Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

FIS rules are snowboardist

Poster: A snowHead
Just came across this

Quote:
The FIS (International Ski Federation) has established 10 rules for the conduct of skiers and snowboarders. They are:
Basic Rule
1. Do not endanger or prejudice others.
Skiing/Riding Rules
2. Ski/Ride in control. Adapt your manner and speed to your ability and to the general
conditions on the mountain.
3. The skier/rider in front has priority. Leave enough space.
4. Leave plenty of space when overtaking a slower skier/rider.
5. Look up and down the mountain each time before starting.
Stopped/Climbing
6. Only stop at the edge of the piste or where you can easily be seen.
7. When climbing up or down, always keep to the side of the piste.
Signs
8. Obey all signs and marks - they are for your safety.
Action in Case of Accidents
9. Provide help and alert the rescue services.
10. All those persons involved in an accident, including witnesses, must exchange names and
addresses.
Rules Specific to Snowboarders
1. Always make sure the front leg is tethered to the board
2. Always check the slope before starting a turn but especially on the heel side.
3. Having the ability to ski doesn‟t mean you can snowboard.
4. Do not attempt this sport without qualified instruction.

All the above rules are binding in law and apply to both skiers and snowboarders.

Must admit that I'd never realised the last 4 even existed and am pleased to say I've been in flagrant breach of all 4 of them (even allowing for the fact that No 3 isn't even a rule but a statement of teh bleedin obvious). Binding in what law. No-one uses leashes these days and why are boarders mandated to look uphill before each turn ayet skiers can simply rejoice in their downhill priority.

Asses.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fatbob, are those for real ? surely a wind-up Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob, can you tell me why no one uses a leash these days ?

Having seen one nasty accident caused by a runaway snowboard hitting someone in the head and having personally stopped another runaway snowboard I'd have thought leashes were sensible, after all skis have breaks on (and have for many years) but before breaks we had a leash on each ski, in the lawyered up society we now seem to live in I'd have thought that anyone causing an injury due to a runaway board could potentially be in serious legal trouble, plus they might find their insurance invalidated as well Confused
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's a wind up that BASI have incorporated into their otherwise quite po-faced material then.

http://www.basi.org.uk/docs/Precourse_info_booklet_v5_Aug%2010.pdf

Page 9. If so hats off to them for having a sense of humour.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
D G Orf, Faff factor plus lack of utility. Runaway snowboards are caused by careless users not lack of leashes i.e. putting down their snowboard on non flat surfaces without putting a foot on it. Unless the user had a very long (always on) leash they'd still lose the board as they wouldn't have clipped into the leash. The rule that most resorts adopted was based on a fundamental misunderstanding of the nature of snowboard bindings i.e. they don't release and most people got round it by having comedy leashes which amounted to a short piece of string and a quick clip.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

skis have breaks

Sounds like you need a new pair. Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lizzard, Gah too many hours spent focusing on the damn screen this week ... brain turning to mush, I should of course have typed brakes Embarassed
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not on the FIS website ....

http://www.fis-ski.com/uk/insidefis/fisgeneralrules/10fisrules.html
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob,
Quote:

No-one uses leashes these days

Excuse my ignorance, as I am skier not a snowboarder, but Cairngorm has loads of signs up saying boarders must use a leash - are they just out of touch? I have never seen these signs elsewhere in europe (and prior to going to Cairngorm didn't know leashes existed for snowboards!

Incidentally, MrsS is doing her Snowsport England level 1 Instructor, and those odd snowboard rules are tacked on to the bottom of the ones she is required to know.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

are they just out of touch?

No, just run by skiers. Leashes are a bit pointless really.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RobinS, Last time I went to Cairngorm was about 12 years ago and one day I was on a board and told I needed a leash. Fortunately I had a piece of cord in my pocket I was able to tie between my binding and boot to technically comply. I'm surprised they still have the policy -definitely out of touch.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatbob, This American article argues the case for snowboarders using leashes. I know its from 1995, but have there been any snowboard equipment changes since then that invalidate it?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've never paid that much attention, apart from being aware of snowboarders ratcheting their straps up prior to launching. Can a boarder be knocked off their board in a similar manner to way bindings can release on a set of skis?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, nah.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
scotia, that's kind of what I assumed, Then I can't see any more use to a boarder for leashes than I can see it for a skier on an ordinary piste.
ski holidays
Megamum, the point is that when you unstrap from the board you can't let it go because it is tied to your leg. Because all boarders are the kind of retards who'd be that careless with £600 worth of kit.
snow conditions
From what I see of boarders on the piste they often unstrap one foot, but there seems a huge leaning towards then hoping around the piste one legged looking a bit like upturned hopping mushrooms whilst trying to put the other foot on the board and gliding a little if they can (they always remind me of the description of the dufflepuds in Narnia), rather than unstrapping the board altogether. Yes, I do sometime see boarders carrying unstrapped boards, bars, tops of gondolas, etc. where they won't do any harm, but generally on the piste they mostly seem attached by one foot or two. I wouldn't have thought that run-away boards were a huge problems requiring a leash rule.
ski holidays
Last Birthday Bash, part way round the Sella Ronda, some of us saw a runaway board. It had got up quite a speed, as it went over bumps on the piste it got airborne to around head height, and could have definitely caused nasty injuries if it had hit someone Skullie . I followed it down the piste as much as I could and eventually saw it veer off the piste into some trees covered area. I guess the owner would have had a long search to find it (if he ever did).
snow conditions
I believe those 4 rules are not part of the FIS rules, they were tagged onto a British document about 20 years ago (part of a campaign sponsored by Visa I think) and was then blindly copied by various people in various governing body documents who assumed it was part of the FIS stuff.
snow conditions
snowrider, That makes sense but does it mean that no-one from BASI critically reads their own material?
ski holidays
I'm possibly the only boarder who does still use a leash. I like the fact it means if I have to take my board off in a dodgy place I can forget about it and let go while clinging onto whatever close-by object is most likely to save me from slipping to my death.

E.g. (off the top of my head) getting to the ab point for Voute at La Grave you traverse across, then climb a pretty steep slope that is normally pretty compacted, if you slipped you would rapidly head off down the pretty rocky Orcieres Droites. It's pretty reassuring to take back foot out kick as big a step as possible, most likely only an inch deep at most, take front foot out and kick a step for that then grab leash to pull up board and climb up to the bolt using board as a handhold.

Skiers have their own problems as their left ski invariably gets caught under an overhang on the ab.
ski holidays
Swirly, So make that three boarders that still use leashes. Smile
snow report
To be fair if I was anywhere near the sort of stuff swirly is talking about I'd be on 2 skis, 2 edges.
snow conditions
fatbob, other than that I agree with your OP though. Also it needs to be said a leash is unlikely to stop most runaway boards as it's generally the result of someone dropping one (and you can't legislate for numptiness on that scale) or them being knocked over when lent against a cafe wall. 2&3 are particularly laughable number 3 could just as evenly say "Just because you can ski doesn't mean you can fly a fighter jet".
snow report
rule 4 seems in particular to be biased. why should snowboarders require instruction but hte same rule not apply to skiers?
latest report
Always check the slope before starting a turn but especially on the heel side. ???!!!???

WTF?

3. The skier/rider in front has priority. Leave enough space. means I don't have to (I tend to anyway because of idiots but all the same).

4. Do not attempt this sport without qualified instruction. I've never had a lesson, does that mean I'm no longer allowed to snowboard even tho I can ride the whole mountain and the park?

I haven't used a leash for years, I'm quite careful about not letting go of my board when putting it on\taking it off\carrying it. In the same way I don't tether myself to my car when driving because I tend not to throw myself out of it!

Pillocks!
latest report
i am amazed at your cavalier attitude to safety , not only to yourself but others around you. and hope you dont have the unfortunate happening of haveing a nasty accident where heaven forbid you are the cause of causeing or being the recipient of some ass hurting you badly. these rules are made by people trying to make our sport safer and more enjoyable for everyone on the slope including beginners and experts alike. dont forget all telemark skiers have leashes and we use them not just for ourselves .
latest report
Telemark skis have leashes because they have the potential to release (although significantly less likely than alpine unless you're a DIN20 rockstar). I've only ever released a tele ski once and that was a bit freakish catching the heel throw in a fall (my toe stayed engaged in the duckbill) . What tele skis don't have is leashes that are attached while you are hiking with them so a tele ski with a leash in that respect is no safer than a snowboard without a leash. Remember it would be a very freakish accident for all 4 non-release straps attaching the boarder to a board to release simultaneously to cause a runaway board. The runaway boards everyone refers to are due to careless users not lack of leash usage.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alastair Pink wrote:
Last Birthday Bash, part way round the Sella Ronda, some of us saw a runaway board. It had got up quite a speed, as it went over bumps on the piste it got airborne to around head height, and could have definitely caused nasty injuries if it had hit someone Skullie . I followed it down the piste as much as I could and eventually saw it veer off the piste into some trees covered area. I guess the owner would have had a long search to find it (if he ever did).

Yes that board would have caused serious damage if it hit someone
ski holidays
Kel, see my first post, I witnessed just such an accident, though I din't really see it as such as I was about 100 M away, was just aware of the person on the other side of piste a little bellow me suddenly fold up and drop to the ground, was only as I (and several others) went to see if there was anything I could do to help, that I saw the snowboard on the ground close to the chaps head, I have no idea what happened to him, he wasn't dead and I don't think he died later (wasn't talked about around resort), but it was certainly a nasty injury, skin split open skull showing through and a lot of blood, very fortunately we were just meters away from a lift station and pro help was there in seconds, he got helicoptered off the slope between 5 and 10 mins after the accident.

I accept that no snowboarder wants to chuck their board down the mountain, but accidents do occur, the board I chased after and stopped was dropped by the girlfriend of a friend of mine, she tripped over and unfortunately let go of the board which landed shiny side down and shot off down the slope, I'd already got my skis on and was waiting for the others so just turned down hill and chased after it, luckily I managed to catch up and nudge it towards some tress where it stopped, not sure what would have happened otherwise, she'd have definitely lost the board either into a ravine, the trees or possibly the river at the bottom, though I doubt it would have made it that far.
ski holidays
I've seen plenty of runaway skis as well - you lot going to tie all your kit to your bodies too? rolling eyes
snow conditions
Lizzard, can skis run away ? i am always worried when my ski buddies lay their skis flat on the ground that they will slide away but the bindings seem to act as brakes
ski holidays
I saw a guy coming down a red run on skis who crashed and the heel piece snapped off his ski. His ski picked up a lot of speed very quickly but i am not advocating leashes for skiers.
ski holidays
rayscoops, yes, on a steep icy slope.
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
I've seen plenty of runaway skis as well - you lot going to tie all your kit to your bodies too? rolling eyes

No. But I doubt you have ever seen a runaway ski going as fast as the snowboard that Alastair Pink referred to, it must have been doing 80mph. The only reason for a leash on a board is for the numpties who may lay it flat down when not clicked in. Now I am sure you guys would never make such a school boy error, but the fact is their are people who are new to the sport and they may just forget, it's an accident waiting to happen.

Why has no one invented a similar brake device for a snowboard, or maybe they have.
ski holidays
Quote:

Why has no one invented a similar brake device for a snowboard, or maybe they have.

I assume it's down to two things, snow board bindings are very different to ski bindings I thing a brake would be harder to fit under them (especially as the angles change on them) and secondly the width of the board will make it harder to install brakes similar to those mounted on skis.
ski holidays
D G Orf, someone tripping up and dropping their board wouldn't have been avoided by a leash. Even long snowboard leashes that attach at the knee aren't long enough to walk with whilst carrying your board. Several years of hiking up the Brecon Beacons in the snow have taught me that letting go of your board isn't an option, you'd have to go and retrieve it for starters.

This idea that all snowboarders should use leashes because of the actions of a couple of idiots\unfortunates is ridonkulous. How do you cater for the idiots who put their boards down on their bases rather than on their bindings? It's a question of education rather than legislation IMO.

In about 15 weeks away and countless trips to the Beacons I've never seen a runaway snowboard and in the same amount of time I have had one occasion where one of my 4 binding straps broke (leaving my board still very much attached to me with the 3 remaining straps).

I did used to use a leash but found it was really fiddly to put on and it was easier just to get a foot strapped in (TBH I came closer to letting go of my board putting the leash on than when strapping in!)
snow conditions
Quote:

Even long snowboard leashes that attach at the knee aren't long enough to walk with whilst carrying your board

Not true. I do exactly that with mine. It has some elastic stretch in it.
latest report
achilles, well I am sure anythng would run away in those circumstances, but do skis run away in the same boards tend to do on a shallow slope at a mountain cafe etc ? If I do not put my boad 'bindings face down' it will head off on the slightest of inclines - this does not seem to happen with skis
snow report
rayscoops, so I guess you put your board down with 'bindings face down' then no?

cad99uk, so what you're saying is that you are comfortable whilst walking with something tugging at your knee. I've tried that and found it was too uncomfortable (I am 6' with a long body and short legs for my height tho Smile)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy