Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Telluride

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi
anyone ever been to telluride? i need some advice and tips from peole who have been. it is not your everyday US location but i may be going there next season and would appreciate any feedback on hotels,slopes etc. it is a fairly small resort so also not sure if the area is limited as i dont think it has more than 20 lifts but from what i hear it has some of the best and most consistent snow conditions.

Also anyone have any ideas on best ways to travel - airports to use etc.
thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pauljames,

I skied at Telluride about 20 years ago, so can't give you up to date information. However, it is a very good ski resort in my view. Like several other Colorado ski resorts, Telluride originally was a 19th Century mining town. I believe it's Bank was once robbed by Butch Cassidy! Laughing It has a great location, being set at the end of a box canyon.
In terms of getting there, I would suggest renting a car is your best option. You could fly into Denver, or other closer local airports might be Grand Junction, Montrose or Durango. If you do drive from/via Durango (a nice town to visit by the way) it might be best to drive to Telluride via Cortez rather than the Route 550 over Red Mountain Pass as in Winter this is one of the most avalanche prone roads in the US!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pauljames, there have been some reviews here - try this one http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1488183&highlight=telluride#1488183 for a start - put Telluride into the search and a few things come up. I expect someone will be along soon with more.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pauljames wrote:
Hi
anyone ever been to telluride? i need some advice and tips from peole who have been. it is not your everyday US location but i may be going there next season and would appreciate any feedback on hotels,slopes etc. it is a fairly small resort so also not sure if the area is limited as i dont think it has more than 20 lifts but from what i hear it has some of the best and most consistent snow conditions.

Also anyone have any ideas on best ways to travel - airports to use etc.
thanks

First question: Why Telluride?

Most N.A. resorts are not the mega resorts in France. So each is good for some kind of skiing or another. Few resorts can cater to "everyone".

Telluride is good for a relaxed cruising in spectacular scenery, variety of off-piste from intermediate and up, relatively low competition for powder after a good dump. What it's not good for are endless pistes going from one valley to the next.

Quote:
not sure if the area is limited as i dont think it has more than 20 lifts

That's a lot of lifts by N. American standard!Wink Vail has what? 30 lifts?!

If you're an on-piste only skier, you'll be done in about 2 days. That said, they do take care of the piste very well.

Quote:
from what i hear it has some of the best and most consistent snow conditions.

I'd say that's a gross over-statement. It's not even close to the top ranking in snow fall. (Mammoth takes that title). And the southerly location means high temperature between storms. Nice to sunbath and less so for snow preservation. Also doesn't help for snow quality when that happens.

Having said that, if you got lucky and hit it on a day snow period. You could care less about the "average" snow record.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes been about 20 times between 1985 up to & including last season. Send me PM wit specific Q's?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
stanton, thanks for the offer of a pm..although no idea how to do that on here but not to worry as there is nothing confidential and info may be of use to others.
Have reseached on the web about locations to stay and all seems to be $300 plus per night for a studio type accom that will sleep 2-3. is this the norm or are there other deals or places to stay that are at this price range but would be recomended? or do we simply need to up the budget.
we will most likey fly into telluride via denver from uk and would like to know what the usual way to get into the location where accom will be. ie bus taxi etc.

are there any hotels you would recomend that would be in the £300 night price range that would sleep 3 in a room or maybe even a single and 1 double.

it lookslike we will be going there but just trying to work out the best way to get there and where to stay as there are no UK based companies that offer telluride as a package so it is all going to be booked independantly which is unusual for british skiers.

thanks
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Telluride airport is pretty close to either the village or the mountain resort. (T is a "two center" mountain)

In general, Telluride village should be less expensive than the mountain resort. There's a gondola linking the two which runs till the wee hour of the night. So staying in either one will be equally convenient.

Quote:
that would sleep 3 in a room or maybe even a single and 1 double

Any motel or hotel that has "2 bed" will do. In NA, 2 bed means 2 double bed.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
flying into Telluride (TEX) via Denver on the same day of departure from Europe is I think still not possible because of the limited flights & nightime restrictions in Telluride.

Most people arrive at the Montrose (MTJ) connect thorough Denver, Newark or Chicago. It about 1hr away in good weather . You can book Taxi buses online . Best book so your in a group to bring cost down. No car is required in Telluride, there is a free bus around town although you can walk everywhere.

Stay downtown not in Mountain village although connected with a free Gondola it only runs to midnight & your be cut off away from the action.

What time of the Season are you going?

You can get places for less than $300 a night.

You might wnat to check here although I think there closed down this month on vacation,

http://www.newsheridan.com/

I know someone who has condos in town
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy