, which just shows that it's perfectly possible to get pre-schoolers skiing (for purposes of comparison his older brother was 7 when this was taken).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Okanagan, Lovely video. The fearlessness of youth

Everyone else... thanks for the advice. I will take her to Chill factor to see what they have on offer

cheers
Smag
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
smagsmith, To add a little more; if you can; book the little one into a small group lesson (ours are max 4 per instructor at Welwyn during the ski club); a little bit of peer pressure will help your Daughter to be motivated and she may make new friends for life. We have some families who's kids met in Kindergarden lessons and now race together!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
smagsmith, I highly recommend the instructors at Chill Factor e, they are a great bunch and very good and experienced with little kids. I would try their Infant Ski Academy for ages 4-6, saturday mornings 1 hour a week for 3 weeks per block. My son started off with them too aged 4 and had a superb grounding before holidays, he race trains now but only when he feels like it Laughing Oh and one more thing, go now whilst it is relatively quiet rather than in the run up to and during the season snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy