Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Children and ski poles

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone offer advice on when, at what age, or at what standard children should start to use ski poles, please?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Give them poles when they get to 18.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stephen buck, I would have thought as soon as their ski instructors advise. Even if they don't use them for timing a turn, they will probably use them to keep a schuss going as a slope levels, or for poling along on flat ground.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
7 ish in my experience. Depends on each kid's ability
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As long as they ski in plow, I don't give the kids in my groups poles. They get in the way. If parents sow up with poles I tell them we don't use them.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
When they're old enough to remember not to snap them under the chairlift as it comes in to land.

So, sometime after the teens have ended...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I get my four year old to use them as much as possible because they stop him from eating tons of snow and sucking his gloves!! rolling eyes Don't bother with them half the time though, especially when it's really cold as holding them makes his hands get cold quicker. He's not ploughing now, but still doesn't REALLY need them.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My youngest has been using them all the time since he was around 6 but he race trains so I guess that's a bit different and they can get in the way for little ones. A lot of kids like to have poles though and are quite disappointed when they begin and don't use them in my experience.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When they're keen to use them, basically, (and by use I mean actually ski with them, not just want to have them because they see others with them) and take them away if it looks like they're not taking to them well - ie if they ski worse. General rule is minimum of six, confident in intermediate terrain. If I'm confident I have the time to develop the kids enough to use their poles effectively I don't mind them starting with them a bit earlier, and I'll sway towards taking them away from group lesson/kids on holiday, because there's less time and more pressing things to work on to make skiing as fun as possible.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy