Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Drills to get me on 'outside' edge one ski

Poster: A snowHead
Be Kind Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Probably one for you folk with racing backgrounds Very Happy

I'm more than a litttle cr@p at getting over the 'outside' edge when skiing on one ski, some of it is psycological in not wanting to cross over. I can manage the 'inside' edge to a flat ski in the fall line but commiting to the new edge just is not happening. Probably does not help that its dendex rolling eyes but all the same anyone know a good drill progression to take the fear out of what should be a simple task?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kevindonkleywood, try doing some traverses on the little toe edge of your uphill ski. It will get you you more comfortable being balanced on the 'wrong' edge. As you improve try tightening the carve that you make up the slope, and then starting the traverse more down the fall line until you are doing J Turns.

As for dealing with the psycological aspects of crossing over, I suggest you spend some time on gentle slopes covered with snow... wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar,

Quote:

gentle slopes covered with snow

I will have to pop in at the end of June Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Probably does not help that its dendex

Yikes. Shocked
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kevindonkleywood wrote:
Probably does not help that its dendex rolling eyes

Respect.

A couple of things could help to build confidence on Dendex -

1. Try it with a blade on the other foot.

2. Try and pick up an 'out rigger' ski as per the adaptive guys to give you an option if you feel it's going wrong.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tilt your head over the outside edge, it'll get you to lean that way. Looks a bit silly, but it does work quite well. Bit of a harsh suggestion for Dendex, but just going up something with one ski on is how I make my kids learn to do it - I'm a hypocrite, and crap at it myself, but they seem to have a lot less trouble bouncing up when they fall the first few times!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kevindonkleywood wrote:
rob@rar,

Quote:

gentle slopes covered with snow

I will have to pop in at the end of June Very Happy

The slope at Hemel. especially the top section, is quite steep for one-ski drills. Seen a few bad wipe-outs, and took a huge one myself, with one ski skiing.

You could also try garlands on your uphill ski when in traverse. Keep the other ski on for confidence and just roll on, off, on, off the little toe edge.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
have done drills for this also on dendex & can be very difficult to commit to the outside edge.

1. Body armor with forearm/elbow/shoulder protection, might sound extreme lol! But will reduce the psychological fear of broken digits, should it all not go to plan, aim to land on these areas instead of putting hands out!! Also lose the poles, again if it doesn't go to plan less chance of caught thumbs if they’re tucked out the way.

2. Try to start if possible on the bottom 20-30mtrs or so of the slope or shallow section, the way we practice is to start down the falline and stay low pressed into the front of the boots, then lift one ski fairly high and cross the tip over the other ski roughly 20-30 degrees, it acts like a tightrope walkers pole and really aids balance, very gradually transfer to your outside edge keeping your arms low and forward, it can also help to do a fake grab with the (opposite) fist, as if to touch the tip of the raised ski.

3. Don't set your sights too high, in the 20m or so run, 1/2 a mats width of turn is a good goal and progress "slowly" "slowly" from there....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
wot he said ^

That's pretty much exactly how I got to grips with it - although I didn't do any of the grab stuff. I always wear body armour when doing anything on Dendex (well, anything more than teaching beginners/ low intermediates). Makes a big difference to how you approach things.

Probably didn't really do the javelin thing either, but would have the second ski very close to the stance leg to start with. When you start making wider outside edge turns though it helps to do the exact opposite and hang that leg out very wide, as that counterbalances your body which is then trying to fall further over that outside edge.

Start off straight running, then put in little wiggles, then increase the amount of the wiggle - and make sure you do the same on inside and outside edges by giving yourself a definite coridor to ski (say making sure you hit the seam on each left turn).

Start with whatever rhythm feels best, then lengthen or shorten the turns as you feel yourself getting it.

The key for me was making sure the shin was pressed firmly on the front of the boot - it's very easy to get back-seated when your balance is challenged by this exercise, so I was surprised to find that this actually did more for my fore-aft than it did for lateral balance!

And get some time in a fridge from time to time, where it's much easier to commit to that outside edge - and then gun it with White Pass turns, which are huge fun!

gatecrasher, are you there for the race on Saturday? If not, why not!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
GrahamN,

Cos your a lot quicker than me! and mostly more graceful lol!, nah still pondering on it!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gatecrasher, only 5 hours left to get your entry in before the price goes up Wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ok so I'm a pedant but I feel we ought to respect the man's name - the word is DENDIX.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
GrahamN,

I can't let a deal like that slip away!!

Yoda, yeah! pedant!! Blush
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
By the way, is there any real mountain point to this exercise?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowball,

Quote:

You never know when you might lose a ski! or a leg for that matter!! Shocked

Its kind of like the ski backwards, sorry Yoda, "switch" drill, I haven't done much park skiing but it has come in handy "hahum" at times! Embarassed
ski holidays
Quote:

It improves your balance and ability to "recover" when you lose it.
snow report
Well yes, I do sometimes lose a ski (though usually landing a jump or hitting a bump in crud) - but if you then do another turn you have further to climb back up for your ski wink
I have done this exercise but never really saw the point - except perhaps for a bit of variety in a snow dome. it is years since I fell on a piste.

By the way, GrahamN, I just bought new skis and tried them at Hemel and was astonished to realise how crap my old ones had got. I suddenly felt like I was 100% on rails without even trying much.
snow conditions
snowball, as I said, it's not about practising skiing on one ski in case you need, it's about general development of smills. It's a great drill, and skiers who can do it well, usually ski well all round.
ski holidays
snowball, However, the downside when you are OK at it is that when you do loose one ski, you have a lot further to walk up when you eventually 'sit down' Toofy Grin
latest report
snowball, as beanie1 says, it's about increasing the balance capabilities and range and freedom of movement around the skis. The more freedom of movement the more fluid and natural you become in regular skiing. By challenging your balance it improves your overall level of control. And while it's not a particular target to intend skiing on one ski, it's always useful to be able to do so in recovery movements - knowing there's no problem if something does throw you onto the inside ski for a moment and you can just carry on skiing through the problem without any particular panic moment is very useful. I use it quite frequently Wink .
ski holidays
GrahamN,

Quote:

if something does throw you onto the inside ski for a moment and you can just carry on skiing through the problem without any particular panic moment

Lets hope we dont have to see a display of this in the morning!! Shocked although I'll be having the panic moments well before being on the slope!! rolling eyes
latest report
gatecrasher, given how I was failing to get off the inside ski on Wednesday evening rolling eyes , almost anything could happen....so just as per usual!
ski holidays
GrahamN,

Must be a wednesday evening thing! had the same problems only at much lower speeds lol! Just as you think you're making progress the wheels fall off!! Evil or Very Mad

Well I'm gunna work on the theory its just like golf with the "good round bad round thingy" so we must be due a good one on the day!! Cool - couldn't find a "blinkered" smiley!!
snow report
I've just remembered the exercise that got me started:

Pick a nice easy beginners' slope to get started;
Plan a nice easy series of S-shaped turns;
Start off on two feet and when comfortable:
Initiate the turn on two feet as normal but after extending upwards lift the outside ski;
As you finish the turn plant it back on the snow ready to initiate the next turn - again with two feet;
Repeat to gain confidence then, instead of just lifting, try extending the outside leg so that the ski is parallel with the ground but higher - you're now doing 'Royals'.
snow conditions
Just in case no one has mentioned it yet, a good stepping stone tactic is to use the inside pole like a training wheel. Reach towards the inside of the turn with it, and lean on the dragging tip of the pole as you lift your outside ski and make your turn. As you get more comfortable at balancing on the inside ski while turning, you can gradually abandon depending on the pole.

Haven't been stopping in much lately, hope everyone is doing well. Many new projects keeping me busy these days.
snow conditions
Quote:

Many new projects keeping me busy these days.

Cool Cool
snow conditions
I think this is how you do it...

http://youtube.com/v/LatVt6F8whQ
ski holidays
Shocked Cool how you do it indeed!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kevindonkleywood wrote:
Be Kind Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Probably one for you folk with racing backgrounds Very Happy

I'm more than a litttle cr@p at getting over the 'outside' edge when skiing on one ski, some of it is psycological in not wanting to cross over. I can manage the 'inside' edge to a flat ski in the fall line but commiting to the new edge just is not happening. Probably does not help that its dendex rolling eyes but all the same anyone know a good drill progression to take the fear out of what should be a simple task?

Get comfortable with letting your centre of mass move inside the turn, more speed on easy terrain will help. Most people get back when skiing on one ski, make sure you maintain a bit of pressure against the tongue of the boot with your shin. This will give you more control over the shovel of the ski.

Good luck.
snow report
What has helped me a great deal was a drill I did with scarpa at the EOSB under NewGen's big Tom: Ski at a gentle pace, medium turns. Then lift the outside ski off the snow as early as possible towards the end of the turn (before the proper transition).

Got me much more comfortable on the outside edge up to the point of skiing linked turns using only left or right ski.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy