Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suggestions for a change from Morzine for 3 generation family trip 2012 please!

Poster: A snowHead
Having spent the last 10 years holidaying in Morzine some members of the family feel it is time for a change!
Ranging from 6 to 66 we need something for everyone but Granny no longer skis but still enjoys snow-shoeing so needs access to good walking routes too.
Thinking possibly Austria or Italy as a change but any specific resorts and/or hotels would be great.
Last year in Morzine we were in a central hotel with kitchenette to make breakfast, lunches etc but the benefit of usual hotel facilities - bar, playroom, outdoor pool etc which kept all the family happy!
All ideas gratefully received - Thank you!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We found Courchevel 1650 to have a similar feel to Morzine but will give you a bit of variety and for keen skiiers access to the 3 valleys. We liked it, and would go back quite happily. Worth considering, and there's several apartments, chalets and hotels to choose from.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowyme, welcome to snowHead

you are going to get everyone pimping their favourite, so I might as well start the ball rolling!

Arc 1950 is a sympathetically purpose built, no-traffic set of apartments within a series of hotel-like complexes (ie receptions, pools in and out, saunas, hottubs, gyms, bars, restaurants, plenty of shops) in the heart of the Paradiski area.
Approx 750m from end to end so everything is convenient. The pistes come through the centre of the village, so it is truly ski-in out.

Daily early-evening street entertainments - roasting marsh mallows for example - torch-lit descent and such like are all thrown in, and mean there is plenty do for every generation. There are snow shoeing walks around the domain seemingly going all the time (although I confess, not sure where they start from!), as well as dog sledding just down the hill.

Foot access via a free lift to 2000 for a change of scenery, plus free buses to 1650, 1800 give other options too, and pedestrian access to many of the on-slope facilities mean it should be ideal for a multi-generational group as you outline. Check the website http://www.arc1950.com/en/ - it is still showing the winter option.

Declared interest: we do own an apartment there. (and hence, apologies to other sH for blatant upselling... but you know I love the place).

AR
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd recommend Obergurgl in Austria.

Really nice family resort. Great ski school. Walking/cross country routes. Snow-sure. Good accomodation. Fantastic food. Great facilities. Shortish transfer.

Look it up
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi,

Have a think about La Plagne which gives you access to 425km of piste across the whole of the Paradiski area, and caters for everything from parks and half pipes to gentle scenic blue runs; scary glacier off piste skiing to relaxing cafe terraces with beautiful views.

Travelling with Grandmother I'd recommend one of the lower villages which tend to have more walking paths and snowshoeing routes. Have a look at Montalbert, Champagny, La Roche, Montchavin and Les Coches (where we have our chalet) all of which are real villages with walking paths and snow shoe routes close by.

Reflex, Oxygene and Evolution 2 are probably the ski schools with the best reputations in the area and, Oxygene offer sit skis too if Grandmother wants to get out onto the piste for a day . . . .

Happy planning!
Heather
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Look at Wengen in Switzerland, great for non-skiers and many of the mountain restaurants are accessible by train and cable car so everyone can meet up for lunch.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You will struggle to find somewhere with the extent of the PDS that isn't also rather pricey. Presuming that's not critical though, in no particular order,

- Grand Massif eg Samoens

- Champoluc/Monte Rosa

- Wengen or Murren

- 4 vallees staying somewhere other than Verbier

I'd think you'd be able to find similar hotel set ups most places you go, mini kitchettes are pretty common in "family" hotels
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wow! Thank you for all your responses, definately plenty of research to do now! Obergurgl looks tempting! Thanks again!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Further to Snow and Sunshine's recommendation here are the winter walks in the Les Coches area and of course Paradiski runs for 425Km in each direction from Les Coches' central location
Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Further to Snow and Sunshine's recommendation here are the winter walks in the Les Coches area

http://hiver.montchavin-lescoches.com/en/winter-montchavin/introduction-montchavin/activities-and-recreation-montchavin/relaxed-rhythm/foot-paths.html

and for snow-shoeing

http://hiver.montchavin-lescoches.com/images/stories/Montchavin/decouverte/sentiers.pdf

For skiing the Paradiski http://en.paradiski.com/ runs across 425Km in each direction from Les Coches' central location Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gravystuffing wrote:

thanks
I like the recommendation too. Shame you are booked for Easter. I will consult the school diary again.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Take a look at Westendorf too (Hotel Glockenstuhl is lovely, and offers snowshoe trips etc). I've been with Grandparents before and they loved it.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 10-06-11 22:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ski amade (we've been several places) has always worked well for mixed ski/no ski including 3 generations for us - BUT no one snow shoes so can't vouch for that!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowyme, I have pm'd a little about us and Ski Amadé...

a.j., a friend of mine runs a winter activity company that includes snow shoeing... http://www.austrianalpineactivities.com
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This thread is full of pimps...
snow conditions
beanie1 wrote:
Look at Wengen in Switzerland, great for non-skiers and many of the mountain restaurants are accessible by train and cable car so everyone can meet up for lunch.

lunch in Swiss Wengen v lunch in French(ish) Morzine = skint very quickly
snow report
rayscoops, Really? Personally i find France as if not more expensive than Switzerland now given the strength of the Euro.
latest report
beanie1, has CHF not strengthened about 20% in the last 6 months campared to euro at about 10% change?

anyhoo, hows about serre chevalier? i quite liked it when i was there and came across a number of snowshoeing trails/cross country tracks when a bit lost off piste Laughing
snow report
Was also going to recommend you have a look at Serre Che - you get the whole valley to go at with Briancon and it's old town up to Monetier with the fantastic baths so there's lots to do for different ages. You can gondola up from lots of points to meet non-skiers for lunch and there's a good range of runs. If you want ski schools would also recommend Gavin at New Gen.
snow conditions
Quote:

Thinking possibly Austria

Heaven forbid that I should recommend anywhere specific, but, as a non-skier, Granny may find dancing on the tables, Austrian-style, a lot more fun than some of the places that have been suggested - various grannies of my acquaintance absolutely love the Austrian apres-ski party atmosphere, and it makes less of a hole in their pensions than the likes of Courchevel et al. (She might have to put up with being grabbed at regular intervals though).
snow report
snowyme, Another vote for Champoluc. Also St Martin de Bellevile and Samoens both have a similar feel to Morzine and access to oodles of skiing. Samoens would be the pick for snow shoeing, and even has a botanical garden thats lovely in March / April. St amrtin has more altitude. Champoluc not so good for self catering.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy