Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland 2011/2012

Poster: A snowHead
Dot., have you got a contact at Snowsports Scotland we should give updated details to? The e-mail address I used has been compromised so I just want to update them with the new one.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
meh PM me your name and new email address and I'll get it updated. We are creating a new website for the cup that I'll launch next week but in the mean time any info will be on the Coe Cup facebook page.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sweet, PM sent and I found the FB page yesterday. Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Some photos from Glencoe on Thursday, despite the Christmas Thaw the mountain is looking pretty good for the first week of January with a good consolidated base in place.

^Plateau Poma doing it's thing.

^Looking up the mountain from the Plateau Poma. Main snowfields well loaded.

More: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=750
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
How do you all think the resorts will hold up to the rain forecast on Wednesday?

I'm off Thursday and hoping to head up
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
How do you all think the resorts will hold up to the rain forecast on Wednesday?

I'm off Thursday and hoping to head up
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
1873Chris, difficult to say but it's not stupidly warm in the east although the west might be a different matter and the rainy period is not that prolonged. Conversely there's a far deeper base in the west which should hold up better than in the east (particularly at Cairngorm) but temps are looking warmer in the west and there's more rain forecast too. Hopefully there's enough of a base to survive okay and with some snow forecast, at least in the east, as the temperature drops again on Thursday there's reason to be hopeful.

It's the old story really, wait and see and keep it flexible would be my advice! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We will be flexible cos we're only an hour down the road from Glencoe so can go just about anywhere but prefer the journey up the west coast.

Was really wondering how good the snow bases are at all the resorts cos looking at the forecast rain in the west, I would like to be optimistic but I can see broken up tracks and lots of rocks Sad

Really hope I'm wrong tho
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just an update on the Back Corries at Nevis Range

The west is holding out best at the moment with spring like conditions with gusty winds affecting uplift regularly. Cooler temps will come in from Thursday so any perception that falls will be snow at Glencoe & Nevis Range. Lots of sunshine forecast for a change not seen the sun up here for ages. Cool

If the winds allow might go up Wednesday for a wee slide will post an update on conditions if I get out...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Was anyone out today?
Still contemplating tomorrow but not decided yet
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looks like the wind should moderate first in the West for Thursday, then it's fine and settled with light winds through the weekend period. The West has the most extensive base by a long distance, Glenshee though is still open out to Coire Fionn. Though more limited CairnGorm and the Lecht are also open and it should be good to get out play in the sun and with little wind.

More experienced and advanced should probably head west this weekend, though Glenshee still has some good offerings too. Less experienced from first timers to those progressing to longer green runs then CairnGorm will be the clear pick with good cover in the Top Basin on the runs served by the Ptarmigan and Ciste Tows. Sharpen your edges and look out the shades!

http://youtube.com/v/ieAnhwCeYSU
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Went up to glencoe today and it turned out much better than I thought it would

Was pretty solid all day but got better as the day went on
Only skied the main basin and went down the wall to go to the cafe and it was all nice and smooth and improved through the day as a little snow accumulated

Fun day had by all so even though there ain't much snow there's still fun to be had so get out there

Maybe only had 10 people on the hill at most today

Also good job from the staff harvesting snow to get uptracks complete and few thin bits sorted
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hello everyone!

Meant to be going on my first ever ski trip to scotland in february halfterm (12th feb). Looking at the conditions i'm getting a bit worried!

I know noone can predict the future, but how does this year compare to previous years? Is there likely to be any more snow?

Thanks for any answers Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As I understand it there's some pretty good potential for snow late next week/next weekend if the ECM forecast model plays out... All seems to be a bit up in the air at the moment though!

There will be some more snow at some point, for sure. Scotland's always variable but I reckon chances are fairly good that there will be a decent amount of stuff open. As you said, February's far too far away to make any solid predictions.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks bob snowHead

Guess its just a case of wait and see, andhope that somehotels are still availabe!!
latest report
latest Glencoe update here:

http://hosted-p0.vresp.com/578510/55a09fdc5b/ARCHIVE

Be great if I could just cut n paste the info from the above link as it tends to be pretty good and honest IMHO, anyone know if that is possible???
ski holidays
Friday dawned clear and frosty with no wind at Glencoe, setting the scene for the weekend across the Highlands. CairnGorm might just have a slightly bit more from it's dusting of new snow, but the base is most extensive in the West, with overall Glencoe edging it - the emphasis is on edges though for this weekend as the snow is firm to hard packed everywhere. Fluctuating freezing levels and unpredictable inversion potential mean it's well neigh impossible to predict if it may soften up and it could well soften up on one location and aspect and not another.

From Glencoe today I'd say a reasonable skier with good edges can have a blast, blunt edges will be a bad day at the office, except for Mugs Alley which was a bit looser. But the sun is shining and the wind not blowing (Glencoe's old ticket office that has stood on the Plateau since the 60s, the building with the white 'Ski Glencoe' sign between the Cafe and Cliffhanger was the latest building to succumb to the relentless storms on Wednesday).

^At the top of the Main Basin.

Full report and more pix: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=754
ski holidays
Some photos from CairnGorm Mountain on Saturday, where surface conditions were much better than many feared they might be. A light dusting of fresh early hours of Friday coupled with extensive pisting with the winchcat and piste bashers fitted with new tillers gave a nice layer of soft snow that started off as sweet corduroy. Fine and settled under high pressure, unbroken sunshine and no wind on Saturday.

^One of 2 boxes on Coire Cas. Also 2 rails, a kicker and a roller.

^Ciste Bowl had best riding with least people! All under winter sunshine from blue skies.

Full Report/Pix: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=755

There are more photos in the Public Reports, including from H11LLy:

More: http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,2845

More snow would always be nice, but with fine weather it's definitely worth getting out for a play after so much stormy weather this winter.
snow report

The weather on the West coast of Scotland has been sweet for a change, sunshine & light winds have been present for the past four days.

Had a great weekend out with friends jibbing on the Summit at Nevis Range & shredding a combination of on piste groomed & icy off piste... Shocked

Snow is in the forecast for the coming days with the wind speeds set to increase again as perception is brought in of the Atlantic.

The Backs are still loaded but now solid with the low temps, A good snow fall will turn this area into backcountry playground.... Very Happy

For more info & pics visit the Back Corrie Blog
snow report
BackCorriesNR, Great photo mate!
ski holidays
Cheers Rick, it was a sweet day in the sunshine for a change. Very Happy

There as been snow showers all day over the west coast of Scotland, the Back Corries at Nevis Range are again catching the wind blown snow on strong westerlys.

Looking like it will be windy into the weekend but the snow will accumulate.
ski holidays
BackCorriesNR, loving the silhouetted shapes being thrown Wink
ski holidays
heavy showers in Aviemore this avvo/evening. maybe 3 quarters of an inch lying on the ground
snow report
barry wrote:
heavy showers in Aviemore this avvo/evening. maybe 3 quarters of an inch lying on the ground

looking at the webcams it looks as though the Mountain could need it!
snow report
^ has needed it for weeks now. winter's back on
snow conditions
How is the Cairngorm snowgun experiment working?

How many days has it operated? How much snow has it pumped out so far?

This was the Glenshee gun working a few days ago.

Some great pix of Scotland from the BBC and SAIS here.
latest report
Whitegold, The snow cannon has been working since last Friday, not sure about today but from Colin's blog they are very happy with it.
ski holidays
larry1950, Thanks.

Any stats or links or pix?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anybody at the Coe this weekend. Am heading up tomorrow and doing the carpark caravan thing for the weekend.
ski holidays
Whitegold, Try this link http://www.cairngormmountain.co.uk/blog-entry/working-moonlight I haven't taken any photos but maybe there was someone else up there over the weekend who did.
snow report
Dot., planning on being there Sunday but the weather looks not too promising and a lot of rain forecast for tomorrow. We'll see.
snow report
larry1950 wrote:
Whitegold, Try this link http://www.cairngormmountain.co.uk/blog-entry/working-moonlight I haven't taken any photos but maybe there was someone else up there over the weekend who did.

Good link.

Based on my reading of the blog, they still seem afraid to make the full investment needed.
latest report
Nevis Range Closed today due to 100mph winds... Shocked

Managed to get a slide Friday afternoon, Goose was loaded with POW but the rest of the hill is getting ripped apart by the strong westerlys but on the plus side its all getting blown into the Backs which are loading all the time.

Didn't manage to get in as the wind was blowing the snow over from the front of the hill into the Corries and vis was near impossible.

Spent some time in the Transceiver Park as the winds picked up, all in all had a good afternoon.

For more info & pics visit the Back Corrie Blog http://backcorries.wordpress.com/
latest report
They've recorded 111mph at the bottom of the access at Glencoe today. Lighter winds now forecast for tomorrow with 40mph and gusts to 60. Should be a goer.
snow report
Probably going to go for a slide Thursday/Friday weather dependant if anyone is about for some turns.
ski holidays
CairnGorm Mountain on Friday, 4-6inches of windblown fresh, much improved the open terrain with machine packed powder up top. Wet snow, thaw, refreeze overnight then more new snow and drifting on Saturday:

http://youtube.com/v/PvNnGyvH6vs
snow report
Winterhighland, looking better for sure - who are the guys in the blue jackets?
ski holidays
roga, they're from the Abernethy Outdoor Centre.
snow conditions
Monday looks like the day to get up for a slide if you can this week. More snow showers coming in this evening, everywhere should get more snow tonight, at least a couple of inches at Nevis Range still to come, possibly twice that at Glencoe if the NMM mesoscale model is on the money.
snow report
Photos from Andy at Glencoeo on Sun 22nd.

^The famous Haggis Trap almost obliterated by drifting snow in the Main Basin.

More: http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,2851
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy