Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The best piste ski you can buy

Poster: A snowHead
this season i'm doing instructor training and i'm going to need to get a set of skis. i've already got a pair of freestyle skis that i plan to use in the park/off piste, which were relatively cheap so i don't really mind them getting battered.

what i'm looking for now is a really good piste/slalom/carving ski. something that is just brilliant in those aspects really, it doesn't have to be able to go off piste or anything at all, literally just for that as i'll use my other pair for anything else. in regards to price limit, obviously there is one, but i can probably spend around 700euros maximum all in really,

if anyone had any advice that'd be brilliant!

cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
HEAD iSupershape.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Any decent 2nd hand slalom skis then you'll have a bit of budget left over for some rockered pow skis for days you're "off sick".

More seriously most people will probably recommend a near FIS spec SL ski as the "best" piste ski but you might want something a bit more forgiving day in day out.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Especially when everyday (assuming you're just starting the instructor stuff) will involve lots of snowploughing. The main advice on skis before my Anwarter was "not race skis."
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rossi GS 8's, a cheat oversize GS ski.

A longer radius than a SL ski, wide enough to be OK off piste, flexible enough not to restrict your technical development.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pdx, wouldn't go for a race ski, but I'd want Rossi 9 rather than 8. SO or XO (or Mutix if you must)...

Played on some 9SOs in January and I could easily spend all day on them, any conditions, snowploughing or not.

Most manufacturers have something similar.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I like Head Magnums personally for pure piste and you do see a lot of instructors on them too - although some do find them a bit soft for their liking. They have plenty of grip, but also quite versatile and not too demanding. I find balls out no compromise slalom skis to be a bit tiring for all day use on piste.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
uktrailmonster, hence something like the 9S Oversize!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pdx,
This - http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/en/stocklilasersc1011-p-8245.html
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
^ this.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pdx, ^yup and a decent price too...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Vist superfont2, best I've ever skiied....however thats not many!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name, the 8 was on special offer, but it's fine.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I´ve got a set of rossi zenith 10 oversize multix.

THay can take all that I can throw at them. Admittedly that aint much but I love them.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
But if you want something a wee bit faster then....... without a doubt...... Nordika Dobermann Spitfire.

I´d probably buy these now. Happy
ski holidays
Or even Nordica Happy
latest report
cheers for all the advice guys!

Spyderman, uktrailmonster, my father used these on our last ski trip and did enjoy them a lot, and i did see quite a few instructors using them myself actually too.

under a new name, these look pretty awesome from what i've read, but i cant find a place to buy them - do you know where you can? or will i have more luck in a resort?

Skier from Argentina, these again look quite good

i've also had a look t this site: http://www.onthesnow.co.uk/gear/ski_reviews/2011/list?&g=Male&c=Carvers&ud=1&o=overall

has anyone tried a Head Chip 66/71/78 or heard anything about it? same with the dynastar contact cross? if the reviews are to be believed these look really good...

cheers for all the advice again
snow conditions
pdx,
If you're looking for a good site for ski reviews, take a look at http://www.realskiers.com Even the free "30 second" reviews are pretty good.
snow report
While I remember, I had a chat with an experienced instructor recently ref Head Magnums which he was using at the time. He found them a bit soft for his taste and recommended Dynastar Contact 4x4 as an alternative. So another one for your shortlist!
ski holidays
pdx, if you're interested in a pair of head chip supershape 177cm that are lightely used let me know Very Happy
latest report
Roger C, maybe roger, how lightly is lightly? and are they last seasons model or an older one? have you got measurements for them?

cheers
latest report
hi pdx, they are these ones:

http://www.ski-review.com/ski_reviews/review/head_chip_supershape_2009/

121/71/107

used for about 14 days total, well looked after, never had a base grind
snow conditions
pdx, if you are asking under a new name re Stockli, the UK dealer is Incline Sports Edinburgh. Just type that in the google bar and you will get the website details.
snow report
pdx, Fischer Progressor 8 and sport conrad in germany has them quite cheap, plus others.

and as Skier from Argentina, said real skiers is good, and for $19 has heaps reviews back to 2000 Would be useful to put a list together.
latest report
Fischer RC4 Worldcup RC C-Line.........this ski rocks and can easily be skied all day long
latest report
The Stockli's are great ski's and because they will have a new top sheet next season they are a bargain, but if you are doing a season you might want something that blends into the crowd a little and has less thief appeal. Have a look at XSPO for the magnums I have heard a few good comments about the Titans as well, basically a fat GS ski.

To be honest though a pair of second hand skis might be best, because if they go missing its not the end of the world. If you get to know a few people you might also be able to strike a better deal through someone in resort anyway.
latest report
pdx, which system are you training under? Because you'll need to check if there are any specific sidecut requirements for skis.

(BASI have (or had?) a nominal 17m sidecut radius requirement for courses.)

Whatever you buy you'll need to make sure that you can ski them off-piste and in bumps. You're not allowed a caddy to ski behind you with your quiver...
snow report
FlyingStantoni wrote:
pdx, which system are you training under? Because you'll need to check if there are any specific sidecut requirements for skis.

(BASI have (or had?) a nominal 17m sidecut radius requirement for courses.)

Whatever you buy you'll need to make sure that you can ski them off-piste and in bumps. You're not allowed a caddy to ski behind you with your quiver...

i'm doing the BASI course with basecamp group, so not with BASI itself, and i don't think the course had a specific sidecut, at least they didn't when my brother did it/have not told me about it

obvs not, but i'll be able to find out from my instructors what we are doing the next day and will be able to take whichever ski i need to for that day, shouldn't be much of a problem at all. my brother said a lot of people had a freestyle twin tip, e.g. public enemies, as well as a piste ski, e.g. the rossi WC (an actual combination used by the best skier on that course)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pdx, Leave the twins at home if you are doing a BASI course they tend to force too wide a plough and your demo's may not be quite what they are looking for. If you are a great skiier you will be fine on either ski but the general feeling seems to be that if you rock up on twins you will get a hard time.

You don't want the 'best piste ski you can buy' what you need is a good comprimise ski, something you can perform to a good level on but that is fairly forgiving when you need to demo the central theme stuff, which is the bulk of the course, if you cant demo the central theme then you will not pass Sad You will get zero marks for riding switch or pulling tricks so take the best tools for the job.

FWIW For teachingi have 2 pairs of Salomon 24hrs 'race' skis, one shorter set for plastic and the others for snow They are for me a good comprimise. I keep the TT's for playtime Very Happy
snow report
kevindonkleywood +1

pdx wrote:
obvs not, but i'll be able to find out from my instructors what we are doing the next day and will be able to take whichever ski i need to for that day, shouldn't be much of a problem at all. my brother said a lot of people had a freestyle twin tip, e.g. public enemies, as well as a piste ski, e.g. the rossi WC (an actual combination used by the best skier on that course)

That might be true during the training, but not during the assessment. You will typcially do a complete mix of stuff depending on conditions. So, an hour of off-piste, an hour of bumps, Central Theme and teaching assessment and then short turns.

BASI Trainers generally want you to be able to ski. Not ski depending on what ski you're on.

The person who looks like the best skier on the course isn't necessarily the one that scores the best when assessed using the BASI system.

I'd encourage you to double check the sidecut requirement. There was some guidance issued - www.basi.org.uk/docs/equipmentChangesfinal.doc - but I'm not sure if it's still current.
snow report
I read it that the OP is doing a season so would be mad not to take a quiver of skis including some that can be more fun than battling a piste carver in off piste mank. If I understand it correctly a lot of these longer instructor training courses focus on general skiing skills so that's a different kettle of fish from turning up to the BASI assessment on rockered clown skis or flexy twin tip.
ski holidays
FWIW I did my instructor training (not BASI) on Dynastar Legend 8000's, which I reckon are about perfect for it (piste bias but still very capable in the variables and bumps). The current Sultan 80 or 85 would be great too. If you're doing a season you will want something fatter though.
latest report
head titan or magnum depending how heavy you are Vokl AC30 if you are on the even heavier end of the spectrum.. contact 4x4 are a top all rounder but pisted biased ski (not skied em myself but hear good things) atomic skier cross skis are pretty good as well

the head chip skis suck in bumps so i wouldnt go there...
ski holidays
I spent a ton of time thinking about this in a similar context (what ski to ski all year to train for my csia 3) and it came down to Head's Titan (too expensive), Magnum (too soft), and Dynastar's Contact 4x4 (potentially a bit stiff), and Contact Cross Ti (bit soft). I went with Contact 4x4s in a 178 (at 6'4, 220lbs). I think I could of got away with Cross Ti's in a 178 or 4x4s in a 172, but I'm not dissapointed with my choice. Very very rewarding on groomers, a little more hard work than I really want in hard bumps and deeper snow. Definitely a ski that rewards aggressive technical skiing and tries to kill you if you're lazy. From reviews I've read the 172 is a lot more forgiving in these aspects.

FlyingStantoni's points are very relevant too - you really don't want to be stuck with a ski that's uber unforgiving off piste, and probably a good idea to make sure it's exam legal when they come around.
snow conditions
FlyingStantoni wrote:
kevindonkleywood +1

That might be true during the training, but not during the assessment. You will typcially do a complete mix of stuff depending on conditions. So, an hour of off-piste, an hour of bumps, Central Theme and teaching assessment and then short turns.

BASI Trainers generally want you to be able to ski. Not ski depending on what ski you're on.

The person who looks like the best skier on the course isn't necessarily the one that scores the best when assessed using the BASI system.

I'd encourage you to double check the sidecut requirement. There was some guidance issued - www.basi.org.uk/docs/equipmentChangesfinal.doc - but I'm not sure if it's still current.

yes you do raise a very good point about the assessment days actually. i will email my course and ask them about the sidecut requirements and if it applies.

fatbob, yes i am doing a whole season, which encompasses 11 weeks training and 2 weeks assessment for basi 1 & 2
DaveC, the contact 4x4 have come up a lot here so i'll definitely check them out. would you have gone with the titan's if you could have afforded them?

thanks again for all the advice!
latest report
pdx, you might also look at Rossi S86s. I bought some this year and they ski remarkably well everywhere. They're probably similar to the Sultans.
ski holidays
pdx, not sure really, I didn't get to test much so was relying on feedback from the internet mainly - Titans got rule out because a) no-one had skied them and b) I couldn't get them on the cheap. I still don't really know anything about them to have any input besides they're probably worth considering. Looked like a nice blend between the slightly too GS-ish Speed and slightly too wimpy and turny (for me) Magnum is all I really remember.
snow conditions
pdx, there's not currently a ski requirement for L1 and L2, but trainers would recommend you use a performance ski that will perform well all round, but oarticularly on piste. Generally twin tips, very fat or soft skis won't help you (unless you're sh** hot of course, in which case it makes no difference!). I also wouldn't use a race ski at this level, unless you're a very strong skier.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy