Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to get a job in Val D'isere

Poster: A snowHead
apologies...i fear this may be in the wrong forum. but to the topic: my friend is currently searching for a job specifically in val d'isere (at a push tignes), this is because i am going to be there next season as well. does anyone have any tips/hints when applying/being interviewed for jobs? but more usefully, what websites would you all recommend? so far he's using workaseason and natives. he has an interview on monday but for a job which he wasn't able to specify the location of. if anyone has any hints or tips they'd be hugely appreciated!

thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pdx, Hi,, The best way to do is to go their in November and just knock doors and ask for a job, thats the most easy way to do, I was doing that way when i was make my seasons, and alot of peple I know have done the same Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bell yer buddies who already have a job there.

It's not what you know...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
i don't nor does he know anyone who have jobs there. i'm going to be there for the season to complete an instructors course. now that you've said that though, i think i'll send the company i'm doing it with an email and enquire!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Get over there for a week in November and go into every bar with an up to date CV, positive attitude, and offer them blood, sweat and tears for very little money and someone will give them a job.

Otherwise, apply to several TOs and other companies and try and find one which lets you specify where you want to go. If he has specific knowledge of VDI then he stands a better chance - if I worked for a TO and you told me you wanted to go there I'd do what I could, if it was just because a mate was out there I'd question whether I want someone that can't do something for themselves.

But natives is your best bet for help on this.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Email every bar/(private?) chalet/hotel or other business you can find that operates just in VdI. Get on the website and see if there is a job section on it. If that fails then head out in November.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Apply to all the TOs which operate in Val d'Isere. Find out before interview whether they will place staff in a particular resort/property before the season, and if not, decline the interview - it's a popular resort and there's no point in wasting effort on the off-chance that they might come up trumps. Start with YSE, Le Ski, Skiworld and SkiVal. Don't bother with TUI - they place staff on the training course.

If it's Anglophone work (s)he's after, also try the Brit-run bars. They don't advertise much because they're usually knee-deep in applications, so an e-mailed cv is the way to go. Getting over there in August and going round the bars before the pre-season rush can also pay dividends.

If your mate speaks French, try here: www.pole-emploi.fr - it's the French jobcentre website, and most seasonal employers advertise on it. Jobs will start appearing from September onwards. There's usually a job fair in Albertville around October, where lots of employers will take on staff on the spot. Best ski time jobs are usually shelf stacking, kitchen work and bar.

Going out on spec at the beginning of the season is a last option - OK some people get jobs that way, but far more of them go home skint after a month, especially in Val d'Isere, where there are half a dozen ski bums chasing every job. TOs these days have a waiting list as long as your arm of vetted and interviewed candidates, all of them sitting by the phone 24/7 with bags packed and ready to roll within five minutes of the call - they're not taking much in the way of random in-resort candidates any more. (Different story in February when the reserve list has evaporated, mind.)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I got my first ski job in Val d'Isere using http://www.freeradicals.co.uk

They placed us with Finlays who alas have now gone bust but they set us on the path to snow heaven wink

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 17-05-11 16:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gravystuffing, quiet in your place today? wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hells Bells, no I think they're working on the roof but I'm home in Morecambe at the moment Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks for all the replies guys! my friend had his first interview yesterday, and thinks it went quite well which is good, they did ask him where he'd be ideally be wanted to located. i shall pass on the freeradicals side gravystuffing, thanks! looking at all of these websites there aren't that many jobs yet, i guess they will still be advertised for months longer?

is going out in november an actual option? we may drive out there for a few days if it's worth it.

in regards to english run bars, i've told him apply to Dicks Tea Bar and Banana Bar - are there any other english run bars? i don't seem to remember many from when i was last in VD.

thanks again
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Google, and look on the resort website.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi,

Have a look at Skibeat - they have chalets in Val (in La Daille - the small village as you come into resort) and they place you at interview if you have a preference.

Happy hunting!!

Heather
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hi,

my friend got a call from workaseason today to say that he had secured a job as a hotel assistant in VD for next year!
thanks for all the advice guys!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That's good news - have a great time!!
snow report
Lucky sod. You'll love it. See you next Jan.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy