Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASP Ski Patrol Courses

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking for a bit of advice if any one can help, I'll try not to ramble on to much.

Started working on a high rope course this year and will be laid off in Nov at the latest, considering doing it again next year but won't start full time again till April. That obviously ties in well with the ski season, however done seasons abroad (and I'm BASI L1, but don't enjoy teaching) and doesn't feel right for this coming season and started looking in to BASP Ski Patrol Courses. I tick all the boxes for all the pre-requisites (BASP 2 day 1st aid course, slope experience, although I need to get BASP membership), I'm one of only 5 rescue trained in my current work and feel as though I'd enjoy the course and it would look good on the CV even if I never used it, and at £165 (+ accom, travel, etc) it's not mega bucks!

As I said my current work fits in well around the ski season and I have mates in Glasgow and Aviemore so could relocate for the winter. The course however puts you at a trainee level, how much work experience is needed to get to Resort Patroller or even National Patroller? How many patrollers do the likes of Cairngorm, Nevis, Glencoe, etc take on and how many are returnee's/new? Any alternative options I've over looked?

Any advice appreciated, thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would go straight to the horses mouth on this one - contact the patrol directors at the resorts / via BASP for the best advice. Think they used to do "open days" during some of the training courses in the autumn, but they will i'm sure speak to you anytime. they've (BASP) got a good facebook page too if you aint already seen it
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BASP Ski Patrol could be a fun course, and you would probably learn lots.
However full time employment opportunities would be limited - and also highly dependent on the weather and snow.....
There are obviously only 5 ski resorts in Scotland. each only has a handful of full time ski patrollers that actually get paid (most of whom come back every year).
Some of the resorts have volunteers that help out at weekends - so that could be a good way to get your foot in the door.
Most of the Scottish ski patrollers that I know have other jobs to pay their bills (some of them work as doctors / architects / outdoor education or IT in their day jobs etc!).

Your best bet would be to contact the resorts & BASP first, and also get your face known.
When an opportunity does come up then you would be well placed to take advantage.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 16-05-11 14:45; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
barry, I will contact them to confirm work hours, etc when I've made a slightly firmer decision that I want to do the course. It's not till Dec so got time to mull it over. Didn't know about a facebook page, will have a look!

I've had another thought if any of the Lake District or Pennine resorts are 'worthy' of signing off tasks in the BASP log book? If so I'd consider giving my time up for free to help out these 'club' resorts whilst work at home for the winter! Again the most obvious answer is to phone BASI!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Haggis_Trap, thanks for the info. Seems like I need to make some calls!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If thinking about Scotland I'd contact Cairngorm in the first instance, they have the most patrollers and the longest season and in the last couple of years have taken on quite a few new faces. Even if they aren't hiring you could ask them for some advice - head of winter operations Colin Matthew, his e-mail addy is on the website so is in the public domain so I'll reproduce it here: colin.matthew@cairngormmountain.org

Best of luck Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
^ If your emailing... then worth remembering that resorts almost always looking for seasonal lift operators / ticket office staff / ski instructors & cafe staff etc. Potentially more likely options if you really want to take a punt and work a ski season in Scotland. Most of them start recruiting in the Autumn. Other roles like ski patrol / piste grooming etc generally tends to be folk that have been around the resort for a few years (same everywhere on the globe really).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
roga, Haggis_Trap, thanks for the insight.

Will take while before I decide if I'll go for it but will defo email a few mountains before I do. I appreciate you won't get paid if the hill is closed so need to look at the bank statements!

If anyone from the English hills has any info if any work experience would count at there slopes, it would be good to hear off you but again I'll ask when I phone BASP.

Thanks again! Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy