Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bad Gastein - fly into Salzburg or Munich + Christmas markets?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
robboj, The police presence at the Marienplatz (the main central market area) and the pedestrian area is huge and we have massive warnings put out on the radio and TV but in German - don't want to scare the punters off do they wink ) The underground police (separate entity) are also in far greater presence. They actually increase the amount of CCTV surveillence in the Advent Market season as well, which is unusual here in Germany as the Germans themselves do not like covert monitoring of their lives and have blocked it in many areas. All applications to erect CCTV cameras that monitor public spaces have to be notified in advance and applications are rejected if the public object (which they usually do).

Yes Munich is OK and if you have nothing to base an opinion on, it is good but it is expensive and most of the stuff is kitsch from China. There is one local craft market at Münchener Freiheit in Schwabing and some local craftsmen have stalls on the Tollwood site but in general most of the stuff comes from the Far East. There is a lot of the same stuff available in Salzburg. however, the whole atmosphere is better in Salzburg because they have more space to spread things out, Mozartplatz, Domplatz, Residenzplatz - these are three very big open spaces in the Altstadt. But they are not the only ones - there are smaller, more intimate craft orientated areas all around the old town. The so-called New Town (16th century worker's area) also has it's own area of markets and is easy to reach by simply crossing the river and wandering up the lanes behind Marktplatz and Mirabellplatz. The other plus is they usually have snow and because they are not so crowded it lasts and adds to the atmosphere.

shenryo, Choose what you will - I visit a lot of markets in the Advent season with customers and friends and Salzburg is my favourite by far. Nürenberg is also good but crowded out because it has become such a tourist magnet and consequently a tourist trap.

Choose what suits you best in terms of access, flights and transfers. If you have never been to a Christmas Market you will enjoy yourself wherever you land - it is after all just a stop off on your way to or from a skiing holiday. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Went to Nuremberg in 2005 and again a nice town, with not that much to do and see. Xmas market was good, not any better than Munich and at the weekend was absolutely impossibly busy, so much so that I would strongly advise against unless you could go midweek.

I've now been to Salzburg, Munich and Nuremberg and Munich is my favourite based on the overall trip, Salzburg had the nicest Xmas market but did not have much else to do.

As for the safety element it is hard for someone from Glasgow to feel threatened in most cities in Europe wink

Bought a lot of things at the Xmas markets in Munich and it is definitely not Chinese kitsch. Sue, you'll have to try a British version of the German Xmas market, kitsch doesn't even begin to describe it Shocked
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shenryo, where are you staying in Bad Gastein?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Samerberg Sue, robboj, thanks for the heads up folks, I really appreciate all the info and time you have taken to help form my decision... Salzburg is definitely more to my fancy but I just can't seem to find out how much extra ski carriage will be on a mixture of Flybe and BA... via a site like Sky Scanner or Opodo - it may add too much on...

Kersh, we are staying at the Ferienclub Bellevue (Mondi) ( http://www.bellevue.mondiholiday.at/ ) - any good? sounds good and certainly looks nice, 4*+ I believe
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
right guys... here's the situation. I have spent the afternoon researching loads of different angles and weighing up the pros and cons of Munich v Salzburg. Quite simply, Salzburg is my number one choice but it is proving such a chore to get to from Newcastle. I can get a good price on flights but it doesn't get us in to Salzburg till 10pm which is no good. However, I can get flights to Munich from Newcastle, good times with a stop in Dusseldorf for UNDER £300 and I have heard they offer FREE ski carriage (???) which makes the deal quite remarkable and make me thin we'll pencil in Salzburg for another time.

I was just hoping to beg more advice since you lot have been so helpful: firstly, good transfers to Bad Gastein? secondly, any experience with this airline? and thirdly, for those of you that know the area, if you've heard of these too, which would you recommend?:

Le Méridien Munich (Bayerstrasse 41)
Sheraton Munich Westpark Hotel (Garmischer Strasse 2)
Sheraton Munich Arabellapark Hotel (ArabellaStrasse 5)
The Westin Grand Munich (Arabellastrasse 6)
Four Points by Sheraton Munich Olympiapark (Helene-Mayer-Ring 12)

Anybody familiar with any of those? Thanks in advance folks, I really do appreciate all the help on here. snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
shenryo, I know the location of all of them - how long are you intending to stay and how will you be travelling from airport to ski resort?

Le Méridien is next to the Hauptbahnhof - get out of the S-Bahn at the HB and walk out to Bayerstrasse and you see it in front of you.
Westpark is overlooking the Mittelerring (a bit like the North/South Circular in London) on the west side of town with some horrendous roadworks between you and the Alps. Stay on the S-Bahn from the airport and get out at Donnersbergerbrücke and switch to the S7 getting off at the next stop (Heimeranplatz). The hotel is right next door to the S-Bahn station
Arabellapark and Westin Grand are on the NE side of the Mittelerring - the Arabellapark being actually on it and the Westin just behind it - change from the S-Bahn to the U-Bahn at Karlsplatz/Stacchus - get the U4 to Arabella Park. The hotels are sign posted from the U-Bahn station.
Four Points is opposite the BMW in the old Olympic village - quite a long way from any of the public transport. Take the S8 from the airport into town and change at Marienplatz to the U3 to Olympiazentrum. You come out of the underground and walk up the Lerchenauerstrasse for about 100m before turning into Helen-Meyer-Ring. Then follow the road around about 200m.

The Le Méridien provides you with the best location as it is within walking distance of the main markets and the Theresienweise where the Tollwood Winter Festival takes place. It is also very easy to reach any of the public transport to/from the airport.

I have not stayed in any of them nor have we put clients in them as we prefer to use more German hotels outside of the city. These are all part of international chains and as a result rather lacking in any "local" colour. I have eaten in the Westpark a couple of times - it was OK but I did not find the food all that interesting - fairly standard international hotel cuisine!

I rarely use hotels in Munich as I have lots of friends in the area I can stay with if I need to overnight there. I am in Munich every week though so I know my way about. Another snowHead called Steilhang actually lives in the city and may know more about the hotels.

Sue wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
shenryo, good choice!
I don'spend much time in Hotels in Munich, but my customers and colleagues do. All of them are good. Like Sue says, the Meridien in Bayerstrasse is most central, being only a few metres from Munich central station. Standard international hotel chain quality!
Looking at the German railway website (www.bahn.de) it seems that there are direct connections to Bad Gastein taking about 3h15 and costing €50. Seems reasonable. This is the summer timetable though so you should check closer to the time you want to travel.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Samerberg Sue, Thanks so much for your help Sue, you are a credit to this siteSteilhang, 50 euros seems ok, just over 200 for our transfers... Bit steep but it's better than the coach which comes out at 280!!! Ridiculous that I think. The reason we've went for the international brands is that all of those are part of the Starwood network which we have timeshares through and can therefore get better rates on, otherwise I would of course prefer something with a more local flavour
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
shenryo, Have stayed in the Le Meridien a few times, nice hotel, large clean modern rooms etc.

We have booked the flights for a 3 nighter in December and are looking at it again, I believe a refurb ( which it didn't need) is currently underway. As far as I can see it is s room by room basis with the refurbs being sold as superior rooms.

Best location by far as its right opposite the main station and within walking distance , or a couple of U-bahn stops, of the main square etc.

Munich does have a fantastic transport system so the others will be do-able if they're significantly cheaper.

The Sofitel is just across the road form the Meridien and is really fab, as I said before we got a really good deal a couple of years ago so check it out as well?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
robboj, cheers mate, think the Meridien sounds spot on to be honest
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
shenryo, the Mondi Bellevue is one of the big hotels in the resort. Slap bang in the middle of the town, nice 2 minute stumble down hill from the Silver Bullet!!! Toofy Grin Can't go wrong! Make sure you book and evening meal up at the Bellevue Alm too.

If you PM me your email address, i'll send all the info over I send to our guests like recommended restuarants etc.

cheers
Kersh
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kersh, thanks Kersh, that's great news Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy