Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New BASI Alpine manual

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone else got this yet or intending to order it?

I received a copy of the new manual today and on a quick first look it seems to be a lot better than the old one and incorporates the most important elements of the generic manual too. It's a lot better laid out and is broken into clear, colour coded, topics and obviously updated to reflect up to date theory and practice. It also has extra chapters on Mountain weather, safety, first aid, off piste and avalanches as well as a toolbox section info on drills, not sure yet if that's an improvement on the old manual but I hope so given I found the old one of limited use, particularly for more advanced clients.

All in all on first glance it seems a definite improvement although the old section on the history of BASI seems to have disappeared (I haven't found one yet at least) which is a shame given it gave a decent history of BASIs development over the last 49 years.

I now need to go away and have a good read of it so I can evaluate it fully. Toofy Grin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I almost bought it a couple of days ago then noticed £25 + £15 P&P!

I'm sure I'll be able to get one cheaper another way.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I paid £8 P&P but it 'aint cheap for sure!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Simple question, why isn't it available on CD/DVD?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
roga, hmmm, you paid £8, I could've sworn it was £15, it's £9 for me now - maybe you're held in higher regard! wink Anyway, bought it now in case it's £10 tomorrow. Might be £7 though...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Spyderman, I asked and got no answer but I'm guessing it's because it's easy to illegally create copies and share ... or they can't be bothered Wink I'd like to have digital copy as well as the printed version, it'd be really useful to print off small sections as and when necessary or to carry it around on my laptop instead of having to carry the book as well ... it's so 20th century man! Madeye-Smiley

slikedges, strange if people are getting different P&P rates - surely a mistake ... and even stranger if I'm held in higher regard, that's deffo a mistake! Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
roga, The CSIA manual has been issued with a CD as well for years. How about a downloadable version then if they're worried about people rinsing of copies.

It is BASI though, surprised it isn't on stone tablets.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Y'know they did a CD of the old manual back in 1996 IIRC ... I have a copy (made by a mate recently lol) Razz
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Only had a quick look through it and it does seem to be an improvement. It's also just one manual rather than two (alpine and teaching in separate volumes), so a little bit cheaper to buy. It's quite a hefty tome so I'm not surprised the P&P is expensive. It's also got one of my photos in it, so it must be brilliant Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, photo of you or one you took?!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
beanie1, one I took. It's the one in the mountain safety section of Alison Culshaw doing a big rutsch block test. Took it on my MS course a couple of seasons ago.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well for what its worth the new manual I s a Huge Improvement on it the previous version its layout is more logical and it also gives very clear guidance on what is required for each level of the BASI system.

I would say a big well done to those involved in the re-writing it is a much more professional product, my only gripe is it still has no index, but given its layout is so much better that is less of an inssue now than it was with the old one.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Received my copy this morning. Can't wait to pour over it tonight. Looks good from just flicking through it.
Page 268 for the aforementioned photo Cool
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy