Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Booster Straps

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone used booster straps before? How did you find them - was there a noticeable difference in response?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't have them, but I know several people who do, and who have noticed a difference.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Booster straps?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've been thinking about getting these - great write ups on the TGR forum (and, do doubt, Epic but haven't looked) and the powerstraps on my boots have just about given up. Anyone know anywhere in the UK which sells them (and does mail order if not in London)?

Snowy, google it wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arno, I think slush & rubble do them.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
EB do them:
http://www.ellis-brigham.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/710011||strap~@c~@b|0|user|1,0,0,1|229|
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SnR:
http://www.snowandrock.com/shop/products/ES2AG.htm
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snowy,

www.theboosterstrap.com

Arno,

You could try Sidas, believe they sell them. info@sidas.co.uk
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
and Lockwoods
http://www.lockwoods.uk.com/
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
beanie1, when you first start using them, do not overtighten. There is enough leverage at the buckle to easily cut off circulation, even more easily than with the regular boot clips. As the preferred mounting of the front of the strap is inside the shell, there are no pressure points to immediately tell you that you have overtightened.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Funnily enough the system on the Rossignol Soft 1 ski boots almost duplicates the booster strap, although the Soft 1's are the best fitting boots arround the calf muscle that I've ever found
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Got them on my alpine boots, significant improvement in reponse of boot.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
D G Orf, I believe Nordica licences the system as well. Now that the US parts store is online I am tempted to get those instead as the buckle design is a little more refined.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I got a pair of booster straps fitted to my Sally 1080's today at Anything Technical in Kendal and what they told me may be of some interest to you.
They told me that with the Booster strap you should buckle your boots up so that the latches snap shut with light finger pressure and the Booster strap should be pulled quite tight so that you are flexing your boot by the booster strap pulling the back/spine of your shell. This is instead of having your buckles tight, which tends to make your boot stiffer to flex due to relying on using the front cuff of the shell to pull the rear spine of the boot, and also the front cuffs being pulled closer together leaves less room for forward movement before lower shell deflection/flex comes into play.
You do need a very good fitting liner for this to work right. I ended up getting a Conformable liner fitted at the same time due to skinny calves and low volume feet and the fit and flex of the boot has been transformed.
I just hope the improved performance translates into my skiing improving.
So thumbs up here for the booster strap, though I think you really need to have a very good fitting liner for it to be beneficial. I would not like to use a booster strap if your feet swim in your liners as you will be making your buckles too tight and then the front cuff will be masking the benefit of the booster strap.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I found a greater response by using the power strap wrapped around the boot inner rather that the shell of the boot. This has the effect ensuring the inner boot is snug around the calf and allows the boot to flex. the clips of the boot I have done up just finger tight. I have experimented with different ways and prefer the power strap on the inside it allows me to flex my Crossmax 10's.
snow report
I'm confused. I thought boosters were for when the top straps on my Rossis finally fall apart.

And if boosters are so wonderful, why are they a separate spec? i.e. why aren't they part of normal boot manufacture?

And, are they supposed to be wonderful only for long-legged giraffe-like folk who find that when they get a boot big enough in the foot that it's then not narrow enough in the leg? i.e. is it a waste of my short-stumpy-legged time buying a set.

(so many questions, so little time....)
snow conditions
Manda, I'm no expert but they are not quite the same as the velcro fixed power straps that have been around for years. The boosters are more elastic and will fit any boot.
latest report
I thought that these days we didn't need really tight boots?
snow conditions
Kramer, me too.
snow report
You don't want tight shell cuffs.

But you do want the inner to fit snugly around your leg.
snow report
Manda, they are a part of the Nordica Beast/Top Fuel normal boot manufacture. If the strap is between the liner and the cuff, longer shinbones are not necessary.

If the product was available in the US in the mid-1990s as it was, then why only now are we seeing worldwide? We might look to trade patterns, after all most of these things are made and designed by European companies, but I think there is a technological component as well- how likely were mass market skiers to notice a beneficial effect with a stiff c.a. 1990 boot?

rockyrobin, they seem to be a decent stopgap remedy for 'shin bang' when the tongue of the liner is not quite snug.

I find the rest of your comments quite interesting, however. My last day in Utah last season I had some Atomic on-piste carvers and, in trying to take them into ungroomed terrain, I noticed slippage of the liner within the boot below the ankle. The liner would actually roll (spin) inside the boot! Yikes.
snow report
comprex, What shells and liners are you using? You sound like you've experienced poor liner to shell fit also. I was feeling liner movement inside my shells when really going for it carving linked short radius turns as the liner in the 1080 has got to be the worst liner on the market! Garbage. I have had very little fine control and have had to just ride my skis.
When I had my conformable liners done it felt like my feet and ankles were being throttled! The pressure really surpised me and my black toe nails certainly let me know what was going on as one is now half hanging off! Shocked
Now when I put my feet in my boots the fit is so snug everywhere that I doubt my liners have room to rotate.
Strangely though I have no pressure points whatsoever and i'm feeling these are going to be really comfortable in use. Of all the items i've bought so far for my skiing toys this has to be the most impressive to date.
One thing i've learnt from this is if the shells are the right size and flex for you the conformable liners are a very good investment instead of changing boots all the time trying to find that perfect fit.
I'll be giving them a try next Monday. If I ski like an ass i'm going to struggle to find a piece of kit to blame now! Laughing Toofy Grin
latest report
comprex wrote:
they are a part of the Nordica Beast/Top Fuel normal boot manufacture.

And also standard on the Tecnica Diablo range.
snow conditions
rockyrobin, Sounds like it's an improvement over the cardboard you had stuffed down the back of your boots last week Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
spyderjon, Hehe, in hindsight the guy doing my liners yesterday must have thought "we've got a right one here" when he saw the cardboard in my boots Laughing
It was certainly easier to increase the size of my calves with the cardboard shims than build them up with strenuous exercise. Cool
snow report
rockyrobin wrote:
spyderjon, Hehe, in hindsight the guy doing my liners yesterday must have thought "we've got a right one here" when he saw the cardboard in my boots Laughing
It was certainly easier to increase the size of my calves with the cardboard shims than build them up with strenuous exercise. Cool

There is nothing wrong with cardboard if it does the job.

I have got several layers of Coco Pops packet inside my boots.
snow conditions
rjs wrote:

Being an experienced racer rjs I would have thought you'd know that Frosties packets are waaay faster than Coco Pops Smile
latest report
I was just using plain brown cardboard. Also I only have Alpen for breakfast which comes in a plastic packet. Looks like I need to change my cereal! Laughing
Cheers rjs, I feel a lot better now knowing i'm not the only one doing it Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rjs wrote:
rockyrobin wrote:

There is nothing wrong with cardboard if it does the job.

Do you ever find the chocolat melts and marks your socks, or have you managed to use them without bursting the plastic bag?
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, You remember that advert in the late 70's of a love sick puppy of a guy skiing through hoops to get the choccys to his lady friend - Was it "Milk Tray" or "Black Magic"?
I always wondered where he stashed the choccy box in that advert. He musthave had very skinny legs to get a whole box down there Laughing
latest report
Milk Tray
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy