Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

cheapest good resort close to munich?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi i have been to bulgaria the last 2 years to borovets and fancy a change! dont want to pay extortionate french prices but fancy somewhere a bit more challenging! i have found excellent flights to munich and am considering garmish partenkirchen looks ok and the food and drink prices seem cheap enough but was looking for some suggestions and possible hotels for germany and austria ideally within a couple of hours transfer from munich.

we are a group of lads and we like a drink or two so somewhere with a decent nightlife would be a bonus!

thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ryan110398, Kirchberg, Westendorf, Soll or, for a bit more dosh but the best nightlife, Kitzbuhel.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Loads of choice, St Anton and Ischgl are about 2.5 hours (drive) away, Westendorf/Kitz/Mayrhofen araound 1.5 hours (all assuming traffic is ok) - really are loads of great options, so try and narrow what you want down a bit more.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks guys! we are a mixed bunch mostly intermediate to advanced but there are likely to be a few beginners with us... defo want some decent nightlife and dont want to be watching the pennies all the time so somewhere reasonably priced! we are used to bulgaria which is very cheap! i know you get what you pay for and have been looking at mayrhofen that looks to be perfect! there are so many resorts so was just looking to see if there was anywhere i have not thought of...

so lively and cheap!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ryan110398 wrote:
so lively and cheap!
there isn't anywhere "cheap" per se. You won't be disappointed with Soll for lively apres, nearness to Munich, good for a group of differing requirements and for relative vfm. Got to consider the transfer cost as well... you can do Soll easily by train (and shortish taxi ride). Mayrhofen is quite a bit further and I don't think you gain anything - although it has Hintertux just up the road if snow conditions look iffy.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ill have a look into soll! i have been thinking the same about the transfer so soll could be on the cards... maybe cheap isn't the right word haha more like reasonable just heard stories of 10euro for half a lager in places... not been to austria for 15 years and i remember it being expensive then but that was ktzbuhel...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ryan110398, I was there in Feb and twice in December... large beer around 3.30 - 3.50. Relax.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cheers!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ok... I have decided on Soll looks superb! Can anyone recommend any companies who offer ski pass, hire and ski school? there are a few who will need some lessons and also the place looks huge would like a guide for a day to get my bearings!

also any recommendations on places to stay we will be a group of 6 or more lads 30 years old and over we like a bit of apres ski and will prob have a few late nights so don't anywhere posh! just clean, centrally located and decent food!

any recommendations greatly appreciated... thanks
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Considered staying in Germany? Garmisch or somewhere in the Allgau. Drinking beer is a German pastime and the slopes are seldom busy.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i have been looking at garmish but cant really find a lot of info on the place! what info i can find says the lifts are slow and dated???

looking at the piste map the skiing looks ok as we are only going for 4 days but i must admit that looking at soll and with the night skiing, nightlife and travelling around all the towns there really appeals!

hoping to try get away in january for a long weekend also so might give at a try at some stage though the season!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ryan110398, you really should do an inspection trip and write up a risk assessment. I'm sure your pals would be happy to fund that.

Garmisch? Nah, bit disjointed and full of US and Brit military types. Even Germans don't go there much.

If only 4 days then Soll is nearest and, as you say, has night skiing too (and among the best night skiing there is). You should ping an email to the tourist office (www.soell.at) with your exact dates and room requirements and see what offers come back... not all like doing 4-dayers especially over week-ends. You can check out proximity of accommodation to the centre on the website. You need staggering distance from the Whisky Muhle ideally or you can grab taxis.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thanks bode ha ha that would be nice a funded ski trip!

I thought as much about garmish! good tip for the tourist office ill send one over as i'm struggling to find a decent hotel to be honest but early days yet!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ryan110398, A funded "inspection trip" is essential! Surely the "childrens parents", er I mean friends would expect you to do a complete H&S audit and fund the "teachers" er I mean your "jolly"!!! wink If this sounds strange read the thread on teachers inducements!! Soll is a great place and you will have a blast!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ryan110398, Welcome to snowHead s BTW!
ski holidays
ryan110398, If you're looking for part week (4 day) accommodation, then http://www.tiscover.com/ is a good site.
snow report
Roy Hockley, Thanks!

Alastair Pink, cheers ill check it out... finding it a nightmare trying to find accommodation everywhere wants a week off you!

I imagine that these places only doing weeks will release rooms closer to the time if there not fully booked... or are they mostly fully booked?
ski holidays
ryan110398, what exact dates are you looking for? How many "delegates"?
latest report
Alastair Pink wrote:
ryan110398, If you're looking for part week (4 day) accommodation, then http://www.tiscover.com/ is a good site.
yes it is, and you only pay deposit. Also worth trying www.booking.com - works well for Austria.
snow conditions
Quote:

what exact dates are you looking for? How many "delegates"?

23rd to the 27th feb... 6 delegates myself included!

I have tried loads of websites and whilst i have found a few your not getting any change from £500 for a double room! first time ever booking a room in austria so not sure if thats average or not... to be honest though as long as its warm, comfortble and got decent location where not bothered...
snow report
ryan110398, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I can't compare Mayrhofen to Soll, not having been to the latter. However, I'd have thought Mayrhofen would definitely fit the bill. Great variety of bars if you want to go mental or prefer something a little more sedate. Not vastly expensive (though I suppose that is relative). Great skiing which would suit your group mix pretty well. There are also plenty of accommodation options, so may well be easier to find the 4 days.
snow report
Quote:

23rd to the 27th feb... 6 delegates myself included!

ryan110398, That's a thursday to monday in peak season and that's your problem. You effectively block two potential whole weeks out for the property by taking the week-end. They are bound to hang on and see if they can fill up with whole weeks first and only release week-end only nearer the time.

You will get something but might need to wait before booking. Unlikely that the B&Bs (who probably could offer a week-end) in Soll are remotely thinking about next Feb yet.
latest report
Chasseur, thanks for the suggestions, i really like the look of mayrhofen and it may well be a possibility if rooms are difficult...

Bode Swiller, yeah i think your right and to be fair i would do the same... i am used to bulgaria and you can get rooms any time and dirt cheap so not used to not being able to get everything sorted out straight away...

had a few places get back to me with possible availability but for a week or two later! I think maybe once the season starts we might have more luck then... Think i'm just gonna get my flights and sort the rest out closer to the time if nothing comes up!

found a good site if anyone reading this is in the same boat!

http://www.bergfex.com
snow conditions
ryan110398, for short trips out there I generally fly out sunday and stay sunday, monday, tuesday etc. Hotel rooms are easier to find that way.
snow report
Bode Swiller, unfortunately some people cant take many week days off so need to go the weekend with work commitments...
snow conditions
Bode Swiller wrote:
ryan110398, you really should do an inspection trip and write up a risk assessment. I'm sure your pals would be happy to fund that.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Roy Hockley wrote:
ryan110398, A funded "inspection trip" is essential! Surely the "childrens parents", er I mean friends would expect you to do a complete H&S audit and fund the "teachers" er I mean your "jolly"!!! wink If this sounds strange read the thread on teachers inducements!! Soll is a great place and you will have a blast!

My sides are aching now, quality Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy