Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France V Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Is it just me or did Austria seem waaay cheaper once up the mountain for grub and beer etc- think ski passes edged it as well- talking about two trips one in Cham ( ££ouch) and Soll ( half price on the mountain)
A glitch or same again next year ??
What do you all reckon as want to start making planes so accom and resort suggestions much appreciated
cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
want to start making planes

Which airports will you fly to? Or are you looking to shave a little off the cost?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jzBun, Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I reckon Austria is cheaper overall (except Ischgl and Lech), but you really can't compare Chamonix and Soll Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
limey off piste,
Ski both most years, as far as variation in prices you will get at least as much within a country as between countries, but on average Austria is a little cheaper I would guess but you can get great value in France as well.
Accom and resort suggestions depend on what skiing you are looking for nature and standard of accommodation and time of year, without which any suggestions are a bit meaningless really
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jzBun, ha ha- typo ( but I think you knew that- unless you are O'Leary in disguise and want cheap planes !!)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
clarky999, not comparing skiing - just food lol- agree they are poles apart
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i went to cham and sol last year the skiing in cham is loads better ,but still had a realy good ski in sol as for price sol was loads cheaper , and the apres knocked spots of cham
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Clearly you have not done Apres in St Anton wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Surely price cannot be the only factor. After all, France is considerably less German. wink Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i thought we were talking about sol v cham
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think price depends more on resort than in general but in fairness I found food and drink prices to be reasonable in Kitzbuhel and that is often portrayed as an expensive Austrian resort.

For me the huge advantage Austria (and Italy) has over France is the type of accommodation. France has mostly self-catering apartments and chalets where single rooms are very rare. Austria has more hotel accommodation, often family-run, friendly, delicious food and single rooms are easy to find. Don't get me wrong, I like the ski areas in France, it's just that it's not easy to find accommodation that suits me and of course budget is a limiting factor. Each to their own.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mcspreader wrote:
Surely price cannot be the only factor. After all, France is considerably less German. wink Toofy Grin

This is very important. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia, I agree with that- Austria does have a much ffriendlier vibe about it- and the apres is great- sol had a great band called "Frog on the Tyne" in one hotel bar- funny geordie & a cute french chick........Nadenoodlee, not been to St A yet but does sounds amazing apres.....
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It definitely feels like Austria is generally cheaper...that is a huge generalisation of course - there are loads of variables to consider, resort choice, etc. I have found food on the mountain better value in Austria - there seem to be better value mountain restaurants at the budget end. I'm not sure on this, but aren't more Austrian huts independently run, as opposed to run by the lift companies like many in France?

Think we're going to Cham and St Anton next year, but for 2 very different trips, so won't be able to make a fair comparison - all I can say with some confidence is that Switzerland was extremely expensive this March.
snow report
leedssteve, - did verbier at half term...ouch...
snow conditions
Love austria, Friendly much more apres and more fun, Went to switzerland quiet nightlife great skiing but £9 for a portion of chips up the mountain was a little exessive, france is not for me unfriendly and expensive yes probably better ski areas but for the whole holidAY EXPERIENCE i will always prefer austria. Tring saalbach this time the apres supposed to be awesome and fairly reasonable prices, Hopefully
latest report
mattiwilkin wrote:
Tring this time the apres supposed to be awesome and fairly reasonable prices, Hopefully

Don't get your hopes up, although in the right conditions Ivanhoe Beacon might be worth a try. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
limey off piste, Go to St Anton, Arlberg is poles apart from France IMO - great skiing, more snow sure, A1 mountain food and superb apres ski (plus you can use the toilets without catching typhoid and paying for thre privelege). Only place I'll be going back to for the foreseeable in France (until Tarentaise gets some sort of customer appreciation back) is Cham, yes its expensive but its fantastic skiing/ mountainscape is very special and paying extra is not my main issue there.

Also Verbier is fantastic - but Nendaz and ski in/ out is our way of doing it.

2 weeks Arlberg and 1 week 4 Vallees for me and Mrs M next year, could be tempted by a long weekend in Cham before Xmas if snow is good.
ski holidays
Those that say you can't compare Chamonix with Soll are right. A better comparison would be something like Val D'Isere vs St Anton.

I like Austrian apres - the early beers always appeal more to me than late night clubbing which tends to be the thing in French resorts. As for cost, once you are in resort as with everywhere there are cheap (er) and expensive places. You just need to find the one that matches your requirement for "value".
snow report
Tiger2 wrote:
Those that say you can't compare Chamonix with Soll are right. A better comparison would be something like Val D'Isere vs St Anton.

I like Austrian apres - the early beers always appeal more to me than late night clubbing which tends to be the thing in French resorts. As for cost, once you are in resort as with everywhere there are cheap (er) and expensive places. You just need to find the one that matches your requirement for "value".
Quote:

Val D'Isere vs St Anton

Tiger2, OK - for size maybe but thats about it IMO. I agree with your sentiment 100% re early beers vs clubbing................. but for ski area/ off-piste opportunities and general feeling of being in a quality resort and being welcome theres a clear winner IMO. Plus cant remember queuing in Arlberg for years, whereas in Espace Killy the lift system is not so slick and appears to be running at near capacity, with lacking investment - thus queueing at pinch points (eg returns at end of day) is not uncommon. For equivalant hotel accomodation I reckon Val/ Tignes is also 25-30% dearer than equivalent in Arlberg. Espace Killy 10 years ago was #1, now has slipped and its laurels are well and truly rested on IMO.
snow report
Markymark29 I don't disagree with you. My point was that comparing a large commercial town like Chamonix to a ski resort town like Soll was not a fair comparison. For example, bars in Chamonix are not all ski-related, apres type bars. Therefore comparing two large ski towns like VD'I and StA would be a better pair to compare. The fact that you argue that one is better than the other (or, as the OP, that one is cheaper than the other) is a fair debate. I would compare Chamonix to Kitzbhuel or possibly even Innsbruck (but I can't because I've never been based there) in a France vs Austria debate.
snow conditions
Tiger2, I was thinking more that Chamonix is Chamonix, whilst Soll is... a mediocre ski town that isn't even the best in the Ski Welt, which isn't the best area in Austria.
ski holidays
Tiger2, Agreed...............dont rule Davos out then, proper town, great skiing and Swiss (and great ice hockey games to watch if you time it right)
latest report
limey off piste wrote:
leedssteve, - did verbier at half term...ouch...

wow - I bet. At least we were off season!

We're only doing a w/end in Cham, main group holiday will be St Anton, haven't been before, but very much looking forward to it.
ski holidays
oh I thought this was a football thread.....love watching the Austrians take a beating Twisted Evil
ski holidays
I am a newbie to snowheads and cannot seem to post a new topic, even though I have registered and I see where it says "you can post new topics to this forum" but there is nothing to click on to post. My questions are (and maybe somebody can post them in the correct place)
I want to go somewhere at half term with a great kids ski school, where they will look after the children in the afternoon if they are too tired to ski all day.
I do not want ESF because I have not had good experiences with them in the past.
Is Flachau likely to be very busy at half term?
Is Avoriaz likely to be vere busy at half term?
Any ideas on flying from Liverpool or Manchester to Salzburg other than with Easyjet?
Thanks very much
Susan
snow conditions
Austria wins for me - I've found it to be better value and more fun than France...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Do they still a allow smoking in Austrian bars and restaurants? Sorry it's France every time for me.
snow report
sueyou, Welcome snowHead
Quote:
I am a newbie to snowheads and cannot seem to post a new topic

Sometimes the links are difficult to find, but the "Post New Topic" is at the bottom left of the page...
And the Personal Message (PM) link is up at the top right, called "Send/Read Messages"
latest report
gravystuffing, Generally, bars yes, restaurants, no
latest report
mcspreader wrote:

Indeed. But then it is unfortunately rather more French Smile
latest report
alex_heney wrote:
mcspreader wrote:

Indeed. But then it is unfortunately rather more French Smile

Very Happy Very Happy I stopped going to France after the extortionate prices I had in Alpes D'Huez about 3 years ago. Austria and Italy for me every time. Friendlier and cheaper!!
snow report
Austria. I love the skiing in Tignes/Val d'Isere especially, but 16 euros for a bowl of spag bol! It's either Kaprun or Schladming for the Doggies this New Year, a quick trip to the Hoff in Jan (unless anyone can convince me that Soll would be better-has to be no more than 90mins fae Munich, want to get an afternoon in on arrival and a full-ish day on departure).

I think the price of beer is what swings it for our boys trip, France just prices itself out of the market. And the accomodation sucks (generally)
snow conditions
Ghost Dog wrote:
16 euros for a bowl of spag bol

So don't be a tourist sucker and order the spag bol. A restaurant owner laughs heartily every time someone orders a spag bol, one of the most profitable dishes a restaurant can make. I've said it before, order the plat du jour and you'll (generally) get good food for about €14. Job done.
ski holidays
And if you don't want rock bottom basic accommodation, don't book it. rolling eyes Sky's the limit, in the major French resorts.
snow report
Things I learn about Austria after skiing mainly in France previously are

(1) Snow is always better (having travelled extensively in both countries I think geographically Austria can keep the snow longer)
(2) Less piste users competing for space ( this helps to giver better snow if there are less people scraping the slopes. Another theory is the French like to ski in their own country and so crowd will be significantly smaller without the French)
(3) The locals take pride in providiong their services. (It is a fact for anyone comparing the treatment one receives in both countries)
(4) Surprisingly inexpensive. (Consistently in ski pass, accommodation and food for a DIY skier who is mobile and can shop around)
(5) There are always parking available and free (Never need to pay for parking in any of my Austrian visits)
(6) Resort sizes are smaller but no ugly apartment buildings (Never seen in a Austria resort with large purposely-built holiday apartment building more than 4 levels like those in Avoriaz, Val D, Chamonix, Flaine, 3V, Paradiski, etc .)

These were my first impressions of Austria when I skied Zell am See/Kaprun/Saabach/Bad Gastein Valley and these views remain unchanged after sampling 33 resorts.

These are personal experience of one DIY skier who has also visited 31 French resorts. I have not abandoned France but each French trip just reinforces my views. I don't wear a helmet but if I ski mainly in France I would put one on as I do feel vulnerable in busy French resorts even not during half term breaks. I know some SH are passionate about wearing a helmet to avoid being running into but to me such a risk could be resort-related.

My views may not be considered fair by others but it is my experience up to Feb 2011 after skiing Stubai, Solden, Obergurgl in Austria and then Montenevre/Risoul/Ser Che/L2A/LDH in France in the same trip to see the snow condition immediately one after the other. I never use the TO and am completely free to ski any resort and so my situation will not be representative of an average British skier.

Obviously if the visitors to France start switching to Austria then the situation may change and so I should really shut up.

I am surprised that skiers only compare France with Austria because they are my 4th and 1st choice respectively. I also prefer Italy and Switzerland to France which I would only ski it happens along my route and it is not during French mid term break.
ski holidays
saikee, ssssshhhhh ........
snow report
Quote:

There are always parking available and free (Never need to pay for parking in any of my Austrian visits)

Large/Huge multistorey carparks @ Sölden, Hochzillertal (and almost definitely others). I turned up well late at the weekend, and still parked on about 1 level higher than the entrance! Free all day, pay overnight I think?

Quote:

no ugly apartment buildings ... Sölden

There are prettier and less busy places in Austria, but at least it's not crammed in with chairlifts with a view right in to club med hotel rooms.

Quote:

Obviously if the visitors to France start switching to Austria then the situation may change and so I should really shut up.

^^ that Wink Don't want all the mass market rabble using up all of our Austrian pistes Wink Smile

If there's snow, I'll ski it. But I'll seriously avoid purchase of beer, evian and orangina in French alpine resorts. And ski over in to Switzerland to avoid the "everything comes with fries" French Self-Serve Restaurants.
ski holidays
We went to Mittersill near Kitzbühel last February half term (not a proper ski resort by conventional standards) and a beer was about 3.50€ in the town. Food was quite cheap both on and off the slopes (relative to our April holiday).

In April we went to Les Deux Alpes for a bit of fun in the slush! Lucky to get a beer for anything less than 5 € in the resort, slightly more on the slopes. However most places had a happy hour which usually shaved 1 € off the price. However we went catered chalet so the cost of living (i.e. beer & food) was next to nothing, as we had morning and evening meals included; the option of a packed lunch (which was an additional 4-5 € / day) and also endless amounts of wine on an evening. There was also a communal fridge in the living area to store your drinks from the supermarket if wine isn't your thing.

We have already been looking at resorts for next year and France is coming out at the cheapest (with the TO's) so, we will probably be going there to save some money and get a SC appartment.

However, price aside I would chose Austria any day. Can't beat the little, vibrant Austrian villages with its odd characters and fun apres.

Besides, the French are annoying and arrogant.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy