Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Longest indoor snowslope in UK to be built near Bristol?

Poster: A snowHead
Called the Leisuredome, what could be the longest snowslope in the UK is planned for a former RAF camp near Bristol. The slope will be 210m long and is in the final stages of planning and consultation. The start date for groundworks is Autumn 2011 and the opening date is sometime in 2013....This topic is covered in detail in the Piste at: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=54921#1322782
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Living locally (Bristol) this is great news and I'm excited to see this project (hopefully) come to fruition. snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Too short and unsteep.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
el Hen, Snoasis planned near Ipswich is going to be over 400M long. They hope to start work before the end of the year.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Plugboy, haven't they been saying that for a while?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
MoodyFFS, a very long time rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Why are companies still planning to build these things on stilts? Are there really no hills they could use? Or does that mean there's less room for the shops? rolling eyes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
IMO 210m is better than 175m or whatever the length of the others in the UK is but of course I'd love to see a 500m slope or bigger.

If, and it seems to me a big IF, the Snoasis thing finally get's off the ground then yes it'll be the biggest but it's rather further away from me than WSM is so I won't be a regular!

The building isn't on stilts, the area below the slope is being utilised for other activities so no stilts necessary.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd love to see one using the Danish "fold" technique... where the start point and end point are on top of each other with a connecting lift... you can double your length using practically the same land footprint Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bumps please....ok at least some mild undulation would be good
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
MoodyFFS, is that using some kind of paternoster lift?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
andyph, what's a paternoster lift?? Embarassed
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Here is the example I saw... don't think it's close to being real but you get the idea:

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MoodyFFS, don't think this will work, but let's try...

Have to make it ski-in/ski-out and some kind of gate mechanism to stop accidentally chopping off the tips or tails of skis, but could be fun...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
andyph, I like it... surely a liftie could establish when it's safe... as long as they have their fag on the go they'll be fine... just need the bottom lift to stop at the same time as the bottom lift for loading and unloading...
snow report
MoodyFFS, there is no door you just step in (skis off) and step out at the top, there are no doors
Used to have one of these in Heathrow when i worked there.

snow report
love it, new facility planned and still some people manage to gripe, oh well rolling eyes from the presentation the slope is 'undulating' and has different agles along its length.
As to building on a hill, such as Landgraff, brilliant idea, we could have some really long slopes, trouble is youd never get it past the 'tree huggers' and NIMBY's!!!

Personally, glad to see someones doing something rather than sitting back and moaning about everything, but each to their own.....
ski holidays
iskar, I guess the people "griping" were just maybe hoping for something a little different rather than simply more of the same! Despite it being a bit crappy, the turn at Tamworth makes things a tiny bit more interesting... I do wonder though whether the ski slopes are really just a vehicle for shops and restaurants... do the slopes actually make any money in their own right?
snow conditions
Hmm. Its not a dome.
snow conditions
planning has now been submitted
snow report
iskar, Thanks for the update.
snow conditions
iskar, any details of the final application online?
snow conditions
roga, Not sure online yet but if you use

http://wam.n-somerset.gov.uk/MULTIWAM/searchsubmit/performOption.do?action=search&appType=planning

and search using 'locking' in the street name field then that ought to find it when it goes up.
snow conditions
Thanks cad99uk snowHead
snow report
it will take a little while to appear, i dont think the next planning meeting is until July though.
when searching put in 'locking parklands' Razz
ski holidays
Application online. Although it shows up as planning application for access the supporting docs show the leisuredome that the access is for.

http://wam.n-somerset.gov.uk/MULTIWAM/showCaseFile.do;jsessionid=F4B91FDA86346DCDC46C17B540F50A0D?action=show&appType=Planning&appNumber=11/P/0926/F
snow conditions
Good spot cad99uk but surely the actual Leisuredome application will be a seperate planning application?
snow report
Aha, found it! Toofy Grin

It's application number 11/P/0923/F2 and dated the same as the other one mentioned above.

Details and full plans can be seen here
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
to my eye this isnt actually the planning application for the leisuredome, its only for the access roads on to the old camp, all be it with the leisuredome being the intended destination ......
ski holidays
ignore me NehNeh just seen roga's post Embarassed
snow report
roga, I think the actual application went up after I posted my link. Thanks for the update. See you there for first tracks snowHead
snow report
cad99uk wrote:
roga, I think the actual application went up after I posted my link. Thanks for the update.

Yeah, it wasn't there earlier for sure so must have just gone up.
Quote:
See you there for first tracks snowHead

2013 fingers crossed - first tracks sounds good snowHead
latest report
By the way people can feed back on the proposals (hopefully showing support) by using the "Comment On Application" link at the top of the North Somerset Council Case file page.

All comments so far are positive but there are few local comments so I'm sure it'd help if anyone in the WSM council area made some positive comments too. I'm in Bristol but will add my comments too - I'd say the more support the better! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
With regards the above post on making your comments about the proposed Leisuredome, objections on the planning website (all local, some of whom clearly haven't read the transport proposals) now stand at 5 whereas support is at 7 - a few more objections and they'll outweigh the support!

Can I underline that if you want this project to go ahead now is the time to support it!

Latest from the Leisuredome guys:
Quote:
Just to update you on the latest situation regarding the Leisuredome project.

The planning application was submitted on 25th May 2011, we are expecting a decision within three months.

We could do with all the support we can get to help Leisuredome through the planning process. If you are a fan of the project and would like to see the Leisuredome come to fruition please log on to the North Somerset Planning website, address below;

http://wam.n-somerset.gov.uk/MULTIWAM/findCaseFile.do;jsessionid=ED4D4227B9D3E916CD9D8C140072AA5B?appNumber=11%2FP%2F0923%2FF&appType=planning

Please register your support
ski holidays
Good news today, the planning committee report is now posted on the North Somerset website and is recommending approval of the application subject to certain provisions. You can read the whole report here

There is also a notice on the website of a committee meeting, which I presume is a consultation exercise prior to a final decision and hopefully won't delay final approval - more details are here in the thread in The Piste section of Snowheads
latest report
A full planning comittee meeting was held this evening and planning permission was approved unanimously snowHead
ski holidays
Some news reports coming out:
£50million Leisuredome gets planning approval
Major Boost For Weston Economy

As the articles point out planning still has to be signed off by the Secretary of State but given his final approval leisuredome hope to start building in December (I was told September/October at one point but plans may have changed ... or the press have got the wrong date!).
snow conditions
Great news:

"Leisuredome are delighted to advise, that North Somerset Council has received confirmation from the National Planning Case Unit that the LeisureDome Planning Application has been endorsed by the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, so now has FULL PLANNING CONSENT. "

Very Happy
snow conditions
What happened to the one in Sunderland? was that not meant to be ready this summer?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy