Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Club Forum Closed !

Poster: A snowHead
Well to my Daughter it is! Shocked

If you are a fully paid up Junior member of the Club but under 16 years old, you are not allowed to use the club's chat forum! Shocked

Apparently some parents complained that their children should not be able to see some of the content of the forum!

The clubs reaction has been to close the forum to under 16 year olds with a promise of a new forum for under 18 year olds coming soon!

How few members can they have now if they are alienating the full members of tomorrow.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
boredsurfin, let your daughter know she is welcome here!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Our SCGB did launch a site called skiandboard.co.uk containing yoof stuff. It ran for some months and then vanished. The url www.skiandboard.co.uk now takes visitors to the regular www.skiclub.co.uk site.

The Ski Club forum pre-February 2004 (i.e. before 'members only' day) was fairly all-embracing in its appeal to everyone - hence the fact that thousands used it and 64,000 postings were made by all age groups.

The penny does not appear to have dropped yet. I can't see that it is the Ski Club's job to be over-prescriptive about what is published. People seem to be quite responsible about swear words, sexual content etc.

Perhaps this stiffness represents wider British attitudes towards 'suffering' children in restaurants and hotels etc. On the continent, people are more relaxed about children in adult places!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 26-07-05 18:08; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
boredsurfin, she's not missing much though is she, a total of 10 posts so far today over there on just 4 subjects Sad
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boredsurfin, a while ago there was discussion in the SCGB forum about whether one should be careful on the choice of subjects being discussed, bearing in mind the potentially young age of some viewers. I don't find it all that easy to use the Club search, but this thread gives you some of the flavour. As ever, all forum members were free to comment at the time. I guess, as in all moderation/restriction issues, the runners of a forum will always displease someone.
I'm not clear why you have a problem, though. Encourage your youngsters to use this site.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I could of course be pessimistic and summise that the SCGB's real reason is to stop adults signing on as children to enjoy the forum at a cheaper price.
But as D G Orf, points out there isn't a lot of point with that poor level of participation Toofy Grin I assume Tim talks to himself Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boredsurfin wrote:
I could of course be pessimistic and summise that the SCGB's real reason is to stop adults signing on as children to enjoy the forum at a cheaper price.
But as D G Orf, points out there isn't a lot of point with that poor level of participation Toofy Grin I assume Tim talks to himself Toofy Grin

I wonder does he edit and delete his posts so that the proceeding posts make less sense?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wear The Fox Hat,
Quote:

I wonder does he edit and delete his posts so that the proceeding posts make less sense?

If he is talking to himself most of the time a lot of his nonsense would seem normal Toofy Grin

Repeat after me, Care in the Community is working, Care in the..........repeat
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boredsurfin don't worry - she really is missing nothing. She would gain a lot more enjoyment from this site, there are a few younger posters around, as you know.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
boredsurfin, i can't see your problem. If your little dahling wants to post there I doubt there is any way the SCGB could stop her? On the other hand, if she does, then she comes and ask: 'Daddy, what is a lady's bottom?' and you go complaining to the club, they can tell you she shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Wear The Fox Hat, i clicked on the submit button instead of the preview one by mistake. That post can't have been up there for more than a few secondsx. But, obviously, with you spending every moment you're not typing clicking on the refresh button it was just a case of bad timing.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tim Brown,
Quote:

boredsurfin, i can't see your problem. If your little dahling wants to post there I doubt there is any way the SCGB could stop her? On the other hand, if she does, then she comes and ask: 'Daddy, what is a lady's bottom?' and you go complaining to the club, they can tell you she shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Tim, that is my point , if my daughter wishes to enter the chat forum she cannot! The IT system does not allow her access because of her age. (Which you have to give when you join as a junior)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tim Brown wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, i clicked on the submit button instead of the preview one by mistake. That post can't have been up there for more than a few secondsx. But, obviously, with you spending every moment you're not typing clicking on the refresh button it was just a case of bad timing.

Tim, so, you submitted the post, then decided that the content, a simple question, was inappropriate, so you decided to completely change it to an attempted clever response to my previous post.

Then, when I commented on your change of post, you made no attempt of posting in that thread that you had changed it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat, no. It's very simple. I was going to ask you that question about dirty bombs. I had even typed it in to the field. I then decided to hit preview while i had a think about it. Unfortunately I hit submit by mistake. By the time I'd picked my nose, had a sip of tea and realised my mistake, the post had been up there for only a few seconds so i deleted it. I then posted a new comment, then, funny old thing, i went out! you know, out? Outside. By the way, i don't have a computer outside. While i was outside, i drove to the pub where i met some friends. We stayed there from about 4ish until about 8. Then we went for an Indian. Then i got a taxi home. Then i went to bed.
The next day, I don't remember at what time, i logged on again only to find I had aparently commited the crime of the century.
And as for your accusation of my subtle edits to posts, that is just not true. I only ever correct typos or grammatical errors.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin, the question has been raised here in the SCGB forum; you may wish to chip in.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boredsurfin, - and let The Club know what would you see as the answer to the problem of the parents who complained about the postings and links that they could see.
Perhaps just to accept the complaints and tell them that their kids could access just as bad, if not worse, on virtually any other site or internet search ........?
Gets my vote.
snow conditions
Scrumpy, as someone else pointed out, it's becoming a little academic since so few postings are being made. The atmosphere on the Ski Club forum markedly deteriorated into squabbles and abuse when numbers declined. There has been far more moderation activity in a situation where '64' postings were made, compared to the months when 64,000 were made.

Our club has 27,000 members. Doesn't the current silence concern you? - i.e. concern you more than a couple of over-protective parents?
ski holidays
Things to do with kids don't bother me - but they bother boredsurfin,
snow conditions
Scrumpy, they bother him because his kids can't access the ski club forum any more
snow report
David Goldsmith, maybe those that want to are already chatting away on natives or here or elsewhere.

Is the current silence a particular concern? Does it really matter where the conversations occur, as long as they occur somewhere?
To my mind, it is an advantage to me if the SCGB discussion threads do become redundant, as it means that those that would otherwise post on there (where I have no access) are more likely to post on here (where I do have access).

Are there directions to snowheads within the SCGB discussions?
ski holidays
Ray, as a stakeholder in the SCGB it matters to me if the Club isn't a centre of discussion and debate on the past, present ... and - most importantly - future of skiing.
ski holidays
DG, on reflection I am inclined to agree with you. It is important that a forum exists there. I guess I am an example to prove that. I do not have a tendency to sign up to internet discussion forum, SCGB and snowHeads have been the only two. I joined there because there was a degree of “safeness” about it. I joined here because I knew so many names from beforehand, but I am sure that I wouldn’t have joined here had I not already been there.
snow report
Ray Zorro wrote:
..Are there directions to snowheads within the SCGB discussions?

There are links - usually to specific snowheads discussions - from time to time, within Club discussion threads. There are no links officially from the site. There is no specific snowheads discussion section, and there is very little comment about snowheads generally.
snow report
There's actually remarkably little comment about anything - skiing, for instance!

If 27,000 people have registered access to a discussion forum - all one has to do is type in membership number and postcode - how many would one expect to be posting messages? I imagine that there are other long-established membership (non ski) organisations that one could make comparisons with.

It would also be interesting to know if any regional ski clubs in the UK - Ski Club of Scotland, Manchester, Oxfordshire etc. etc. - have discussion forums. And what about the Ski Club of Ireland? Maybe time to have a look around.
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, That is exactly why Nick and I were directing him back to discuss the matter with The Ski Club- but then DG asked me why I was bothered about kids.....................and I replied that they don't bother me.........
ski holidays
Scrumpy, I'd very much prefer "suggested" to "directed" Very Happy
ski holidays
Nick Zotov, I took the link you gave to be a "direction" as in "signpost" - not "directed" as in "told to do it"
I'm feeling very misunderstood here Confused
snow report
Scrumpy wrote:
Nick Zotov, I took the link you gave to be a "direction" as in "signpost" - not "directed" as in "told to do it" ..

Cool Cool
snow conditions
David Goldsmith, 27,000 people are members of the Ski Club - they have not "registered access to the forum "- presumably because they are not interested in web-chats. ( Though perhaps the Club could encourage more members to use it).
There may be a lot of "chat" here but over half of the registered users have posted zero or one time only. This is from a self selected group of 2360 registered users who presumably DO visit chat sites, and do ski or board, as they have ended up here and so might be expected to contribute,
Here, the top 5 posters account for nearly 19% of traffic, top10 for nearly 30% and top 35 (those with over 1000 posts) for 59%
ie nearly 60% of the discussion is amongst less than 1.5% of the registered Snowheads.
My conclusion is that not as many people are interested in using forums - even ones thay have conciously registered on - as you seem to think should be !

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 28-07-05 15:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scrumpy, you'd think if someone was seriously interested in snowsports, they would be interested in talking about it, and encouraging young people (i.e. the future) to get more involved, by using methods of communication which young people do use extensively.
latest report
- so , as I suggested, get the Ski Club to ignore the parents who complained about "adult" content of some posts and links and re-open it :
Quote:

accept the complaints and tell them that their kids could access just as bad, if not worse, on virtually any other site or internet search ........?

My post earlier today.

We appear to be going round in circles here.
ski holidays
Scrumpy, I can't understand why it is so important for you to retain anonymity. Do you post in the Ski Club forum under a real name? (silly question!)

Are you saying things here that you can't put your name to?

It's important that people who speak for the Club, or in support of the Club, (which I take it is what you're doing) put their names to what they're saying.
snow conditions
David Goldsmith wrote:
Scrumpy, I can't understand why it is so important for you to retain anonymity. Do you post in the Ski Club forum under a real name? (silly question!)

Are you saying things here that you can't put your name to?

It's important that people who speak for the Club, or in support of the Club, (which I take it is what you're doing) put their names to what they're saying.

What about the other way around? For example, should masque post under its real name?
latest report
David Goldsmith, you are obviously very attached to SCGB, but I really don't see why it is particularly important for there to be a vibrant forum there. In many ways, it is better if there is only a single major English language (roughly) general ski (plus general interest and assorted entertainment) forum (of course there may be others about which I know nothing). SCGB's site was the obvious place for it, but they won't do it, so here we are.

I don't think it much matters if the SCGB forum is moribund because I really don't think that SCGB is an organisation of great significance; I suspect that it's primary role for the bulk of it's membership (such as me) is to provide discounts, with repping also being important for a significant minority. I don't see how it can influence improvements in the lot of the recreational skier; it is never going represent a big enough proportion of them. It may have some sort of role in racing (about which I know nothing), but that is of peripheral, if any, interest to most of us once or twice a year skiers.

I'm not knocking SCGB (no doubt one could), but it is no longer a significant force in skiing, probably mainly because times have changed.
ski holidays
richmond wrote:
David Goldsmith, you are obviously very attached to SCGB, but I really don't see why it is particularly important for there to be a vibrant forum there. In many ways, it is better if there is only a single major English language (roughly) general ski (plus general interest and assorted entertainment) forum (of course there may be others about which I know nothing). SCGB's site was the obvious place for it, but they won't do it, so here we are.

Um, there are several English language ski forums on the net in places beyond these shores.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, I hope that you're not going to start advertising Laughing
snow report
David Goldsmith,
When I registered here everyone else registering seemed to use an alias so I followed suit. I still have no idea who most of the people might be.
I have never said that it's important to retain anonymity - but I have decided that I quite like having an alter-ego Evil or Very Mad Toofy Grin Shocked
I have decided that it could add to my freedom of expression at some time in the future. Madeye-Smiley
I don't think that I have said anything particularly contentious here - merely supported someone who wants a Ski Club restriction removed.
snow conditions
I think that it's important to retain the option of anonymity.

As for the SCGB forum, it's over, they could have handled it better, but it was nearly two years ago FFS. We've got a nice forum going here, reasonably friendly most of the time, I'm not sure that the SCGB forum is really relevant to us any more.
latest report
snowbunny, what? Are you expecting me to launch into one of my EPIC posts which go on for ages and ages, and become some sort of EPIC saga of EPIC proportions?
snow report
Kramer wrote:
I think that it's important to retain the option of anonymity.

I don't disagree with that - it's been a right enjoyed by correspondents to editors of newspapers forever. It's an important protection, and an aid to free speech.
Anonymous sourcing has also always been an important component of journalism.

That said, every now and then I think it's worth challenging people's reasons for choosing anonymity.

I don't understand people retaining anonymity for no reason. Why not have two identities on snowHeads - a real one, and a pseudonym, so the chosen message can be communicated with a choice of levels of credibility?
snow report
Thank you Kramer,
It has also been pointed out to me that DG has stood up for other people's right to anonymity in the past.
Presumably that was someone whose real name he already knew Puzzled
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy