Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

anyone intersted in making up a group to France with Eurostar overnight in Feb 2012

Poster: A snowHead
Last year I organised 8 days skiing in Meribel in a catered chalet with Skiworld for £750 (£100 less if flew, 6 days skiing), including ski hire and lift pass and would like to do something similar next year (early Feb time) but everyone else has some reason for saying "sorry, not this time" so is anyone interested in making up a group / is there a group who would welcome a 56 year old male intermediate skier? ie likes Reds and Blues but not so keen on Greens and Blacks, aspires to moguls, but has taught someone to ski cos they wouldn't pay for lessons!

Haydn from Bedfordshire
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi,
I would be interested, i haven't been for many years and think it's about time i got back on the slopes but have nobody to go with Crying or Very sad
My level shouldn't have dropped to the extent that i would be a burden!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hleaker, jpshannon, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead Hope you get something sorted. If you are going to France it's well worth avoiding the very busy French holiday weeks, from 6 February to 8 March next year (unless you specially enjoy lift queues wink )
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, my info tells me 12th Feb to 11th March?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Du Samedi, 11 Fev au Samedi, 10 Mars, apparently:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=76752

And I imagine that the middle two weeks (18 Feb - 3 Mar) will be worst.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hells Bells, AH - thanks. I'd better look again, more carefully.... important dates, those!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
my fault, misinterpreting information (a bit confusing, I think) on frenchproperty.com)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
... best that we aim for w/c 28 jan to avoid all those kids! Thanks for the reminder Pam et al.

Hi jpshannon - sounds like you're in a similar situation to me. Used to go with my boys but now they're 25 and 21 and prefer to take their holidays with friends - what a surprise! Last year it took me until mid week to get back to where I was 4 years previous - one reason I like the overnight train is the extra days you get so you can easier justify easy days or a break in the middle. I'm sure it'll all come flooding back to you. My vision is to gather a diverse group so there's a standard for everyone but who knows who'll show interest ........
Cheers, Haydn
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Last year it took me until mid week to get back to where I was 4 years previous

a two hour private lesson on Day 1 is the answer! Especially if conditions are a bit difficult.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
hleaker,
Haydn, We are a the remnants of a group of 16 last year and only 2 or 3 for 2012!
Aware of the ever lengthening of `FRench school hols we went last week in Jan last year to Morzine and it was too early and as an aside hideously expensive.
We are looking at Austria or Italy as a change and wondered whether you had perhaps looked at that as an option.
We would be looking at catered Chalet style accom, not paying much more than £450-£500 for the week either 1st or 2nd week in Feb. What about you?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi Thirsty,
Very much have an open mind so Italy or Austria would be great - I liked train to france because it gave us extra days and was easy to take my boots - I don't bother taking my skis because of all the hassle, especially when flying, so like the idea of an "all in" deal. Maybe 1st week in Feb might be a safer bet to avoid the school holidays? Very happy to keep cost down - Meribel also had silly prices. Regards, Haydn PS From what jpshannon wrote I would guess a similar response??
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi, I'm new here. Very glad to have found this place! I missed out on skiing for the first time in 10 years last winter and don't want it to happen again. The group (my late-husband's family) that I used to ski with has fragmented/moved/gone to uni/etc. So here I am in 'flaming' June checking out the possibilities. I'm 55 and a skier for pleasure rather than challenge (that is, I have no interest in launching myself down a semi-sheer drop, or always belting back down to the lifts as fast as possible). Rather shamingly, I've only ever skied at one place - Combloux/Megeve - but it's time for some new challenges! So I'd be interested in taking a place on this trip if things start to gel. I'm freelance so timing is flexible, delighted to keep costs down, and speak reasonable French if that would be any use, though also open to other destinations. Fay
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi Fay - welcome aboard! I hope I'm not being too hopeful in saying that we are beginning to get enough people together to say that at least some of us will definitey do something. Haydn
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi everyone,
Well I reckon we have potentially 6 of us so is it time to confirm interest and try and find a deal that will suit all of us? Looking forward to hearing from you, many regards, Haydn

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 6-07-11 9:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hleaker,

Haydn I would remove your e-mail address if I were you. People can reply using the pm system, top right for a link. I know it's not France but have you considereded the Birthday Bash? http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=77487.

ps you could leave it till later and try this http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1317860/Austrias-Green-Lake-The-park-lake-summer.html wink
snow report
Does anyone know the date that Eurostar daytime ski train tickets are released ifirc it was Late July last year?
ski holidays
Last year it was Sept - 3 Sept was when Skiworld confirmed to me that our Eurostar seats were booked. Haydn
snow report
Hi. New to this forum. if this trip is still planned to go ahead, then please let me know, what is being decided. Im single male, 59..not skied for a few years..but decent intermediate. Im english, but live in spain. Love catered chalet style of holidays.
latest report
Hi
I too have just joined the forum and have just found your post. I'm looking to join a group of skiers for next year - I'm male, late 50's and although I've skied many times I still regard myself as a cautious intermediate. As I'm self employed I'm fairly relaxed on dates etc. so please let me know of any plans you might have.
snow conditions
hleaker wrote:
Last year it was Sept - 3 Sept was when Skiworld confirmed to me that our Eurostar seats were booked. Haydn

is this group now shut off?? I ask, because no one has responded to my request from last week, and now there is also an additional request from someone else. If it is shut off, then please let us know, and in which case, those not included, might be able to start up another small grouping.
I await and hope for some response please if you have a moment...positive or negative.
thanks
snow report
Quote:

Does anyone know the date that Eurostar daytime ski train tickets are released ifirc it was Late July last year?

According to the Eurostar website Eurostar Ski tickets go on sale on 25 July.
snow report
visage wrote:
hleaker wrote:

is this group now shut off?? I ask, because no one has responded to my request from last week, and now there is also an additional request from someone else. If it is shut off, then please let us know, and in which case, those not included, might be able to start up another small grouping.
I await and hope for some response please if you have a moment...positive or negative.
thanks

Far from being 'shut off', I don't think the 'group' even exists - yet. Don't panic!
snow report
visage,

hleaker may not have been on the forum since your post, you could try sending him a PM (personal message) using the send/read messages feature at the top of the page.
latest report
ok...will wait till he comes back on the site, and see what progress news there is. thanks

anarchicsaltire wrote:
visage,

hleaker may not have been on the forum since your post, you could try sending him a PM (personal message) using the send/read messages feature at the top of the page.
snow conditions
Hi all,
As far as I am concerned the "project" is still very much alive. I posted on 4 July asking for people to confirm their interest but didn't appear to have had any response to this ................................
My next step would have been to offer 3 choices - 1. France / Eurostar 2. Austria or Italy as suggested by Thirsty 3. join the Birthday bash.
I'm still very happy to take a lead in arrangements but obviously need to know who seriously wants to join in.
Regards to all, and hope that we do get to meet! Haydn
(PS gap was because I was away diving)
snow report
Im interested for sure ...and my preference would be austria, on the basis that the food and service and people are better...and the villages are prettier.
anytime other than school holidays for me..as prefer lower costs and less busier slopes...and like a decent quality catered chalet.
cheers
snow report
hleaker - of the three, the birthday bash would be my least favourite. I'm fairly relaxed on choices one or two although never having been on the Eurostar before I'm not too sure about things such as timings, any changes or is it striaght through and will we be restricted to only certain French resorts etc. Personally I'd prefer a quieter resort .....less queuing for lifts, price of lift pass not excessive etc
ski holidays
Hi Royall,
Thanks for the feedback. I'll summarise when I got more responses.
As to the Eurostar it left St Pancras at about 8pm and we arrived Moutiers about 6am, straight through. Were at chalet before 10am I think. Return 11pm and arrived London about 8am. Yes, you are limited to some French resorts - but there was no lift queuing at all in Meribel last year. Good is that you get 2 extra days and much better travel times - filghts were 8am leaving Gatwick and 10am leaving Geneva - others left chalet at 4.30am! Bad is that you try to sleep in a seat. Group can split between those who want to fly and those who prefer the train. Agree Austria and Italy can be prettier but there is something to be said for the "purpose built up" type of resorts. My "target" re pricing is £100 per day all in - wherever we end up! Cheers, Haydn
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

we went last week in Jan last year to Morzine and it was too early Puzzled

Interesting comment. But what was "too early" about late January? Puzzled
ski holidays
I'm definitely still interested! My first preference would be France - partly because I can speak reasonable French but mainly just because I love France. But am quite happy with other options (perhaps Italy over Austria). Don't mind Eurostar or flying. Haven't looked into the Birthday Bash so can't express an opinion but will go and do so. I'm freelance, so flexible on dates.
ski holidays
Haydn
Thanks for the info re: Eurostar - France/Eurostar/late Jan or early Feb is fine by me.

Mike
ski holidays
Hi all,
You may have wondered why all went quiet from me – well the reason is that a friend suggested I apply for a job as a ski rep for school parties during half term and Easter. Subsequently I have just been offered work with TUI so shan’t be progressing an independent opportunity to ski.

Here is the draft I had prepared before being taken off on a tangent in case anyone is prepared to pick up where I left off. I am actually sorry I shan’t be organising this but in these economic times I’m afraid compromises have to be made

Here’s the summary of those who are interested and a couple of suggestions for feedback:

Haydn (hleaker) 1 Male
Mick (Thirsty) 4 Male
Fay (Fayfran) 1 Female
Peter (Visage) 1 Male
Mike (Royall) 1 Male
Pat 1 Female

Hi Haydn,

The Ski All In promotion is only available on the 14th January, 4th February and 18th February weeks. I have priced up a ski All In promotion in chalet Inoko in Val d’Isere and chalet Trois S in Courcheval, both on the 4th February, unfortunately the group discount does not apply to this deal though. I have kept the travel supplement for the Eurostar. Room 5 in the Inoko as a triple and room 3 in the Trois S as a triple.
The Ski All In promotion includes a local area lift pass and silver ski hire.

Chalet Inoko, Val d'Isere
4th February Rm 2,3,4,5
Basic - Adult 9 £6,471.00
Room Supplements £84.00
Room Reductions -£105.00
Travel Supplements £351.00
Loyalty Discount -£225.00
Total 9 £6,576.00
Avg per person £730.67

Chalet Trois S, Courcheval
4th February Rm 1,2,3,5
Basic - Adult 9 £7,011.00
Room Supplements £168.00
Travel Supplements £351.00
Loyalty Discount -£225.00

Total 9 £7,305.00
Avg per person £811.67I then replied

Hi Jenny,

Once again thanks for the info but I have more questions – what a surprise – but these “all in” prices are more about what we expect to pay.
when is half term?
I quite like the sound of Chalet Trois – what would be a comparable price for the week before, w/c 28 Jan and how much difference / times for anyone who might prefer to fly rather than Eurostar overnight? Do prices you quoted include extra days ski pass / hire that go alongside Eurostar overnight?

I would like to present 2 or 3 options to the group for around the £700 - £800 mark – one for France / Eurostar overnight and maybe 1 or 2 others for flying, say to Switzerland – so may I ask for flying times etc and an idea of lift pass / ski hire coasts for the say the Chalet Hautes Cimes, Nendaz, that you quoted on the first email.

Unfortunately the Trois S chalet is not available on the week commencing the 28th January, however it is on the 21st January and the Inoko is available on the 28th January week. If any of your group would prefer to fly then there would be a £39pp deduction from travel supplements.

Eurostar travel gains you 8 days skiing so a lift pass supplement of 2 days would be required on top of the All In price which would be £54pp for a local pass or £107pp for a full area pass.

Chalet Haute Cimes, Nendaz
6 day adult local area lift pass (Nendaz only) - £218
6 day adult full area lift pass (4 valleys) - £277
6 day adult silver skis and boots – £107
6 day adult gold skis and boots – £144

The quote for this chalet includes flights from Gatwick to Geneva and the flight time is 6.00am. Let me know if you would like me to price it up again including these additional supplements.

All from Jenny James of Skiworld jjames@skiworld.ltd.uk
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy